Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
madeinasia
Starter Motor

Default AU Coolant Fans

Hi

I have an AU 6 cylinder Auto ute.

The Coolant Fans are not coming even when the engine is hotter than normal or when the AC is on.

I have disconnected the wire from the Temperature Sender unit and both fans start working ok.

Is it simply a matter of changing the Sender unit of could it be something more.

If it is the Sender Unit can someone tell me how do I get it out, or even what size spanner is needed

Hope someone can help me

madeinasia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Default Re: AU Coolant Fans

Have you checked the fans themselves? Could be a dust build up inside I had that about a year or 2 ago. The dust built up that heavily it clogged the fan motor.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
madeinasia
Starter Motor

Thanks for your quick reply Sir Henry.

Once I take the Temperature Sender wire off the fans spin fine. I just want to find out if it is the sender before I take it off as it is a difficult job to remove
Old 04-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Is your temp gauge working ok? At running temperature the needle should be sitting between the N and the O on the gauge where it says NORMAL.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
madeinasia
Starter Motor

When the temp sender is connected the gauge is just below normal most of the time however as the fans are not working it will heat up in the city traffic or on hot days. I just want to confirm from somebody here that it is the Temp Sender before proceeding futher
Old 04-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi madeinasia welcome to AFF, I would look at your fan relays too in the fusebox under the bonnet before changing the temp sensor.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
madeinasia
Starter Motor

Hi Maka, you are a star. I swapped out all three relays and bot fans now work as they should. Dont know how I would have got that Temp Sender out. Noel
This user likes this post:
Old 18-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Well done on finding the issue with your fans, hopefully all good now

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeinasia View Post
When the temp sender is connected the gauge is just below normal most of the time however as the fans are not working it will heat up in the city traffic or on hot days. I just want to confirm from somebody here that it is the Temp Sender before proceeding futher
Sorry, I haven't got back to this thread for a while, and I'm glad you got your fans working, but if your temp gauge is sitting below the "N" most of the time then I'd suggest you check your thermostat as it sounds like it's stuck open. This will cause the engine to run cold and the ECU to run in open loop. Basically, it's like running with the choke on all the time so your economy won't be particularly flash if this is the case.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 19-09-2013, 02:54 AM   #10
madeinasia
Starter Motor

Thanks Bush. Normally the Temp Gauge is at 10 o'clock. The thermostat was changed 12 months ago and the system was flushed. If you think that this is too cool I might look at getting another thermostat as I am planning to fit a new heater tap and the heater hoses underneath as there is a slight leak around that area.
Old 19-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

The temp gauge needle should be sitting between the N and the O on the gauge where it says NORMAL if the thermostat is the correct one and is working correctly.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte