Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Gold Coast Police secret spy cam

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

UNDERCOVER police are secretly filming motoring enthusiasts hooning in the Gold Coast Hinterland -- and the drivers don't even know they've been caught.

Footage from the police helicopter and other surveillance devices has helped bust the Numinbah Valley hoon hotspot after the sophisticated operation captured hours of footage of young drivers performing dangerous stunts.

Police say the intersection of Pine Creek and Nerang-Murwillumbah roads has become "hoon central"after police blitzes drove them out of Surfers Paradise.

Car loads of "motoring enthusiasts" descend on Pine Creek Rd each weekend in a well-organised operation that places spotters on the road to warn their mates when police are on the way.

Usually, by the time police arrive most of the hoons have slipped away.

Black skidmarks scar the bitumen for hundreds of metres, with strands of steel belt from shredded tyres on the road.

But unknown to the hoons, performed their burnouts across the intersection the police helicopter had tracked every wild stunt while other police filmed the antics from hidden vantage points.

Some of the driving was so dangerous police say they were considering laying charges of dangerous driving.

So far six high-powered cars have been seized in the late-night blitz and more charges are likely.

Coomera Police traffic boss Senior Sergeant Liebig said it had been "frustrating" for police targeting the location.

"We would task police to the area, but because they have people watching the roads, they are able to slip away before we get there," said Snr Sgt Liebig.

Area councillor Ted Shepherd said local residents were "fed up" with the wild driving.

"We have received a number of complaints to our office, but they are State Government roads, so all we can do is pass the matter on to police," he said.

"They have been targeting that intersection and they have had some success."

Residents yesterday said they were tired of the streets near their homes being used as a hoon strip and feared it was only a matter of time before someone was killed or maimed.

"You can hear them for miles," said one local who asked to be identified only as Joe.

"I don't want to give my name because they are quite intimidating -- there are so many of them and they pretty much do what they want. They park all over the place and carry on pretty much every weekend.

"We're delighted the police have finally done something.

"We want them out of the valley."

Sens Sgt Liebig said the traffic branch would continue to crack down on the illegal activities and hoons were warned: "You never know when we will be watching."

--

Heard about this through the grape vine a few weeks ago, guess that means no more 'spirited' driving up through Springbrook. Imports/drifters ruin everything.

GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Gold Coast Police secret spy cam

Its a wonder the cops dont do more of this type of thing! I know down roads i go, i could have lost my licence, er thousands of times! You have to make sure no one gets annoyed by your fun, that way there are no complaints to the coppers on your patch of gravel/ashphalt/mud/etc :-)

Even today, I did a bit of 2 wheeled driving (getting good at that! youd be surprised!), massive slides on asphalt and dirt, jumps, speeding etc etc. Bad me, but no one saw and never does :-)
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post