Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #31
deon_ysus
Starter Motor

Default Re: XR5T or XR6T

I've driven both already, both look good and both go fast..
I think I'm gonna lean toward the Focus though, I'm not gonna be moving heaps of people or anything like that. Plus, Manual is always more fun then an auto, it takes all the excitement out of driving.

Anyway, I'll have a look around and see how much I can score either car for. If I can nab a cheap XR6T, then Ill get the XR6T, same for the XR5T

Cheers for your help everyone.
deon_ysus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #32
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deon_ysus View Post
Anyway, I'll have a look around and see how much I can score either car for. If I can nab a cheap XR6T, then Ill get the XR6T, same for the XR5T

Cheers for your help everyone.
Do you want a good car or a cheap car? Usually you don't get both. Best of luck with your purchase.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #33
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by strik9 View Post
you say stock for stock fg would,nt have a chance i,ll have to take your word for that, but modded for modded the focus would be toast.

i,ll put your bombed out xr5 against my bombed f6 any day any road.
this is all imo of course coming from a former owner of 10 fpv,s
anyway i,m just having a dig , its nice to see someone so passionate about a rice cracker
I would take that challange.

Track, Lakeside.
Format, 50 laps.

Too keep it safe it would just be a time trial but your time would include all the time you spend waiting for your boiled diff to cool and then you getting under the car to refill it with oil and for your ZF to drop back out of limp mode after overheating assuming of course you have not melted any other parts of you engine........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #34
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post

Track, Lakeside.
Format, 50 laps.

Too keep it safe it would just be a time trial but your time would include all the time you spend waiting for your boiled diff to cool and then you getting under the car to refill it with oil and for your ZF to drop back out of limp mode after overheating assuming of course you have not melted any other parts of you engine........
Flappist set that up and I'll take you on! I'll have a manual FG XR6 Turbo (they do sell 'em). How many sets of tyres you budgeting for and how much fuel can we use?
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #35
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
Flappist set that up and I'll take you on! I'll have a manual FG XR6 Turbo (they do sell 'em). How many sets of tyres you budgeting for and how much fuel can we use?
You will still boil your diff and besides I do not have a XR5.

I have done the odd lap or two on there and tried lots of party tricks but unless you fit a faily significant oil cooler you will be spewing oil out of the diff by about the 20th lap. Unless you fit a much larger IC you will also overheat the engine about the same time.
Road tyres will last maybe 40 laps, I used to use RE55s on very light rims and while they were FAR better at wear and grip they still only lasted 3 visits in a couple of months or 2 if the time between was longer.

In saying this I never had a problem with a V8 featuring either lion or blue oval although the ones with the blue and white quadrants were more than a challange.

I have seen a few focuses (foci) while out playing and they are like little kids, they run all day and just don't get tired.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #36
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Colleague at work just traded his XR5 for a 2009 XR6T Manual (you are correct Alan D Segal they did make them).

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #37
strik9
aka fpv747

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post

Track, Lakeside.
Format, 50 laps.

no worries you pay for the rent of the track and its on. you want me to bring the ranger to tow the xr5t when it can't stop at the end of the straight cause its brakes cooked on the second lap. i,m not sure i would have cooked the diff or the zf by then hahaaha
anyway the guy was talking smack about fg. i will always defend them,
they are a fantastic car.
and he is also more than welcome too hang **** on them but expect the same in retun

Last edited by strik9; 03-06-2013 at 03:37 PM.
strik9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #38
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
no worries you pay for the rent of the track and its on. you want me to bring the ranger to tow the xr5t when it can't stop at the end of the straight cause its brakes cooked on the second lap. i,m not sure i would have cooked the diff or the zf by then hahaaha
anyway the guy was talking smack about fg. i will always defend them,
they are a fantastic car.
and he is also more than welcome too hang **** on them but expect the same in retun
Yep. I was right......
Old 03-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #39
strik9
aka fpv747

we were i think originally talking about blasting through mountain roads and tight stuff.(i cant be bothered going back through the posts)which i truly believe a modded f6 like mine with the sway bars and suspension would smoke a xr5t with the same sort of kit. just through shear power.
one end of a mountain range to the other. ( ok had a look the reference was windy road)
i,ll have to take your word as to the track.

Last edited by strik9; 03-06-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #40
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
we were i think originally talking about blasting through mountain roads and tight stuff.(i cant be bothered going back through the posts)which i truly believe a modded f6 like mine with the sway bars and suspension would smoke a xr5t with the same sort of kit. just through shear power.
one end of a mountain range to the other. ( ok had a look the reference was windy road)
i,ll have to take your word as to the track.
Well as you would not be talk about illegal street racing due to that being a breech of T&C you must be referring to Targa style events.

You might like to look up a few results......
Old 03-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #41
strik9
aka fpv747

yeah somthing like that.
anyway the guy who started the thread wants a xr5t by the sounds. and he said in his post he was,nt interested in modding up the car.
so maybe we need to start another thread on what cars eat **** and what doesn't
and i,m not sure if we were going into a race either of the cars we are talking about would be a choice a race car driver

Last edited by strik9; 03-06-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #42
Kayos
Lag = hang onto something

I don't know how fwd shopping trolleys have been pushed into our culture but having said that, Focus RS is the only one to be considered lol or XR6t...with low klms.. drive safe and keep distance and don't be a goose on the roads!!

Some previous rides: Ef mont, RX7tt series VI, BM coupes, TE50, BA ghia, BA XR6t

Current rides: G6E blk/Cshmr, Chrysler by Chrysler no.1, Chrysler by Chrysler no.2
Kayos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #43
deon_ysus
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
Do you want a good car or a cheap car? Usually you don't get both. Best of luck with your purchase.
True, maybe best bang for buck is a better way of phrasing it then instead of cheapest car.

Quote:
anyway the guy who started the thread wants a xr5t by the sounds. and he said in his post he was,nt interested in modding up the car.
No I like the XR5T (Not the biggest fan of hatchbacks tbh, but whatever) but in the long run it sound like the Falcon will be easier to look after, fix and mod. I'll be keeping the car for quite a long time (long as I don't wreck it) so I definitely will mod it over time, I haven't owned a car with the grunt both cars possess before so I'm not going to go and mod it too hell right away and make my learning experience even harder
deon_ysus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2013, 06:05 AM   #44
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
we were i think originally talking about blasting through mountain roads and tight stuff.(i cant be bothered going back through the posts)which i truly believe a modded f6 like mine with the sway bars and suspension would smoke a xr5t with the same sort of kit..
It would comprehensively beat the Focus through a mountain road. It doesn't take much to beat a Focus around a standard track, its own competitors do it without much hassle and FG turbos beat the lot of them- but that isn't the point of either of these cars. I have a lot of positive things to say about the Focus, but ability to beat an XR6 Turbo or F6 in outright pace isn't one of them. I've been hearing XR5 owners revert to the "well we shall win through the twisties" argument for years, but it simply isn't true. They'd have a better shot at a B series or leaf sprung ute, but again, what's the point? There are so many good things about the XR5, it's a good little package, but putting it up against a RWD sedan with an excellent chassis and nuke for a motor simply isn't fair to the Focus.

A 50 lap challenge, oh Flappist, you can always be counted on to stir things up I wouldn't want to be in either car after 20 laps, they are road cars, not track cars!
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #45
strik9
aka fpv747

yeah i did,nt know when i posted there is some sort of focus cult
l

Last edited by strik9; 04-06-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #46
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos View Post
I don't know how fwd shopping trolleys have been pushed into our culture but having said that, Focus RS is the only one to be considered lol or XR6t...with low klms.. drive safe and keep distance and don't be a goose on the roads!!
Cool story.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #47
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
yeah i did,nt know when i posted there is some sort of focus cult
l
The small Ford section grows every day
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #48
EgoFalcon
The Villan

All comments are welcome i hear.

XR5 - driven one, quite punchy but after sitting in a focus RS it felt relatively slow.
XR6 Turbo - Own and the straight line speed for a stock car is ridiculous (considering I think normal XR6 is quite fast) making the F6 just absolute balls.

If it was a case of RS Vs XR6 Turbo, would be RS. This round for me goes to the XR6 Turbo. Both cars are fun, even though falcon is bigger, it still goes around corners alright.

The PX Ranger has arrived! XLT Metropolitean Grey

Previous Ride - 2007 BF MK II XR6 in Lightning Strike
EgoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #49
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've owned an XR5 Focus, XR5 Mondeo and now the FG2 XR6T. Mondeo is the pick for me.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post