Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation 7 Seat Ranger Spied

Ford Australia's own Territory is coming under threat from inside its Broadmeadows bunker.

And here's proof that the blue oval's long-rumoured seven-seat SUV version of the Ranger ute is under development in Australia.

Drive reader Andrew Brook snapped this shot of a prototype vehicle in Melbourne today. At first glance it looks like a Territory from behind, but closer inspection reveals it is riding on the Ranger’s more rugged underpinnings. The "Left Hand Drive: Engineering Evaluation Vehicle" sticker on the back is also a dead giveaway.

“It’s definitely a front-end of the Ranger and the back end of the Territory,” Brook said.
Advertisement

Ford Australia has been responsible for the global development of the new Ranger and its underpinnings - codenamed T6 - and is believed to be taking the lead on the SUV version; tipped to carry the Everest nameplate.

Officially Ford won’t confirm the Ranger-based SUV but admitted it is working on new models based on the Ranger.

“We have always said that the Ranger would only be the first of the vehicles to come off the T6 platform,” Ford spokeswoman Sinead Phipps told Drive. “We can’t provide any specifics of other program details at this stage.”

The T6-based SUV would be a direct competitor to the Holden Colorado 7 and Mitsubishi Challenger, as well as the popular Toyota Prado.

Despite strong sales of the Territory, its fate is linked to the underperforming Falcon, because the two vehicles share the same basic underpinnings. If the Falcon doesn’t continue beyond 2016 then neither will the Territory, so Ford Australia will need to find a new large SUV to fill that important spot in its line-up.

Speaking at the recent Kuga launch, Ford Australia president Bob Graziano said the company is evaluating its options when it comes to large SUVs in the future.

“If you look at the larger SUVs there’s certainly a market for body-on-frame, traditional off-roaders, and what some people call soft-roaders, like the Territory,” Graziano said.

“We’ll just have keep reassessing because the vast majority of those vehicles are Territory-type vehicles as opposed to off-roaders.”

Asked directly about the prospects of a Ranger-based SUV, Graziano didn’t give any details away.

“It’s really going to depend on whether that segment continues at its present rate or whether its going to start declining for a number of different reasons,” he said.

“That’s what we’re looking at now, and then we can look at what’s in the portfolio from Ford that we could slot in there.”

Ford Australia may be involved in the development but the SUV-version will almost certainly be built alongside the Ranger Ute in Thailand.
http://brisbanetimes.drive.com.au/mo...509-2ja81.html

Last edited by csv8; 24-05-2013 at 01:30 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Re: 7 Seat Ranger Spied

lucky there are only 2 threads on this car and article on this forum
Giant Cranium is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11393485
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11389712
Giant Cranium is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Stolen photo from one of the forum members
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Not me !!! DRIVE....
Old 11-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Is it at all possible that the next generation Territory could be based on the Ranger platform and that both models will be built side by side at Broadies??

I think it is.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I don't believe it was stolen.....hey Andrew?...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I has to ask, if the current Thai plant can't kept up with production of just a Ranger, why is it a given they'll give Range & this. So their supply rate drops even more? Doesn’t make sense to me!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
trentski
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ranger supply seems to be OK if you want a manual, it's the auto box that's stuffing them, and us, up
trentski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #10
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
Is it at all possible that the next generation Territory could be based on the Ranger platform and that both models will be built side by side at Broadies??

I think it is.
I don't believe T6 Everest has any bearing on Territory's future, short of some of current Territory's buying demographic being swayed into a more dedicated SUV.

If Ford drop the Territory they'll look for a local version of either next gen Edge or Explorer. T6 based Territory serves no purpose with Territory sold to a demographic that barely drives them offroad and has no need for the rugged T6 characteristics, and the Everest will already serve the purpose of a 7 seat wagon on that platform.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

AFF... [I] your first sorce for news [/l]

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #12
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Not me !!! DRIVE....
I think that's what he meant...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2013, 02:12 AM   #13
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that car is perfect. Just when the trend in the US went the wrong direction (to unibody), Australia goes from unibody to body-on-frame with the perfect size SUV. If that had an optional 3.5 V6 EcoBoost with 3.5T towing, 270kw/570Nm (or more), rear LSD, and part-time 4wd, it would be perfect!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #14
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
I don't believe it was stolen.....hey Andrew?...
: