Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-11-2005, 02:34 PM   #1
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

Default HAS anyone

http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/...ghts-x6024.htm

this is an american site, and i've done a few installs of some of there stuff on a jeep....and i was thinking the XR would look pretty sweet with a high low setup is 4 HID instead of the standard halogen.....dut i've never taken teh front end of a AU XR apart so don't know if there is room.
What do you reckon?

Last edited by Casper; 03-12-2005 at 10:43 PM. Reason: fixed url link
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit
[url]http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/Headlights-x6024.htm[url/]

this is an american site, and i've done a few installs of some of there stuff on a jeep....and i was thinking the XR would look pretty sweet with a high low setup is 4 HID instead of the standard halogen.....dut i've never taken teh front end of a AU XR apart so don't know if there is room.
What do you reckon?
Not to sure about the falcon but i just found meself some new lights for the wrangler :
AnthonyQLD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2005, 08:45 PM   #3
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

does anyone have the sizes of the XR lights? and how much space there is around them?
Old 30-11-2005, 11:04 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I have had my high/low kit on my AU XLS ute for over 6 months now.

HID diesn't work the best in the AU headlights ... it sends the beam all over the place and take a lot of fiddling to get rid of most of the glare it creates. I am currently saving for a proper HID Projector kit from www.xenondepot.com in the US to put in my current headlights.

A lot of custom work is needed to put the kit in that I want ... but the desired effect with be having the same beam pattern as the Honda S2000s/BMWs/Mercs/Audis that have projectors (the HID models ... not the halogen projector models) .... there's a big difference.

I have had to set my beam low though to reduce glare for other drivers ... it's still bright though ... I can see my beam during rainy nights and during dusk where you normally can't see halogen headlights.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2005, 11:05 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Oh ... the difference between the AU halogen (which is normally fairly bright) and the HID kit I have inserted is massive .... makes the standard halogens look like candles.
Old 30-11-2005, 11:07 PM   #6
LUXO_8
windsor user

yeah im going to be HID-ing next year...
only im doing it the proper way and retro-fitting the actual projectors designed for HID (from a BMW) into my custom BMW 3 series / NC Fairlane headlights

it costs about 400-500 for the full OEM setup (used obviously)

and to answer the Q, HID is absolutley no comparison to regular halogen globes, it is most definatley the future for headlights....

im imagining it will at least be an option on the next series of aus cars
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2005, 11:14 PM   #7
professorsabre
NECO

I changed my h7's (dipped beam) to 6000k hid's and it made a hugh difference.

Can't say how they will look in an XR as my Cougar has projector lights.

They're in Australia and reasonably priced.

You could give them a try.

http://www.auraxt.com.au/index.html

Cheers
professorsabre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2005, 11:16 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Old 30-11-2005, 11:20 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
yeah im going to be HID-ing next year...
only im doing it the proper way and retro-fitting the actual projectors designed for HID (from a BMW) into my custom BMW 3 series / NC Fairlane headlights

it costs about 400-500 for the full OEM setup (used obviously)

and to answer the Q, HID is absolutley no comparison to regular halogen globes, it is most definatley the future for headlights....

im imagining it will at least be an option on the next series of aus cars
That's the way to go ... fitting HIDs in the halogen projector light still isn't the same as putting the HID globe behind a HID projector lense.

My kit from the US is from the BMW as well ... and is the Bi-xenon kit ... where the shield inside the projector moves out of the way when flicked onto high beam.

My current Bi-xenon aftermarket kit is not too bad ... but it could be a lot better.

If you want excellent details ... and are up for a read ... check out this post on www.fordmods.com

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11697
Old 30-11-2005, 11:21 PM   #10
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyQLD
Not to sure about the falcon but i just found meself some new lights for the wrangler :
just be very careful buying HID stuff from america as it is set-up for LHD cars

make sure to specify that they can set them up for RHD cars
Old 30-11-2005, 11:25 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

also if you can get the projectors from the US .... sometimes the shield is reversible inside the projector .... allowing to switch to RHD from LHD. Depends on the projector though.

If you get the flat-top projectors (Honda style) ... that's not a problem then ... they can be used on either LHD or RHD
Old 01-12-2005, 12:00 AM   #12
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

bwahahaha you guys have nothing....take a look. i am specifically intrested in fitting Xe5.75 or 7 depending on what the size of the XR lights are, and was wondering how much room there is behind the bar. and weahter you guys will think it will look any good? they will be mounted directly behing custom lexan plastic protection lenses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1111.JPG (36.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg PICT00271.JPG (25.0 KB, 79 views)
Old 01-12-2005, 12:04 AM   #13
LUXO_8
windsor user

got whatever object that shall be in front shall be burned to a crisp....

i wonder what the glare is like though.....
the main point of HID is to improve low beam without blinding oncoming traffic.....whats the point of showing us a pic of how bright your high beam / driving lights are
Old 01-12-2005, 12:20 AM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

If you want bright driving lights .... get the LightForce 240 HIDs. [9 inch in diameter]
brightest "street legal" driving light on the market ... good for a few kilometres of daylight brightness (in the middle of the night)

Hence why the interstate truckies use them.

I haven't got the HID version ... I just have the 100w xenophot globe version ... they are good enough for about 1.5km only though ... still bright.

I want the HID light for pure clarity for low beam use really ... I use driving lights to assist with highbeam as it is ... I enjoy blinding small animals at 500m
Old 01-12-2005, 12:51 PM   #15
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

i showed you that pic as it's the set up i run atm.
I run just about exclusively on highbeam as i drive a night run. and it was just a demonstration of HID over halogen highbeam.
Also i'mnot only intrested in teh low beam but high beam HID also, so the pic is relevant. HID lowbeam is relatively insignificant for me, but none the less necessary for what i'd like to do.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:09 PM   #16
LUXO_8
windsor user

sorry if i came across as grr.....wasnt meant..

looks great....certainly very bright and clear
Old 01-12-2005, 06:31 PM   #17
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

That's cool mate, it wasn't taken in that way, your comment made me realise that i didn't say enough in the first post.

Can anyone tell me the diameter of the XR head lights though? As that is what i'm really intrested in, and i can't find it anywhere, so if anyone can pointme in teh right direction that would be fine also.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:35 PM   #18
LUXO_8
windsor user

main beam (H4 globe) or driving light beam (H1)???

the driving light beam would be about 10cm across(ive got one in front of me), with the main beam probably about 15cm or so...
Old 01-12-2005, 06:37 PM   #19
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

thanks mate do you know where i could find exact specs of the lense size used for both?
Old 01-12-2005, 06:42 PM   #20
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

cause the only size projector housing i've go tot work with is 5.75inches and 7inches so so 10cm is 3.9in and 15 is 5.9
so i suppose if there is room i can slot the 5.75 in at the least, for the low's hmmm.... do you know how much room there is behing the light?
Old 01-12-2005, 06:42 PM   #21
LUXO_8
windsor user

if you can wait i will measure tomorrow...
(im a headlight reconditioner)
Old 03-12-2005, 12:40 PM   #22
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

There are Bi-Xenon HID projector kits from the US ... they will definitely fit in the AU headlights ... XR or base model ... just comes down to how handy you are.

The only problem you might have is the battery ... it sits kinda close as it is on the driver's side.

I have found the warm up time on the HIDs to be about 2-3 seconds ... for the high/low kit though ... it will switch up to hi immediately (no warm up) ... but if you change your high beam inserts to dedicated high HID ... when flicking to high beam it will take a few seconds to warm up ... also they usually have a 2-second delay to turn off as well .... so when you drop you beam ... it will stay off a few seconds before clicking off.

I have this with my H4 high/lows ... kinds hard to explain ... when turning lghts off altogether .. it takes a few seconds on the H4s ... switching to and from high/low is instantaneous though.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:09 PM   #23
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

thanks MADNC
it'd be great to get the right measurements.