Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
bluestripes
Q - CAR

Default Manifold to bonnet clearance 5.0lt series 2

Hi guys

Just roughly - can anyone tell me the clearance between the top of the manifold and the underside of the bonnet on a series 2 or 3 AU sedan???

Reason - I have a trickflow r series manifold and I'm wondering if it will fit under a series 2 bonnet or I have to buy a FB hump.

Thanks

347 Windsor Stroked; (10:2.1) / TFS 190 heads / TFS R Series 90 manifold / Accufab 85mm Race TB / 90mm Lightening MAF / K&N 90mm pod CAI / FTI custom cam (230-236 @ 50) / Bosch 36lb inject / MSD coil + leads / ASR 8lt sump / Mcleod RST Twin Plate Clutch / Pacemakers PH4006 + 3" single exhaust / BA Premium brake pac / Pedders Xtreme coil over shocks / 30mm Whiteline sway / 3.45 LSD / Custom FG bonnet / Ghia interior upgrade / Enkie Rims - staggered / Quarter Horse tuned.
bluestripes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default Re: Manifold to bonnet clearance 5.0lt series 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestripes View Post
Hi guys

Just roughly - can anyone tell me the clearance between the top of the manifold and the underside of the bonnet on a series 2 or 3 AU sedan???

Reason - I have a trickflow r series manifold and I'm wondering if it will fit under a series 2 bonnet or I have to buy a FB hump.

Thanks
It'll fit, even with a spacer.

Had a Trickflow on mine and didn't have any clearance issues, there's a fair bit of room there.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
bluestripes
Q - CAR

Great stuff - you made my day

347 Windsor Stroked; (10:2.1) / TFS 190 heads / TFS R Series 90 manifold / Accufab 85mm Race TB / 90mm Lightening MAF / K&N 90mm pod CAI / FTI custom cam (230-236 @ 50) / Bosch 36lb inject / MSD coil + leads / ASR 8lt sump / Mcleod RST Twin Plate Clutch / Pacemakers PH4006 + 3" single exhaust / BA Premium brake pac / Pedders Xtreme coil over shocks / 30mm Whiteline sway / 3.45 LSD / Custom FG bonnet / Ghia interior upgrade / Enkie Rims - staggered / Quarter Horse tuned.
Old 28-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

The only thing that may rub a little is the underbonnet matting, didn't worry me though as I never used it.
Old 28-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
bluestripes
Q - CAR

I will put 20 cm spacers under bonnet hinges. It's a bit of an edgy street look that I like ... which will suit the roar of the engine

Old 28-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
I will put 20 cm spacers under bonnet hinges. It's a bit of an edgy street look that I like ... which will suit the roar of the engine
That'd also help with underbonnet temps, something I know is a problem on a 347 in an AU.
This user likes this post:
Old 28-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
bluestripes
Q - CAR

Yeap - that was the cause of this whole new engine build way back when.

Over heating

Now I ve upgrade to an aftermarket flowkooler water pump ... But like everything brought from the state.., the bloody factory pulley does not fit ... So once again I find myself waiting for the mail man

Old 31-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

20cm spacers?? Whoa what angle is that bonnet on now? Type R intake is a little higher than the street heat intake RG had but will still fit OK.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Going for that burnout car look with the hot air evacuation out the rear of the bonnet
Seriously though,use some plasticine on the manifold and close the bonnet to gauge clearance,would be around .75 inch or thereabouts.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
ebgtjames
Need More Cubes!

Quote:
Yeap - that was the cause of this whole new engine build way back when.

Over heating

Now I ve upgrade to an aftermarket flowkooler water pump ... But like everything brought from the state.., the bloody factory pulley does not fit ... So once again I find myself waiting for the mail man
Get a build thread going, would love to see some pics of this going together!

STREETBUILT Racing

1993 DC LTD
EB GT Drive Line!
ebgtjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #11
bluestripes
Q - CAR

I wanted to do a build thread. Ive got heaps of pictures but the car is nothing fancy... just wanting some big balls under the bonnet

Only problem with a build thread is my site will only let me load about 6 images at a time. Is that normal...? Pretty hard to do a build thread with only 6 images.

Below is pic of the bonnet spacer with the Series 1 bonnet. New build will have spacers and series 2 sedan bonnet.

Another pic of the engine as it is today. Most stuff is not torqued down. Still need to custom stuff. EGR spacer needed customising. Im considering plumbing the coolant through the BBK EGR spacer which means I just need to customise the coil pac bracket and the TFS R Series manifold only has a lower PCV valve where the AU manifold has an upper and lower so Iam also going to plumb that also. May not need it. But - WTF

Last edited by bluestripes; 28-06-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 31-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
bluestripes
Q - CAR

Regarding the extractors. Im not sure if my pipes are Hurricanes or Pacemakers ... but they have 1- 5/8 primary which is an inner width of 26mm. When you consider the inner width of the TFS 190 heads exhaust ports is 32mm. ... it just makes think - wow 8 mm seems a lot.

Anyways - I have built this engine for street and if ED Curtis has got the camshaft right it should have big low end torque. ... so the Tri Y interference pipes will work fine.

Im also aware its torque that gives you speed not RMP... and these block have a high probability of splitting at high rpm... so under standing the block help you to under stand how to drive it.

Old 31-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #13
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Quote:
Only problem with a build thread is my site will only let me load about 6 images at a time. Is that normal...?
Yep, that's normal. Saves them on hosting fees and helps keep the site free and fast. Photobucket is a popular way to go - you open a free account, upload your pics the there and use the little button with a pic of mountains on it to paste in the image link that photobucket gives you...
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post