Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-06-2012, 02:56 AM   #1
briskey_b
Starter Motor

Default American vs Euro Focus

Hey guys,

I'm new, but I've read through many threads about modding Focii both her and on focus fanatics, but I'm still confused about the Euro vs US thing.

I've read in a few places that the US Focii are different from the Euro models. Other than having an option (in the MkII at least) of a 2.0 or 2.3L as opposed to 2.0L and being left hand drive, what are the differences? Would after market parts designed to fit a 2.0 Duratec in the US fit an Australian 2.0 under the bonnet?

Clarification would be great.

briskey_b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
ConradP

Default Re: American vs Euro Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by briskey_b
Hey guys,

I'm new, but I've read through many threads about modding Focii both her and on focus fanatics, but I'm still confused about the Euro vs US thing.

I've read in a few places that the US Focii are different from the Euro models. Other than having an option (in the MkII at least) of a 2.0 or 2.3L as opposed to 2.0L and being left hand drive, what are the differences? Would after market parts designed to fit a 2.0 Duratec in the US fit an Australian 2.0 under the bonnet?

Clarification would be great.
The US focus and eu focus, until now with the LW/Mk3 were completely different cars with no co-ordination in designing them so if you have a mk2 the engines are different and so is the rest of the car, so nothing will work with it.
Old 18-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

In regards to the the 'European' MK2 Focus (LS/LT/LV), it has the same 2.0L Duratec I4 engine as per the US Focus (NON-new shape). Here are some differences though:
  • The US throttle body mods do not fit because they have a cable actuated throttle body, and we have a drive by wire throttle.
  • Their cold air intakes do not suit as the US Focii have a MAF sensor, whereas we do not.
  • Aftermarket intake manifolds, such as the cosworth one, do suit both US + European Focii.
  • All camshafts are compatible.

As for exhausts, I'm not sure. I assume that US headers would fit, but certainly not the cat-back exhausts.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
briskey_b
Starter Motor

Would it be possible to get a hold of an MAF sensor for the engine or is it not possible/worth the trouble. Looking at the mods available in the US market makes me so jealous, especially the forced induction *drools*
Old 19-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

It's probably not worth the trouble, since our cars run off a MAP sensor. You'd need to run an aftermarket ECU / piggyback ECU to run a MAF sensor.

Some of the forced induction mod hardware from the US could work - the turbo manifold, turbo etc would probably fit. But everything else including boost piping, intercooler etc. wouldn't and would need to be custom fit due to different body shapes between the US and Euro Focus.
Old 19-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #6
briskey_b
Starter Motor

Ah ok.

I figured as much. It's physically fitting the gear in that concerns me too. I'd be far too scared to spend 5k only to have it not fit. Has anyone on these forums put forced induction onto a mkII 2L?
Old 22-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not that I know of