Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Am I being stooged by Ford?

Hey all, just after some knowledge and advice, got the g’fs 05 Focus back from Ford. The engine light kept coming on hence why it went to Ford. It was taken back 3 times to Ford because the engine light kept coming back on. Ford claimed it was a faulty Oxy sensor. After charging a arm and a leg for it, it happened again, Ford now claim that its fine however the cat converter is faulty and because its faulty the engine light will always come on.

Does this sound correct? Doesn’t sound right to me. How can a faulty cat cause the engine light to come on when there is no sensor for the cat?

Normally my Ford service dealer has been great but just doubting what they are telling my gf and now me. Have spent alot to get this issue sorted.

Thanks in advance.

fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247663
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Mad_Pom

Default Re: Am I being stooged by Ford?

ASK them what DTC the PCM is setting, that caused them to believe it was the sensor and then I am sure someone on here can give you the decode of what the code means.
Mad_Pom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
gtfpv
GT

I DONT KNOW BUT YOU HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR THIS TO BE FIXED . IF IT HASNRT BEEN FIXED IT NOW SHOULD BE FOR FREE one would think .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

a faulty oxy sensor can ruin a cat convertor over time.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

A faulty cat will cause the engine light to come, as will most aftermarket cats.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

In your exhaust system there are the O2 sensors, one before the cat convertor and one after. The ecu will monitor both sensors and compare the readings. By camparing the exhust gasses before and after the cat convetor the ecu can determine how efficiently the cat is operating. If the ecu determines that it isnt operating to the required standard then a fault code will be logged and the check engine light will come on. The check engine light will only come on if there is an issue that cause poor emissions.

It sounds wrong but being in the idustry i believe what they have done is partly ok. They read the code relating to cat convertor effiency. Now its either a 02 sensor or can convertor. Its here where they went wrong- they should of explained That it can be either component. Unfortuantely there is no way to test each component so its a process of emlinination. 02 sensor will be tried first as it is actually a service item (it needs to be replaced every 80,000 to 100,000km) and its the cheaper part, the factory cat convertor is very expensive.

In practice what they did was right but it should of been explain that the 02 sensor may not solve the problem.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

They have, as you say, charged you an arm and a leg for the work, and yet it is still happening. Are you being stooged by Ford? I think you answer your own question. Take it back.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd take it back myself mate, thats no good
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 02:44 AM   #9
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why did they not believe the sensor? Thats what it is there for to tell you the cat isnt working properly. My son had the same happen to his Mazda. But they just said its the cat. He changed the whole system for the cost Mazda wanted for just changing the cat but no light any more.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

02 sensors can be tested ..The cat is almost in the exhaust manifold..
Our Focus had similar issues. We just fitted an aftermarket cat and flex tube ourselves at way less $$$...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #11
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great feed back mad pom,gtfpv,yift,ratter,xarate, fiesta man69,wild rider,deesun,ebxr8240 ,thank you all very much!!!!

Ford have been very good in the past, very honest however just this one time they have been just a little poor. They just called me and told me that as the cat is the only solution, it has to be 100% genuine which costs an arm and a leg. I asked if I could put a universal one on or aftermarket. They said no, only genuine will work. This particular car is like a bmw,vectra or mondeo u cant put a unoversal cat. Is this true??

Thanks again.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
RASER
Banned

I like [not] how Ford cannot even figure out what the issue is, so THEN it can be fixed

Take it to Bayfords, they know their stuff [well with Falcons anyway]

I had a Focus [previous model] as a hire car, it was appalling thing, i almost lost it in the hire-car carpark and poled it coming out of the yard...lol

THE only good thing i can say about it was it was a perfect match between ride/handling/comfort

Good luck with your problem, speak to the workshop manager and tell him/her your not all that impressed

Last edited by flappist; 08-05-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: do not avoid the swear filter
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

most after market cats will cause the engine light to come on, the aftermarket cats are not normally built to the same standards as the factory cat and operate differently, the ecu see's this as a failure and turns the light on.
If you end up getting an aftermarket cat, get it in writing that the shop will replace it if the light comes on.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #14
GUTLES
Adam.

Have you taken it to Bluepower or asked them about it?

You don't have a stock Exhaust, of course Ford are going to tell you that it needs a standard one on it.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
jixel 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
I like [not] how Ford cannot even figure out what the issue is, so THEN it can be fixed

Take it to Bayfords, they know their stuff [well with Falcons anyway]
Anyone can fix a Falcon. Couldnt have been a bad tank of fuel? Thats probably the Dealers fault too...would you have paid for tank removal, a fuel system clean out,2 new 02 sensors, and a cat? Or would it be better to try a new sensor first? It isnt just black and white, its very difficult to prove fuel quality. Cat converters are usually the victim of fuel quality, but dealers often have to nut them out with the tedious diagnosis,after many failed attempts by untrained people.

Last edited by flappist; 08-05-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: fixing quote
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Interesting to weigh up going to Ford to get parts that may or may not fix the car,
as a former owner of Gen 1 Mondeo, I sympathize with modern buyers of Euro Fords,
they're all great vehicles until they cause trouble amd then the dealership throws this line,
"If it was a falcon we could fix it no worries..." makes one feel sorry you ever bought Euro Ford.

Never the less, get a second opinion, many on here have given good tips and if Std parts
are murdering your wallet, perhaps a slight "retune" by a helpful shop performance shop
will overcome the problem....good luck mate.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #17
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Today is d day, will keep everyone updated on this issue. My argument is, why has it taken 3 visits and over 1g later to diagnose the issue. It should have been advised all in the one hit. It seems we are playing process of elmination which is very expensive

Old 08-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe because it was a complex problem, far more complex that it originally appeared.

I get rather annoyed at all the "experts" who do not actually work on these things on a daily basis and have little or no actual experience at all profurring their sage advice and casting aspersions on those who DO work on these things on a daily basis. 20/20 hindsight is an exact science once the problem is solved.

If they fixed your car be happy as you could not fix it and I am fairly confident neither could anyone else in this thread.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #19
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Maybe because it was a complex problem, far more complex that it originally appeared.

I get rather annoyed at all the "experts" who do not actually work on these things on a daily basis and have little or no actual experience at all profurring their sage advice and casting aspersions on those who DO work on these things on a daily basis. 20/20 hindsight is an exact science once the problem is solved.

If they fixed your car be happy as you could not fix it and I am fairly confident neither could anyone else in this thread.
Seems nobody actuallys reads my post, ive given an explination from a repairers point of view, i work on these problems with all makes of cars for a living and i am bery able to repair the issue as described by the OP.

In OPs situation ford had failed to correctly inform the customer of the situation and the diagnosis/repair process but ford have CORRECTLY undertaken the correct step of diagnosis.
Being a inline engine configeration hasnt helped them in the diagnosis which has added the expense of an O2 sensor, in a V configeration the O2 sensors can be swapped from one bank to the other, this quickly shows where the issue lays. If the fault code follows the o2 sensor then the o2 is very likey at fault but if the fault code stays with the same bank (passenger or drivers side cylinders) then the cat is most likely at fault (can also be wiring harness issue)

As this is not posiible on a inline 4cylinder a new o2 sensor may have to be used.

Ps only the heater circuit of an o2 sensor can be tested to "sense" wiring cannot be tested.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #20
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for all the input guys, Ford agreed to replace cats at no charge. It was to a degree their fault as they should have told us from the start what the issue was.

Last edited by xr8 007; 12-05-2012 at 04:53 PM. Reason: error
Old 12-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Those 02 sensors, do they work on resistance values?

Would it be possible to solder in resistors to keep them at a certain value, so they don't trigger the engine light if you replace it with an aftermarket cat?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #22
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8 007
Thanks for all the input guys, Ford agreed to replace cats at no charge. It was to a degree their fault as they should have told us from the start what the issue was.
That's an awesome outcome mate!

You must be very relieved?

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post