Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default V8 Clutch Cable issues??

Hi all,

I have finally got my wagon to the point of driving it and I have some concerns about my clutch cable. It seems that the cable is too long??

Are 6cly and V8 pedal boxes the same? Are there different length V8 clutch Cables?? I can't figure out why this is like this...

It does drive and work although the pickup point feels like it is almost flat on the firewall.

Here is a pick of the slack in the cable.

This is how the clutch fork sits when the thrust bearing is just touching the fingers. Is this normal? Or should it be further towards the left (rear of the car)??

And a pick of how I assembled the thrust bearing.

Although it is currently working, I feel there certainly should not be this slack in the setup. I hope it is obvious and not in the clutch assembly as I really don't want to have to pull out the gearbox again.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: V8 Clutch Cable issues??

It all looks about right compared to mine . not sure if they list a shorter cable but would be a easy fix or perhaps just put a floating sleeve in at the fire wall end . just a bit of tube with a washer tacked on the end would do it
I will be back under mine shortly and will measure the cable length if that helps

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha View Post
It all looks about right compared to mine . not sure if they list a shorter cable but would be a easy fix or perhaps just put a floating sleeve in at the fire wall end . just a bit of tube with a washer tacked on the end would do it
I will be back under mine shortly and will measure the cable length if that helps

Yeah I can figure out a way around it to 'fix' it but would love to be able to understand why it is like this in the first place. If you could measure it that would be awesome!

Thanks,
Rhys

Toy Car Build
Old 05-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
MrEL
Sick Puppy

V8 and 6 cylinder cables are different.
The V8 one is shorter because it goes into the drivers side of the bellhousing and the 6 goes into the passengers side.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
V8 and 6 cylinder cables are different.
The V8 one is shorter because it goes into the drivers side of the bellhousing and the 6 goes into the passengers side.
Yep that they are. I actually have 2 V8 ones and they are identical but not too sure if there are different V8 ones. I would suspect not but who knows.

Also, the V8 one is red and the 6cly is black.

Toy Car Build
Old 06-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #6
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Uh, do you have the clutch pedal spring installed?
Old 06-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Uh, do you have the clutch pedal spring installed?
No that is a good point. I remember the car the V8 Manual gear came out of one didn't have one. I have heard about them but don't know what it looks like or how it should be fitted.

If anyone could provide a photo of one installed that would be excellent

Thanks,
Rhys

Toy Car Build
Old 06-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Mine never had a spring from new They put one in when I queried it and it broke 6 months later but the pedal has always been about the same height as the brake even with out it , As for the length . overall it shouldn't mater only the amount of inner cable that is exposed will set the throw from top of pedal to start of thread at top end mine has app.6 to 8 cm exposed with another 12 to 15 cm at the box end if you get my meaning , failing that call passed next weekend and we can suss it out , also my outer cable case is orange

Quote:
Old 06-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

some other shots from another thread the last one you can see my spiring hanging there it hooks almost straight up to the peg above but you get the idea

Quote: