Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
goose1000
BA Falcon

Default I love my Falcon but I will be happy with a Taurus

Just looked at the basic Taurus on the Ford US website and while I have heard heaps of ppl rubbishing it, it looks like a pretty decent car, the Mustang looks pretty good too. I just hope Ford brings out both these cars.

goose1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: I love my Falcon but I will be happy with a Taurus

As long as they leave the FWD Taurus in the US
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Pics ?
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I have driven a Taurus and it was WAY too small for me. If the new one was larger maybe worth it but will have to wait and see?

As to the MUSTANG? YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Here ya go

Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be happy if they get the next one down to Mazda 6, Camry/Aurion weight, and local tuing at You Yangs makes it as dynamically sharp as possible. Also, if we get out own variants and to design our own front/ rear clips.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
THABOSS

Bring the Mustangs over for sure.... I hear Herrod might be onto something?

Video of the XForce Exhaust
THABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Why do people keep mentioning Taurus, the next gen is not going to be made in RHD so it won't be coming. There will be no direct replacement large sedan to replace Falcon.

Mustang might substitute performance sales, Mondeo/Fusion might substitute some Falcon sales and Edge or Explorer plus the Ranger SUV may substitute some Territory sales, but nothing will ever be a direct Falcon replacement. Ford have nothing else like it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is a spy photo of the updated Mustang. I wouldn't mind owning one of these bad boys.

TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Mondeo/Fusion might substitute some Falcon sales
I think that's exactly right, dimensionally the new Fusion/Mondeo is very similar to Falcon, why go through the effort of developing a RHD Taurus when (by 2016) it would likely move a few hundred units per month tops.

I think the Mustang will satisfy the traditional performance Falcon buyer (if practicality isn't a concern and to many it isn't), the buying public has demonstrated that they don't care for RWD sedans, so if they market the new Mondeo right (perhaps call it Fusion) then it might pick up where Falcon dropped off.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I think that's exactly right, dimensionally the new Fusion/Mondeo is very similar to Falcon, why go through the effort of developing a RHD Taurus when (by 2016) it would likely move a few hundred units per month tops.

I think the Mustang will satisfy the traditional performance Falcon buyer (if practicality isn't a concern and to many it isn't), the buying public has demonstrated that they don't care for RWD sedans, so if they market the new Mondeo right (perhaps call it Fusion) then it might pick up where Falcon dropped off.
Or just import the Fusion. The hybrid tech might interest buyers in that segment. And re-badge the diesel Mondeo as Fusion and sell it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose1000
Just looked at the basic Taurus on the Ford US website and while I have heard heaps of ppl rubbishing it, it looks like a pretty decent car, the Mustang looks pretty good too. I just hope Ford brings out both these cars.
Looks can be deceiving.
Old 24-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hired a Fusion for a week last year in LA.
It’s a bit smaller than a Falcon and was powered by the 186 kw 3 litre Flex-Fuel Duratec V6 coupled to the Ford/GM developed 6F35 six speed auto. It was a comfortable car to drive but not a car I would buy.

While the V6 was quiet in normal driving and at highway speeds, it let out a banshee scream under heavy acceleration. The joint venture six speed auto behaved similarly ... changes were generally smooth but like Chrysler’s five speed in the 300C, it tends to get confused in the stop-start situation one encounters on LA freeways (carparks).

The single standout feature of this car was the cruise control. On a run up into the hills east of LA the cruise kept the car at the exact speed up hill and down dale with not even a one km variance. (This was confirmed by my Garmin GPS). I have never experienced this type of cruise control accuracy before in any make of car.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

I'd buy a Flex. Cool looking cars. And an F truck for the work ute.
Old 24-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
I'd buy a Flex. Cool looking cars. And a Raptor for the work ute.
Fixed that for ya
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Fixed that for ya
I didn't want to seem Greedy......
Old 24-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #16
fordboi

Quote:
Go the Flex !!
Thought I was the only one who wanted one !! I guess we live in hope.
fordboi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #17
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I hired a Fusion for a week last year in LA.
It’s a bit smaller than a Falcon and was powered by the 186 kw 3 litre Flex-Fuel Duratec V6 coupled to the Ford/GM developed 6F35 six speed auto. It was a comfortable car to drive but not a car I would buy.
The car you would have driven is the superseded Fusion. The latest Fusion (Mondeo elsewhere) has ditched the V6 in favour of the Ecoboost range of four-pots.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #18
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Yep, there is no 6cyl Fusion available in the new gen cars.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I don't know how the Flex is still on sale, it sells about as much as the Territory and Falcon do, around 2000 a month in the US.

But I guess because its made in the US it will be protected and kept on sale, cause Ford North America look after themselves. If it was made elsewhere it would have been chopped ages ago.
Old 24-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #20
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
I don't know how the Flex is still on sale, it sells about as much as the Territory and Falcon do, around 2000 a month in the US.

But I guess because its made in the US it will be protected and kept on sale, cause Ford North America look after themselves. If it was made elsewhere it would have been chopped ages ago.
And this is what ***** me about this whole "One Ford" ********. Its one Ford for everyone else except the US, where they can keep niche vehicles that sell a piddling amount and we can't get an export gig for the Falcon, or they have highly desirable performance cars that they won't make available outside the US. They're hypocrites.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I've said it before, the slogan should be "One Ford", but with a disclaimer underneath it saying "only if it is for North Americas benefit".
Old 25-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #22
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FORD could produce a RHD Taurus in 3 years ??? If they wanted too...
Old 25-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #23
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I really dont see where this One Ford but America crap is coming from. The US got the European Fiesta, C-Max and Transit Connect. They dumped the American Focus for the Euro Focus and they dumped the American Fusion for the Euro Mondeo. Next they'll dump the American Taurus and stretch the Euro Mondeo and they'll also dump the E series van for Transit. ROW will even be getting the Mustang, which some are worried Ford will compromise it for it to sell outside of America.

What have they actually done in Americas favour? Not give them the Global Ranger to save F150? I personally dont buy that argument. Chicken tax means they have to be built stateside, and the F150's are pretty cheap anyway. Flex? It probably wont make it onto the new platform, until then its already developed and its costs are shared with other models.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
FORD could produce a RHD Taurus in 3 years ??? If they wanted too...
The only reason that the RHD version was not developed yet was because FoA decided to do a 2014 Falcon,
So while not included at the start of the project 18 months go, I hava a hunch that part of yesterday's decision
had to do with commitment to a plan going forwrd which may have required a lock in of internal funding and
resources to develop regional versions of global vehicles for Australia.

Australian buyer still want some large cars but they have to be keenly priced, well appointed with the latest gadgets, give great performance and excellent fuel economy. What's in flux now is the delivery and mix of features delivered by a future global platform and that the mystifying part. If Ford came out nd said it was a Fusion/Taurus or a new USA RWD then it would be an identifiable target but at the moment, maybe emotions are too raw to absorb anything new just yet...

Last edited by jpd80; 25-05-2013 at 01:02 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #25
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Quote:

And this is what ***** me about this whole "One Ford" ********. Its one Ford for everyone else except the US, where they can keep niche vehicles that sell a piddling amount and we can't get an export gig for the Falcon, or they have highly desirable performance cars that they won't make available outside the US. They're hypocrites.
Slow down there.

We are still in the early years of One Ford. In time, oddities like the Flex likely won't exist. But presently there is no point in pulling the plug on it when it's still moving close to 30,000 units per year. Take into account that the Flex is built at Oakville alongside the Ford Edge, Lincoln MKT and Lincoln MKX- the Edge alone moved over 120,000 units last year so combined with the others the plant is good for over 200,000 units per year- the Flex isn't losing them millions like Falcon/Territory- in fact it would be making a tidy profit at this stage in its life.

Don't forget Ford is an American company, you can't blame them for giving their (enormous) home market special attention. Some of the niche cars they do there are offset by the huge volume cash cows like F series. Australian Falcon production never stood a chance in the long term.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #26
AG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Slow down there.

We are still in the early years of One Ford. In time, oddities like the Flex likely won't exist. But presently there is no point in pulling the plug on it when it's still moving close to 30,000 units per year. Take into account that the Flex is built at Oakville alongside the Ford Edge, Lincoln MKT and Lincoln MKX- the Edge alone moved over 120,000 units last year so combined with the others the plant is good for over 200,000 units per year- the Flex isn't losing them millions like Falcon/Territory- in fact it would be making a tidy profit at this stage in its life.
I think most people don't realize how big the US market is for these American SUVs, it gets even bigger when you add Canada. Most of these SUVs are also sold in Mexico, some of them are sold in the Middle East, China, Philippines, South Korea and even Japan (even though they're a RHD market).

The Falcon and Territory sell in low numbers in its own home market.
They're also sold in New Zealand (I assume in even smaller numbers) and in the case of the Territory, its also exported to Thailand as Ford's premium SUV (also in low numbers).

Last edited by AG3; 25-05-2013 at 06:19 AM.
AG3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post