Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
peterljohnson55

Question Essential spares: You live in the outback and ...

So, you live in the outback and you decide to keep a selection of spares on hand for an anticipated failure of some part/s in the near future.

- What would those parts be?
- Roughly, how much would they cost - even a guess if you like?

NOT thinking of anything that would be replaced in an annual service cycle, though, for this senario.

-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Re: Essential spares: You live in the outback and ...

That's easy, go buy a whole car as a parts car and park it up in the back yard, shed, paddock or whatever and then you have all the bases covered. If you want a specific parts list then it's a bit of a hit and miss but if it was me it might go something like this -

Serpentine belt
idler pulleys (both ribbed and smooth)
radiator
water pump
coil pack
plug leads
fuel pump & filter
front hub
P/S pump, H/P hose & rack
alternator

If any of these things die you will fail to proceed too far so they are a must.

Then you have things like hoses, spare clamps, oil, coolant, fuses, plugs, air filter etc for just in case, the list goes on.....

BTW, by the time you've added up the cost of having all these parts in your shed it would have been just as cheap to go out and buy a whole parts car like I said at the beginning.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

If i had the room i would be grabbing a few parts cars too, will be an option down the track. Diffs, abs systems, bems, cruise control components, steering wheels & door trims, rubbers, power windows components, doors & guards etc.

I think its easier to grab the parts as needed from the parts cars than keep the parts in the garage & sheds. If you add up the prices of the individual parts, it'll be cheaper to purchase a parts car just depends on how much room you've got & availability of the parts car.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends what you call outback ???
I needed a coil pack, went to lunch one night goin home 75 ks from home, still made the treck got me there ....
Now finding one the next day,that had to be bought the next day resulted in a 90 k round trip
That was the closest shop that had one , lucky last in stock.other than that it was 200 K round trip,or wait a few days
You can have all the spares you like, but itll happen that the one part that fails is either dead in the parts car,or you don't have that part ...
Im usually in the big smoke once every 2 weeks, if one car needs something and cant be posted ill wait 2 weeks,IF both cars go down same time, ill orgainse some deal with the neighbour,or again get it sent out
Ive thought of a parts car, few hundred buck special, but it would be rusted out before most of the parts would be used up
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: