Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #31
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: GPS Unit - which one to get?

Rules for NSW:

Quote:
What do the new changes to the mobile phone laws mean?

From 1 November 2012 you can only use a mobile phone to make or receive a phone call, while driving if the phone:
•is secured in a cradle fixed to the vehicle, or
•can be operated by the driver without touching any part of the phone for example through the use of hands free or Bluetooth technology

You can’t hold a phone in your hand, other than to pass it to a passenger, and cannot rest the phone on your leg or between your shoulder and ear.

What can I use the phone for when driving?

You are allowed to use the navigational or GPS function and audio functions of a phone while driving if you follow the rules.

All other functions including video calls, internet, texting, games and emailing are prohibited.

It’s important to remember that learner and P1 drivers are not allowed to use any function of a phone while driving.

How should a phone be mounted?

The phone must be in a commercially designed cradle and affixed to the vehicle in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. It is not necessary to have the cradle professionally installed.

It is not permissible to affix a mobile phone to a dashboard with velcro, or by other ad hoc measures.

Can I still have Bluetooth and press buttons on my steering wheel? Does the phone still have to be mounted?

You can still use Bluetooth because the steering wheel is not part of the phone, as long as the phone is not being held against your body. In these circumstances you do not need to have the phone mounted or secured in the vehicle however it is recommended you do. If you need to touch your phone to dial numbers to make a call, the phone must be mounted.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2013, 01:57 AM   #32
renegadeous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
+1

I've had mine in the GT for a couple of years now - great unit
FREE Lifetime MAP Upgrade and TRAFFIC updates
Matches with the FPV silver interior as well.

I have mine fitted with a custom clamp I made.
The unit is is hardwired - I spliced into the power from the AUX socket from behind the centre stack and hid all the wiring. Now it just looks like it was factory optioned.
Now when the car starts - it automatically comes on - even shows up with an FPV logo i loaded into it.........

Its great having it on all the time as it warns on traffic and "safety" cameras..........

When the car switches off - it powers down automatically.

It works great in that position in the centre stack as I think its getting its signal through the sunroof - signal is always on maximum - so it works a treat.

Here's a pic :

Fantastic idea. If it is hard wired in, how do you update the maps. Is it Bluetooth to another device?
I love ebay !! I love buying a car through the post. I love the challenge of the jigsaw pieces (at $200 a part). I love it when people list a part as fitting a van, sedan or coupe. I love it even more when you pick up a part and they honestly cant remember if it came from a coupe or a sedan. I love my wife carrying a bumperbar up the hill to put in the car after I got it delivered to her work. Yeah Yeah. No better way to rebuild a car..
renegadeous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #33
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeous View Post
Fantastic idea. If it is hard wired in, how do you update the maps. Is it Bluetooth to another device?
I think you will find its just the 12 volts hard wired, like as in not using a 12volt socket, so the unit will still be removable.
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #34
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I use a big 'old' Garmin Nuvi 5000 for street duty hooked up to a reverse camera. The Garmin works a treat loaded with red light camera, school zones poi. Also have it loaded with a bunch of custom offroad maps for 90% of the Australia. Very happy with the Garmin.

I use VMS mapping software loaded on an iPad for the really serious offroad mapping.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #35
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS View Post
I think you will find its just the 12 volts hard wired, like as in not using a 12volt socket, so the unit will still be removable.
Correct

The Unit still clips in and out of its cradle.
I just meant that the aerial traffic power cable was hardwired into the 12 volt power source plug from behind the ICC. That way - there are no unsightly clamps or wires that can bee seen. The Unit just looks like its kinda floating in the tissue box space.

What I do Like about this unit - is that it just powers on and off with the ignition - not sure if other units do this ? I do not press the power button at all. It just boots up with my FPV logo - searches for GPS signal - lock on and then just shows the MAP where I'm driving.......
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #36
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The coming Fiat Panda has a removable TomTom.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #37
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
The coming Fiat Panda has a removable TomTom.
I'm not buying a car just to get a GPS navigator!!

Old 22-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #38
renegadeous

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
I'm not buying a car just to get a GPS navigator!!

I think it's the other way round. If you buy a tom tom they throw the fiat in for free. lol
I love ebay !! I love buying a car through the post. I love the challenge of the jigsaw pieces (at $200 a part). I love it when people list a part as fitting a van, sedan or coupe. I love it even more when you pick up a part and they honestly cant remember if it came from a coupe or a sedan. I love my wife carrying a bumperbar up the hill to put in the car after I got it delivered to her work. Yeah Yeah. No better way to rebuild a car..
renegadeous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #39
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd like to see it in my next car, rather than be tied to dealers for updates which are available/needed almost monthly if not weekly.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 22-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #40
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Interesting nobody recommends any GPS units by Navman.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #41
Super Roo 1970
Windsor=Screamer

I have a Tom Tom. Its getting a bit old now, but has never let me down. Back when I was buying mine I was looking between the TT and Garmin.
I went with the TT because it had the vehicle speed display in it and the Garmins didnt. Most of my cars are old (MPH speedo) GTs, so the speed display is a handy feature for me when driving in speed camera areas.
Super Roo 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #42
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the nuvi series has speed display.......I use it more than my speedo as it is far more accurate.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #43
superfly
Go the Hogster!

I bought a Garmin Nivu 2497LMT. It's the new 2013 model with free maps and traffic info. Also comes with bluetooth. I got the bluetooth version as her car hasn't got bluetooth. At least now she can use her phone hands free.

Thing I liked most about this was that you could search by street rather than suburb.

I hope the missus likes it

Thanks for all the suggestions.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #44
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want to simply go any town centre TomTom doesn't require any street names.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV