Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #61
EVLKNEVL

Default Re: 2014 Falcon - why do they bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWI-1 View Post
Do you seriously think FoA will keep all 1200 workers until shutdown in 2016?
I assume they will, in the absence of evidence to the contrary. If you have such evidence, by all means enlighten me. If all you have is pessimism, go ahead and keep that to yourself.
EVLKNEVL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #62
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
i remember the austin tasman/kimberly, hydro elastic suspension like the minis and morry 1100 of the era, the austin actually wasn't too bad to drive if a little weird feeling at times, it had a curious sort of pendulum effect in the rear end like no other car i've driven if you were to get a bit excited with the steering wheel side to side, indeed they were quite spacious inside.
Pendulum ....was it a mk2?
The bean counters replaced the roller bearing rear swing axle with simple torsion rubber which would deteriorate and allow variable camber which gave hysterical OVERSTEER and V twitchy handling .... Spooky but a hoot also.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #63
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

In regards to Ford keeping the entire 1200 workers on until the end of 2016? I believe that they will.

However, over the next two years I would assume, and yes, this is only an assumption, that there would be some people that would retire. Also, I would assume, that there would be some people that take advantage of alternative employment (it would be silly for them not to).

Is Ford going to replace these workers that leave over the next two years?
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #64
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Would be a good idea for Ford though. They would only have to put up with the media beating them up for 1 year as opposed to 3. The thing that cost a company more than any other is Brand image. And a 3 year beating of the brand is something they will be cautious about.
sounds about right

the general public over the next 3 years will be swamped with online blogs, magazine articles & TV news stories about the doom of falcon & how slow its selling yada yadda yada

the fresh start for ford's image in australia wont start until the falcon is gone unfortunately.
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #65
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont View Post
sounds about right

the fresh start for ford's image in australia wont start until the falcon is gone unfortunately.
And THAT WILL leave a bitter taste.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 31-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #66
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd View Post
The large car segment will rebound due to the VF.

It could well jump to number 1.
This is laughable. The large car segment makes up a paltry 3.7% of car sales. The VF will do ok in the first few months but you can absolutely gaurantee it will sink back to low sales when the initial rush finishes and people go back to buying their SUV's, dual cab utes and small cars.

The large car market is dead and it ain't coming back.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2013, 01:47 AM   #67
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
In regards to Ford keeping the entire 1200 workers on until the end of 2016? I believe that they will.......

Is Ford going to replace these workers that leave over the next two years?
If employees leave before 2016 of their own choice, Ford doesnt have to include then in the retraining fund or pay wages/salaries and benefits from the time they leave till plant closure. Result its cheaper for Ford if people leave over the next three years.

If they put someone on, they have to train them and presumably they will be entitled to any benefits and extra support come closing time. Thats a cost I just can't see Ford taking on.

If employee numbers drop, they probably won't be missed as the place isn't working flat out anyway (this months bump aside) and will no doubt see sales decline further over the next three years as fleets give Falcon a miss. If sales do pickup, they will probably cover vacancies via overtime or just limit supply and forgo some sales. I think it would have to be extra ordinary circumstances for Ford to even think of replacing production staff at this point.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #68
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
If employee numbers drop, they probably won't be missed as the place isn't working flat out anyway (this months bump aside) and will no doubt see sales decline further over the next three years as fleets give Falcon a miss. If sales do pickup, they will probably cover vacancies via overtime or just limit supply and forgo some sales. I think it would have to be extra ordinary circumstances for Ford to even think of replacing production staff at this point.
You must have read my mind as this was going to be my next point. If Ford forgo sales there are going to be some upset people out there that miss out on the 'last Falcon ever' particularly if they want a certain configuration. Imagine the outcry!!!
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #69
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
You must have read my mind as this was going to be my next point. If Ford forgo sales there are going to be some upset people out there that miss out on the 'last Falcon ever' particularly if they want a certain configuration. Imagine the outcry!!!
A LACK of supply toward the end would be a dream come true for management .
(more like the wet variety?)

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 01-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #70
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLKNEVL View Post
I assume they will, in the absence of evidence to the contrary. If you have such evidence, by all means enlighten me. If all you have is pessimism, go ahead and keep that to yourself.
As sales have fallen, there has been a steady culling of workers, production days, and/or both to meet the reduced demand.

It would be naïve to assume this wont continue as the sales slide continues.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #71
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
Pendulum ....was it a mk2?
The bean counters replaced the roller bearing rear swing axle with simple torsion rubber which would deteriorate and allow variable camber which gave hysterical OVERSTEER and V twitchy handling .... Spooky but a hoot also.
too long ago mate, the grey matter has trouble recalling the fine detail , just the fun bits , but yes it could well have been , twitchy handling is an understatement.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #72
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
too long ago mate, the grey matter has trouble recalling the fine detail , just the fun bits , but yes it could well have been , twitchy handling is an understatement.
Yep...that's what it was....bloody beancounters.
When accountants and marketing run auto companies instead of engineers there are bad outcomes as a result.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
This user likes this post: