Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Default Vic. Police using public as roadblocks

There's a story on ABC news, that apparently Victorian Police used innocent public motorists as a roadblock to stop a maniac driver in a stolen car during a high speed chase, & they can't see any problem with it? WTF
Why didn't hey use Police cars as the roadblock.
What's the world coming to?

No wonder I hate crossing that Southern border, it's not just all the speed cameras & other ridiculous rules, my innocent life could be in jeopardy just from being in the state & out on the roads.

Seriously!!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-1...6?WT.svl=news1

Old 15-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
jrfttf
Getting By!?

Default Re: Vic. Police using public as roadblocks

i wonder what the headlines would have been if the driver plowed into a whole heap of motorists! I wonder if police resources are really that bad that they had to do this!!!!
Old 15-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ok before bagging the cops out what would you do?

Without knowing all the details they obviously had little time, now if police told me to stop my car and wait until a mental driver goes past I would not be happy, but depending on how much time I had I would get out of the car and move a good 50-100m back off the road and wait for the car to go past.

If police didnt try to stop him people would complain, and maybe someone would have died further along...they should have cleared a section of the freeway and get some of the spikes US style, dont know why we dont have them here...
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 15-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania
No wonder I hate crossing that Southern border, it's not just all the speed cameras & other ridiculous rules, my innocent life could be in jeopardy just from being in the state & out on the roads.
yeh, it's practically Helmand Province here.

anyway back to reality, as far as i'm aware an officer of the law has the power to commandeer your car so it's either you do it or they do.

sucks yes, and seems very odd if true, but life isn't all roses and lollypops
Old 15-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Ok before bagging the cops out what would you do?

Without knowing all the details they obviously had little time, now if police told me to stop my car and wait until a mental driver goes past I would not be happy, but depending on how much time I had I would get out of the car and move a good 50-100m back off the road and wait for the car to go past.

If police didnt try to stop him people would complain, and maybe someone would have died further along...they should have cleared a section of the freeway and get some of the spikes US style, dont know why we dont have them here...
Did you read the news report?
They made the cars stop in the emergency lane, then blocked the road so the only way past them was IN the emergency lane, he squeezed between the police & the public cars & hit all of them.

"He's tried to squeeze in between the gap between me and lane one and he's hit me, hit the car next to me, come back, hit the car in front of me and went into the back of the car in of that before coming to a stop."

Mr Rendina says police put him and his family in danger, although they were not injured. His car is damaged and he says his eight-year-old daughter is having nightmares.

Again why didn't they use Police cars in the emergency lane?
They were also obviously far enough ahead of the stolen car to stop traffic & setup a roadblock, why the hell didn't they get the people out of the cars, if they had to use the public's cars as part of that roadblock?
Going on that report this wasn't a think quick situation, it was a calculated one.

NSW Police have & use those US style road spikes, don't know why Victoria wouldn't.
Old 15-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
yeh, it's practically Helmand Province here.

anyway back to reality, as far as i'm aware an officer of the law has the power to commandeer your car so it's either you do it or they do.

sucks yes, and seems very odd if true, but life isn't all roses and lollypops
One would like to believe that the state would reimburse you for the experience and financial loss of your car if it was totaled...so unless you were cruising in your P3 who cares, most cars are replaceable.

Agreed, it would be nicer if NSW residence actually stayed put, we have enough pest problems as it is
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 15-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Why didn't they use one of their drone helicoptors??
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-1...54?section=vic
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 15-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania
Did you read the news report?
They made the cars stop in the emergency lane, then blocked the road so the only way past them was IN the emergency lane, he squeezed between the police & the public cars & hit all of them.

"He's tried to squeeze in between the gap between me and lane one and he's hit me, hit the car next to me, come back, hit the car in front of me and went into the back of the car in of that before coming to a stop."

Mr Rendina says police put him and his family in danger, although they were not injured. His car is damaged and he says his eight-year-old daughter is having nightmares.

Again why didn't they use Police cars in the emergency lane?
They were also obviously far enough ahead of the stolen car to stop traffic & setup a roadblock, why the hell didn't they get the people out of the cars, if they had to use the public's cars as part of that roadblock?
Going on that report this wasn't a think quick situation, it was a calculated one.

NSW Police have & use those US style road spikes, don't know why Victoria wouldn't.
Probably because they were lacking 20 odd police cars at the time.

A car is a car, the stickers and lights wont be making much difference in this situation.

The only thing I see wrong with what happen is that people were left in there cars, allegedly.

Charliewool, I couldnt see a drone being deployed and keeping up at 200ks. They would have to leave them on standby along the highways or something.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 15-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
bobwm

I'm surprised that all the 'safety' cameras on the Hume Freeway didn't stop him - given their invaluable contribution to public safety and reducing speeding.

http://www.camerassavelives.vic.gov....oint-to-point/

I'm surprised the police even bothered with a pursuit with that comprehensive safety net already in place.
Old 15-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
jrfttf
Getting By!?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^gold^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 15-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be parking it and getting the hell out of it and far away. If my car gets wrecked send the bill to the police - simple.

I'm sure my car would have been much more useful helping them chase the moron though :
Old 15-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #12
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If a high speed chase at 200kph was allowed to continue and then ended in an accident... there would be screams of blue murder! and suddenly all pursuits would be banned and criminals would be allowed to do as they please.....

If you dont believe me.... come read Townsville car theft rate... and find out first hand whats been going on here because of a no pursuit policy...

Yesterday 7... SEVEN KIDS... stole a RAV4 from Cairns, drove all the way to Townsville and then proceded to play chicken with on coming cars and almost ran several people off the road... they also sped through red lights.....with NOT ONE POLICE CAR NEAR THEM..... later in the morning they then knocked over a cyclist... and then ran into another car and rolled the RAV4.... 4times.

All 7kids then ran away from the scene and were later caught....

So whats been achieved by not chasing the car thieves?
NOTHING

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 15-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes i would happily allow the police to use my pristine car, also the only transport for me and my family that i`ve looked after to the extreme so it can be used as a battering ram for a thug....... and pigs might fly.
Old 15-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they say they will compensate the drivers. But what about emotional problems with the kids?
I know of a freinds little one who wont step into a car cos of a crash a few months back!
Old 15-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #15
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
One would like to believe that the state would reimburse you for the experience and financial loss of your car if it was totaled...so unless you were cruising in your P3 who cares, most cars are replaceable.

Agreed, it would be nicer if NSW residence actually stayed put, we have enough pest problems as it is

Sorry Poly. I heard the guy interviewed on the radio today. If he doesn't sue the dumbass cops it will be a miracle.

Fact is they had time to block 3 lanes of traffic and then fill up the emergency lane. They had all the public stay in there cars which acted as a road block.

The stolen vehicle had been on the run from Benalla 200km away and speeding all the way to Melbourne under police air-wing surveillance,

So the scenario was that 3 lanes of cars with normal citizens and their children were sitting ducks. It worked out fine. cops will pay for damage etc. But really if the guy had have gone all Kamikaze and tried to crash through a car full of little kids at 150+kph. Full noise disaster.

I understand the loon in the stolen car was basically going to go until it crashed or ran out of fuel, but why they didnt block the road is with a semi (they manage to pull them over on the Hume every other day) or use police cars, or as a minimum got the people out and behind the crash barriers that are there is beyond belief.

If you or I did something 1/4 as dangerous we would end up in jail.
Old 15-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #16
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Using a empty civilian car as part of a road block is not a big deal. But one with people in it... what were they thinking???
Old 15-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #17
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
... what were they thinking???
Where's my Donuts.....
Old 15-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #18
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwm
I'm surprised that all the 'safety' cameras on the Hume Freeway didn't stop him - given their invaluable contribution to public safety and reducing speeding.

http://www.camerassavelives.vic.gov....oint-to-point/

I'm surprised the police even bothered with a pursuit with that comprehensive safety net already in place.

Old 15-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

this thread has run its course
Closed Thread