Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Focus Sport - Couple of Questions ?

Looked at a new Thai built Focus Sport Manual yesterday ... nice car, was quite impressed.

Just have a couple of questions if I may,

1: What's the air-con performance like on the new Thai built models ? .. is it any good ? .. I had a Fiesta XR4 previously and the air-con performance was hopeless, I am led to believe the German built Focus LW models were much the same as the XR4 ? .. just wondering if this air-con performance issue was fixed in the Thai built Focus ?

2: How does the manual 5 speed Thai Focus handle the highway, what's the revs at 100km/h in 5th gear ?

3: Should I buy one ? .. are they any good long term ? .. any issues I should know about ?

Thanks, and any info much appreciated ... Rob.

robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 
Default Re: Focus Sport - Couple of Questions ?

The aircon isn't an "issue" as such in the international fords. Once you see that the heater is hot enough to cook an egg you'll realise whats going on with the A/C ;)
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh
The aircon isn't an "issue" as such in the international fords. Once you see that the heater is hot enough to cook an egg you'll realise whats going on with the A/C ;)
Thanks for the reply, excuse my ignorance but unfortunately I don't follow what you're saying ?

Are you saying the air-con is good ? .. or bad ?
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suspect the Focus was designed for European weather where they think 25 degrees is a heat wave. Air con is terrible although there are a few who seem satisfied with being hot in the car
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
Foconatic

Bought my LW in Feb. this year. German build. No issues with the A/c, then
again we had a pretty mild last summer. Lets see what the one round the corner holds.

Going somewhere isn't why you drive, driving is why you go
Foconatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

I know my Safrican built Focus A/C is tip top and one would hope the current model Focus A/C is tested under Thai conditions.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Don't forget the a/c is being changed (again) and is apparently going to be an even less effective refrigerant.
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
Fitzy

I have just clocked up 3000klms on my Focus Diesel Sport, Thai built. I live in Brisbane and so far am extremely happy with the choice. The Air-con has not concerned me at all and seems to work well, as does everything else so far. My only gripe is the Maps are pretty old and there is no update available yet.
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just get the windows tinted. My wifes 06 and my 08 Focus are okay air con wise because of the tint.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
Alpha_omega
Starter Motor

I purchased the focus sport last week, which is a december 2012 thailand build.
It was one of the hottest days for sydney, when I drove the car back home , outside temp was at 38 degrees.

Aircon worked really well and was pumping out good cold air.
Alpha_omega is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
yuruga

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80 View Post
Looked at a new Thai built Focus Sport Manual yesterday ... nice car, was quite impressed.

Just have a couple of questions if I may,

1: What's the air-con performance like on the new Thai built models ? .. is it any good ? .. I had a Fiesta XR4 previously and the air-con performance was hopeless, I am led to believe the German built Focus LW models were much the same as the XR4 ? .. just wondering if this air-con performance issue was fixed in the Thai built Focus ?

2: How does the manual 5 speed Thai Focus handle the highway, what's the revs at 100km/h in 5th gear ?

3: Should I buy one ? .. are they any good long term ? .. any issues I should know about ?

Thanks, and any info much appreciated ... Rob.
I have a Sport Manual LWMKII (Thai Build)

1. Aircond Works very well - especially through the hot days we are having in VIC - I think the climate controlled AirCond Thai Fociis works very well.

2. I do 60% in hilly 100KMH roads on the way to work - 5th pulls up hills very well, dont even notice them. Cant remember the revs ..... about the 2.5k mark! I avg for petrol 6.7-6.9 L/100.

3. Drive one really - my choice in the end was i30 elite or Focus Sport. Focus simply handled way better - trim and bling were similar. As already mentioned Maps for the SatNav are old and needs updating. I have 12K on mine now and it will be the first car ( Had BA + FG) that will go to first service with no issues in between services)

Last edited by yuruga; 21-01-2013 at 07:57 PM.
yuruga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Syameese
Starter Motor

2012 German build Sport owned since May 2012. I was a bit concerned coming into summer having heard all the complaints about the air con, but after having been out in days of 42 & 45 degrees lately I no longer have any concerns. The air con is fine, and I am someone who likes to be cold - which is one of the reasons why we went for the Sport with the two zone climate control air con.

PS - 7,500 ks on the car and we love it
Syameese is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 02:01 AM   #13
darylh67
xb fairmont jg34

picked up new focus trend today dec 2012 build-- has a shudder when taking off from standing start? is this normal its a 2.0 l petrol auto
darylh67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Yes its normal. The gearbox isnt a traditional auto, more an automated manual. You will always feel the box engaging the clutch. It gets better with age.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
darylh67
xb fairmont jg34

Thanks--I hope you are right-- will give a bit longer and see if it gets better--its only done 150km at this stage.
darylh67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #16
old_mate
Smash the Boost

from reading they get better after 10,000ks.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #17
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

Location: In the garage - waiting for the car to build itself!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylh67 View Post
picked up new focus trend today dec 2012 build-- has a shudder when taking off from standing start? is this normal its a 2.0 l petrol auto
I picked up my Sport auto on Wed and I agree, the g'box is atrocious. As mentioned, I was told by the dealer to get to 3,000km and it should sort itself out.

I've been caught out twice crossing an intersection in the wrong gear, changing up and down mid corner several times, almost stalled twice going up the same steep-ish hill, had a bloody awful crunch in the gears when I stood on the throttle to avoid a truck slamming into the back of me and lastly, the car rolls backward on a hill on take-off... Hmmm, this 3,000km better come quickly!

Otherwise the rest of the car is very good.
AllCoupedUp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #18
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCoupedUp View Post
I picked up my Sport auto on Wed and I agree, the g'box is atrocious. As mentioned, I was told by the dealer to get to 3,000km and it should sort itself out.

I've been caught out twice crossing an intersection in the wrong gear, changing up and down mid corner several times, almost stalled twice going up the same steep-ish hill, had a bloody awful crunch in the gears when I stood on the throttle to avoid a truck slamming into the back of me and lastly, the car rolls backward on a hill on take-off... Hmmm, this 3,000km better come quickly!

Otherwise the rest of the car is very good.
Its because they are a Dual Clutch Automated Manual rather than a traditional automatic. Car should have hill start assist, if you put the brakes on, then release, brakes should continue to hold the car in place for a couple of seconds.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post