Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #61
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Which new TV to buy?

Damo, you can buy TV'S that run off 12 volts pretty easily. Saves stuffing around with power supply and wires etc.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #62
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Anyone know if these new fandangled LED TVs have transformers on the wall plug and run off 12V?

I'm after something I can cut the transformer off and feed it 12V, and it still work.

After something for the back of my GMC Sierra, but all those "caravan" models are like 21" POS, would like to go 40" most likely.
Kogan do it .... so you can get a 12V plug and run it ... and use the transformer plug for home where 240 is used.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #63
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Plasma Plasma Plasma
We have an old 2008 50" Panasonic as well as a newer 50" Full HD 1080p LCD/LED, I will take the Panasonic over the new LCD/LED any day. Watching anything from sport to drama on the LCD/LED it looks like it's a cartoon,
it does? Ive got a SAMSUNG LED and its pictures is by superior to any plasma I have seen. Are your eyes using that cartoonize app?

H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #64
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a good article on leds and plasma`s .

http://www.cnet.com.au/five-lies-you...-339342774.htm
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #65
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
It matters to me. I have a 10 month old son who's just started crawling. Soon he'll be walking and I'll have to strap the plasma down to the TV cabinet so he can't pull it over on to himself. Won't have to worry about the LCD one we have.
BTW, our new Bravia has Corning Gorilla Glass. When people started slipping with their Wi nunchucks and smashing screens, Sony decided that this would not happen with their Bravia models.

The weight of it is 21 kg, so very easy to move around.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #66
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
a good article on leds and plasma`s .

http://www.cnet.com.au/five-lies-you...-339342774.htm
And that just about sums it up - Plasma is still king after all !

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #67
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I don’t think I have ever seen one with the transformer external. You would probably need to ask somebody who repairs them what the internal transformer steps down to. If it’s something close to 12v, then you could probably easily fit a plug and run it off a 12v regulator.
I've seen the smaller sizes with 12v transformers on the end of them, mainly the newer LED style ones though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
I think you can buy an invertor that will do the trick, there is a specific type of invertor for tv's and computer equiptment, I think it is sinewave? The standard type is good for lighting, electric motors, power tools , etc,
You would have to look at the power consumption of your tv / amp to see what size invertor you need, they come in various sizes, and if your ambo does'nt have the dual battery set up you might need one to run your gear for any length of time.
Dick smith/ jaycar have the invertors, probably 4x4 shops and caravan places to.
I've got one already in the Sierra, but using it to power the Xbox 360

I've got a three battery two alternator system happening in the Sierra, two to start the beast and one deep cycle/starting battery for the gear in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Damo, you can buy TV'S that run off 12 volts pretty easily. Saves stuffing around with power supply and wires etc.
Yeah, most of them I've seen are like 22" or there abouts, looking for something a bit bigger than the smaller stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Kogan do it .... so you can get a 12V plug and run it ... and use the transformer plug for home where 240 is used.
Booyah, I'll look into Kogan.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #68
paulb351

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentski View Post
There should be no surprise that they fixed it free of charge, look up what your statutory warranty rights are and you will see that extended warranties are just a money spinner for the seller.
If it had not been fixed for free then consumer affairs would have helped you change Sony's mind
I'm about to go thru that process with my 3 yr old Sony Bravia 52" with faulty lcd panel. Least useful $3200 spent and not happy so far although waiting for the service guy to come and pronounce the corpse dead... Watch this space.
paulb351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #69
Spurious

I have a cheap dicksmith 32" LCD. It was display stock purchased for the 26" price. They didn't have any 26"s in stock even though it was a catalogue item. Had it for bout a year now and no signs of any trouble.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #70
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I have a new 42” LG LED – 3D Smart TV. Was just shy of $1000.

Hands down the best TV I’ve owned. Little bit of ghosting with some 3D games/Movies

But either way, it’s awesome.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #71
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I just bought a Sony 42" - 3D Smart TV and it was less then a grand... Its a great TV too. Just dissapointed I didn't go for the 50" but ill get another soon.

http://www.sony.com.au/product/kdl-42w800a

Got it from JB Hi Fi... he wanted $1200 to start with.. just worked him!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #72
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I bought one of the last Samsung UA50EH6000 models ... no 3D ... no smart TV.
Just for the front lounge room ... thought it'd be ok-ish in regard to quality. But it's better than I expected.

Got it for $795 from Harvey Norman a few months back.

I went into the store the day it went that cheap on their website. The guys in store just put a $895 sign on it ... as that's what they were told .... I told the guy to check the website ... and he checked his system and couldn't believe how cheap it was.

Oh ... don't go on the HD feeds in the shop either ... it's split between 20-odd sets. I took in a BluRay RIP and USB ... salesman was happy to play it. Although advised that these don't play .mkv

Next thing you know is LOTR 1080P is playing on the screen. I was actually impressed with what I say ... it literally matched the quality of screen $1000 more that were playing next to it.

I should have bought a 2nd at that price.

A lot of adjustment in judder/smoothness as well ... for 100hz ... the motion was a lot more fluid that I was expecting. Now to hook the PS3 up to it ... when i get 5 minutes between work and family life.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #73
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

I don't buy anything other than Samsung , I find all TV's look similar visually but the boarder/stand cosmetic look of the Samsung is the best IMO
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post