Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
inventiv

Default AU Turbo setup on eBay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ford-turb...e6b489a&_uhb=1

What are people's thoughts on this..

I've added up the 'extras' list as well and it looks like $2.5k all in..

Good value, quality, and a comprehensive setup? Or not so much?..

inventiv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Default Re: AU Turbo setup on eBay

These kits are cheap and they are for a reason, using cheap components and fittings. However in saying this that doesn’t mean it will be terrible. I had a cheap Turbo set up on my EB running an AU engine back in 05 this was great. However you will need a better fuel pump the stock one just won’t be able to keep up the pressure behind the injectors that the rise of rate fuel regulator will put on it. The intercooler option is defiantly a must, you will most probably need an exhaust system also a 2.5 mandrel cat and back system will be fine for the 200rwkw mark.

What are you intentions for this? What do you expect (hope) to get out of this? If you are looking for some fun and power around 200rwkw then this may be an economical way for you.

There will always be extra costs over the 2.5k. Such as putting the oil return line in the sump, connection of the dump pipe to the standard system, relocating the batery, the intercooler piping may need to be welded to suit ,putting a set of lower rating “gas plugs” will help also, also being an Au the brake booster is plastic and the turbo can melt it and cause it to fail and many other little things. If you are able to do most of it yourself, that’s certainly going to help your budget.

As for quality the turbo is just a cheap one and can last years or it can fail sooner but it is cheap. I endeavoured the turbo route with the Rise of rate reg for a while, but in the end I went with an Aftermarket computer and bigger injectors as it used heaps of fuel and peace of mind it was tuned right.

they is lots of information on turbo'ing Au's here on AFF do a search and ask lots of questions.

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
inventiv

Thanks mate, good feedback!.. deffinitely only after a solid street car for some fun, not chasing big numbers, just a good daily with some fun-factor, 200odd rwkw will do me fine.

To be honest I was contemplating a good n.a. setup (the usual, exhaust, 3.9 diff, cam, etc), but this peaked my interest due to the price, but knowing sweet f.a. about turbo setups I wasn't sure how good this was, I have my answer now.

Not sure how cost-effective this is over a good n.a. setup then, when you factor in the extras you mentioned and then only ending up with a collection of low-quality parts. Maybe spending similar money or a bit less, on an n.a. setup with a little less power but quality items for that budget may be a better bet for a fun streeter?
Old 05-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Not a problem mate, that’s what these forums are about. The turbo route will also create premature wear on many other components also, being just a rise of rate reg the Engine is not tuned correctly and a cheap but effective way of overcoming the need for more fuel. This meaning that the engine life might not be so great (a replacement engine can be had for a few hundred dollars).

A N/A set up can be good but it just doesn’t have the same rush of the turbo. I also did the Exhaust, Cam, intake etc before I went turbo, which was good but nothing really great. However the reliability of N/A items is a nice thing.
Doing Diff, Cam, Exhaust will be plenty enough for the street, If the car is manual it will only add to the benefit of being manual. If it’s not manual Change it to manual!!! Best thing you can do for an Older Falcon.

Going Turbo will defiantly cost a lot more but you can pick up some quality second hand item these days. If your mechanically capable then go for it, if your not and unsure stay with the N/A option as these Item are simple bolt on and off and are tried and tested.

As for the N/A items a in my experience the Falcon 6’s really open up with the diff gears, intake exhaust and a manual transmission. The Cam’s are good but I never thought that were that great it does increase power but if it’s a daily and you are not looking to get .3 off you ¼ mile time I wouldn’t bother. Again if you find a cheap second hand cam try it out you may feel it’s worth it.

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
inventiv

Awesome, yeah I consider playing with cars my hobby but not too mechanically minded so I may stick with the n.a. bolt-on stuff. It is a manual (AU2 XR6 VCT), and as long as I get a good shove in the back once in a while that will do me. Can I expect mid 13s from n.a. or do I need at least a cheapo turbo setup for that? But honestly I'd rather punch out of corners well with low down torque as opposed to outright acceleration..

I might stay away from a cam initially then, see if I'm happy without. .3 SECS improvement does not sound that great.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Nice car, The VCT engines are quite powerful with the variable cam timing anyway and will welcome a decent intake and exhaust system. The diff gear will certainly help with initial acceleration. A ratio of 3.7 would be best for daily duties and a bit of legal drag racing.

A mid 13 would be pushing it a bit I believe a mid/low 14 might be more what to expect. My T3 TE50 although was a bit tired 150km on the clock did a best of 13.7 with a manual and a full difillipo exhaust. The turbo set up would certainly get you there. Doing the diff gears will certainly help the punch out of the corners and feel the low down push a lot more.
There’s not a great deal of cam’s for the VCT engine as they really don't need it.

I my opinion I’d get a set of pacemaker 4480 competition style ones, mated to a decent 100cpi cat and a nice mandrel bend 2.5 inch exhaust. With the intake side of things get a mandrel 3” intake pipe and a K’N panel filter inside you stock Airbox and cut open the front passenger side of you Airbox to let more air in. Pods are no good they let too much heat soak happen when not enclosed. The diff go 3.7 ratio and get the LSD rebuilt while it’s all apart.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
inventiv

Damn, I just looked up Eltham and your'e in VIC, I was gonna come by and have a chat, shake your hand thanks for the info, good to get feedback from experienced members

Yeah have the larger xr8 snorkel and kn panel filter on the way. Once I put that on and frankenstein the intake box, Ill be purchasing the extractor and 100cell cat. Then it's down to the exhaust shop..

Then it's diff time..
Old 05-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by inventiv View Post
Damn, I just looked up Eltham and your'e in VIC, I was gonna come by and have a chat, shake your hand thanks for the info, good to get feedback from experienced members

Yeah have the larger xr8 snorkel and kn panel filter on the way. Once I put that on and frankenstein the intake box, Ill be purchasing the extractor and 100cell cat. Then it's down to the exhaust shop..

Then it's diff time..

Not a problem mate, happy to help out if you get stuck send us a PM.

You'll have to get a build thread happening once you get some parts together and take heaps of photo's.

cheers Tristan

Old 05-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
inventiv

Yeah thinking ahout a build thread, just don't want to dissapoint anyone, lol.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

build thread is a must

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post