Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 01-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Mpr_65
Starter Motor

Default Mondeo Digital Speedo

I own a 2011 Mondeo Ecoboost Titanium. A feature that is sadly lacking in this model is a digital speedo. There seems to be ample room on the centre display for a speed reading as it is now just taken up with a overly large icon that displays what input/radio station is playing.

I've noted when using the adaptive cruise function the speed set is displayed digitally at the top of the screen so I assume there's some connection (talk) between the speedo and the digital display. If this is so I'm wondering whether Ford would consider a firmware update that might include a digital speedo. Maybe is more complicated that that.

While on the subject of gripes, why on earth Ford removed the muti CD frunction from the sound system in these "prestige" vehicles amazes me.

Love the car and the way it drives however these little things could have made it better.

Mpr_65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Default Re: Mondeo Digital Speedo

Display - keep wishing....
IIRC the 1990 LTDs had a digital dash. Very annoying as too much flicker iin front of the eyes.

Multi CD now gone (MC onwards) - When I bought my MB XR5 with 6-stack in-dash I did use the stacker for the first few months,then I moved onto my own 8Gb Sony Walkman (aux-in socket) , then I found the USB port in the glovebox with a 4GB stick was easier (so I could have my Walkman back for the office!!), then I used my daughters old iPod Nano Gen3 . These days I only take the iPod out to add more music. It switches on and off with the stereo system, and is navigable thru the usual iPod-style inrface on the HMI.

When did you last try to buy a CD? K-Mart has none, JB Hi-Fi still stocks (but reducing on hand stock). Everyone it seems is supposed to download these days.
Remember when 8-track cartidge came out? The way of the future is now long gone, as are audio cassettes.

By comparison, I have a single-CD player (+ aux-in) in another car. Running around town with only 1 CD playing got boring after a very short time. Needed to have my walkman plugged in....as you can do in your Titanium.

The little white Sandisk 8GB USB sticks fit very well - $8. Some others are too large.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I asked ages ago about "Hacking" the screen to show more useful stuff, digital speedo being one of them. Got no responses, haven't looked into it further so wouldn't know.

As for the multi CD function, go buy yourself a 160gb iPod. The iPod integration in these cars is incredible, and you'll fit yourself much, much more music than you could ever fit on six CD's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
Remember when 8-track cartidge came out? The way of the future is now long gone, as are audio cassettes.
I wanted to buy an 8-track player I found for a home stereo system, just recently. The price put me off. Become so collectable, as have good quality tape deck (ie the three head ones). Bit like all my turntable stuff, going up in price for decent quality vintage stuff. Will never be in cars again, but for home setups, I still love listening to some of my old tapes of stuff I'll never get on CD!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Mpr_65
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
Display - keep wishing....
IIRC the 1990 LTDs had a digital dash. Very annoying as too much flicker iin front of the eyes.

Hopefully we've come a ways with dispays these days.

The little white Sandisk 8GB USB sticks fit very well - $8. Some others are too large.
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into getting one

Cheers
Old 02-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
Mpr_65
Starter Motor

[quote=Riksta]I asked ages ago about "Hacking" the screen to show more useful stuff, digital speedo being one of them. Got no responses, haven't looked into it further so wouldn't know.

As for the multi CD function, go buy yourself a 160gb iPod. The iPod integration in these cars is incredible, and you'll fit yourself much, much more music than you could ever fit on six CD's.

Thanks for the advice, while appreciate the conveniance of Ipods/mp3 players I find the sound quality of a well recorded cd much better.

Will look into what sound formats the system will support and maybe transfer some of my favorites to a USB stick (as mentioned above by allanv6gt) hopefully in FLAC.

Looks like the speedo issue is a lost cause, guess I can't see Ford paying an IT guru to re do the firmware.

Cheers
Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

But with sound quality, if you rip to 320kbps mp3 and whack it on an iPod, you're not going to notice a heap of difference in a car with traffic noise & road noise and all other manner of things (like speakers that aren't worth massive money). I could understand your point if you were talking about a huge dollar home stereo setup, but in a car, MP3 is just fine for me personally. At home, I listen to vinyl.

I very much doubt the system would support FLAC/OGG or anything not quite as mainstream as MP3/WMA/WAV/MP4 etc, but you can try
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a new Focus today as a loan car whilst mine was getting its service. Although it did not have a digital speedo, it did have a speed readout for the Cruis Control. It displays the increments that you set, then crosses it out when cruise is cancelled. I thought this was a great idea and would have been even better in our Mondeo's!!!