Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #31
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Living in a shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyN
Hmm....just a thought here, is lightning something to be worried about?
Good point....I've got no idea
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #32
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
No one that I know of has ever had a problem, all metal is painted anyway.

However there is one thing I just remembered is that, often the house could vibrate if the lightning was close, only for a little bit though, not too big of a deal.

Not much just yet but it's only a start.

Last edited by XR6Naranja; 15-03-2012 at 10:56 AM.
XR6Naranja is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #33
Squish

I lived in a shed for a year. I'll be moving back in there soon enough too. It was a Ranbuild shed, it wasn't huge, (6mx9m), but had more space than my current flat. It got a bit warm in summer, but nothing an open window wouldn't fix. Admittedly I used to throw a lot of surface spray around, but I never had a huge pest problem, and the cats sorted out any mice quick smart. The only thing that used to get in all the time was frogs. I have no idea where from or how, but I had one living under my bedside table for weeks. I didn't mind the frogs though. the whole thing (including the slab) cost around 14k. It's a pity that guys are cutting corners like TheOrangeSpider mentioned, because mine was built very well. And to boot had a stronger wind rating than the house on the same block.
Squish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #34
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

14k....damn thats good for a single bloke........
Old 15-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #35
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
safer in a shed during lightning than anywhere else......purlins attach directly to posts which go straight to footings to ground

the kit shed shown is for shed price only, no windows, no floor and possibly only one door

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #36
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
safer in a shed during lightning than anywhere else......purlins attach directly to posts which go straight to footings to ground

the kit shed shown is for shed price only, no windows, no floor and possibly only one door
Thats the problem people have when looking at shed or kit homes
Most of these places even say it in the info packs
Cost is from the slab up,only includes 1 PA door, windows, additional doors not included,contact local councils for aproovals
They are usually rated to a certain wind rating , so any wind rating above that will endure additional bracing and costs
Early last year i helped a mate build a 2nd hand 7.3x7.3 m shed that he lives in at the moment
The slab cost a grand laid, the shed was i think 1500, a sliding door he had (swapped the roller door for the slider,)a big wimdow was bought at auction for $50 (swapped the other roller door for the window)
He lined the walls with styro flat panels , he is comfortable in there
His frame is a portal design just dynabolted to the slab

As for the shonky shed builders, well there in every trade and about every company
They usually get paid per shed for construction,so wack em up get paid
As long as the council aprove, its all good whos worried about a extra screw here and there
Id be more worried about the thin frame design , purlin spacing, top hat spacing,lack of screws than 1 extra here and there
As for welding is stronger , well if your a good welder maybe if you cant weld for peanuts then its dangerous
Bolting is good, even a monkey can bolt things
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #37
icer
Winning's Winning!

i think sheds are more a guy idea.

I thought it was awesome! If the price is right, would be great idea.

But i asked my missus and she was all 'as if it wouldn't blow away in a storm'. I laughed. She still wasnt sold on the idea. 'I want a brick home. I dont want to invite people back to 'our shed''. Blah! ... women!

Now with new setup 460rwkw on 15psi. 30PSI is fun!
icer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #38
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf

I would tend to agree with you too, especially considering the span of the tower section of the barn.

Whenever we had customers coming in to buy a shed for living purposes we would try to steer them away from the traditional C section frame and purlin system and more toward steel panel construction, simply for ease. Yes, it did take more time for me to design and get the right materials for the shed but construction times dropped on site so the customer was very happy in the end.
Old 15-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #39
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep! panels were after my time......I only understand "c" section and purlin.....when i was putting them up part time we started with timber, nails and corrugated iron, steel and tek screws were a whole new ball game.......shows my age

like everything else we move with the times or fall behind

I've actually seen a shed get struck, we were 60 feet away at the time in another shed having lunch, very pretty and frightening but all power went directly to ground through the steel, fried the electrics that the sparky had just put in so he had to start over, it did however crack one of the footings which we had to redo.....I just paid the boys a bit of overtime

we knocked off soon after that!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #40
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went n looked at website. 53 k is everything to go to ground floor lockup. Windows n all. U still need to buy upper windows etc. I assume u will need a reg builder to sign off on its construction. And then call your mates, plasterer, eleco, plumber and painter. I like the idea.
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #41
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What site ? Ranbuild ?
Old 15-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #42
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes n no would be the answer...

http://www.shedsplustamworth.com.au/88901.html

down the bottom 51,680 is SL3 , and the blurb that goes with it.
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #43
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I have been looking into this, but I was more into pre-fab homes, pretty much the same or similar, but its built in a factory in "modules" then trucked out to your property and put together there.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #44
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I have been looking into this, but I was more into pre-fab homes, pretty much the same or similar, but its built in a factory in "modules" then trucked out to your property and put together there.
Most pre fabbed homes are timber construction,and one of the main advantages is it turns up and its basically done,there on stumps
Theres no waiting for builders to come and go, builders not turning up ect
The costs are fairly similar
One house in town was a moduled build, total cost was over 120K

The advantage of building yourself,is on average you can save around 30% of the total build cost
So some do it themselves and then can afford to buy with the savings the premium appliances
The dearest part of any house is getting it outta the ground, wether thats slab/pre slab work,footings and or sub floor
Most new houses have to pass stringent environment issues
IF your rural ,and dont have town surage you have to go the likes of envoro cycle systems and these cost around 10K
Some places that dont have town water have to have capacity of 45,000L of water, usually 2 big tanks, add in another 5 or so K

Ive looked into a facets of building, be that shed style design, kit home either on a pallet or them to build, relocator homes, wether new or a 2nd hand house,all issues the cheapest is design it yourself, build it yourself
Know your budget,know some tradies and get into it
IF you have the spare time you can save heaps, if time is short or you cant be bothered there are other ways
Old 19-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #45
mistermxer

people should do this more often.. down lights would be easier to install..

mistermxer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #46
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't you need to buy the land to build the shed on too? Can't just build a shed can you? I mean, you'd need land, permits, and whatever else? (water lines, sewage, power etc) That would add to the cost....and land costs the most.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #47
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't you need to buy the land to build the shed on too? Can't just build a shed can you? I mean, you'd need land, permits, and whatever else? (water lines, sewage, power etc) That would add to the cost....and land costs the most.
Yes the purchase of your land helps
No you cant legally just build a shed
Over $3300 worth needs a registered builder
(thats all costs, materials, slab ect ect)
Permits and fees, depending on the class and the council , can vary emensly
Shed fees are a per SQM cost , upto a certain size, house or dwelling is a different SQM cost
Its costing me $500 to get my shed thru council ,only little 12M x 19M
But the house which is similar size is less
Old 13-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #48
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

A buddy of mine lives in the shed at his parents place. Very, very comfortable, I wish I had a shed like that that I could live in. Only problem is no running water and no toiletries whatsoever. Middle of the night, need to take a dump, gotta run back inside the house.

That might be a deal breaker for me.

Otherwise, its extremely comfortable with half carpet, half lino floors, heating, air conditioning etc. He's got a big tv, big bed, computer, his drum kit (which he can play to his hearts content), fridge, PS3, 360...what else does a 21 year old need other than a woman now and again?

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #49
68xt

Look up Quaker barn,

heaps of people here have built them and live in them. a shed is really no different.

some relatives lived in their 4 car garage while their house was being built, they loved it.
68xt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #50
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would it be expensive to cool?
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #51
Big Bird 17

I saw a shed/house on a real estate site some time ago.It was an old rusty shed on the outside but inside it had all been gyprocked and could have been a modern home if you saw the inside pics.It was at Gulgong and i think it was on a couple of acres,it was selling for 225,000.