Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Define "Tyre kicker" or "dreamer"

Tyre kicker or dreamer
If im in the market for a ute ,lets say, and ive 5 to look at
Am i a tyre kicker if i check 5 out, drive the 5 ,goin into details with the sellers and only buying 1 ???
Would the 4 other hopefull sellers refer to me as that ???

The 2nd hand car market is huge to say the least, but who seriously spots "The one" and does the deal on the day ???

When i bought my patrol i looked over a dozen , and id like to say the sellers were dreamers
Maybe the terms should be changed ???
Maybe lookers should be tyre kickers and sellers should be refered as dreamers ???
Why are buyers branded both ???

302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Default Re: Define "Tyre kicker" or "dreamer"

A tyre kicker IMO is somebody who isn't seriously looking to buy, but more dreaming or wasting time. I frequently go tyre kicking at car yards but if I'm approached by a sales guy I make it clear thats all I'm doing.

If you are really going to buy a ute you can look as as many as you like before making the decision on which one to actually purchase. Thats buyers choice.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

I can see this thread heading the same way as the "No offers" discussion.
Let's hope I am proved wrong..

In truth it is prudent for a buyer to sample a wide variety of vehicles prior to making a purchase. More the fool is he that parts with his coin without first establishing the value of his intended purchase.
The line between cautious buyer, & tyre kicking time waster depends upon what side of the transaction you are on, & is I suspect quite similar to the ongoing Blue v Red battle...
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Tyre kicker is a person who has no intent on buying anything.

Vary rarely do you buy the first car you look at. If you are in the market for a car and inspect several and end up buying one you are not a tyre kicker.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva

Vary rarely do you buy the first car you look at.
If you are in the market for a car and inspect several and end up buying one you are not a tyre kicker.

I have bought 4 cars in my life and all 4 of them were the first thing I looked at. I did my research before hand and have come away happy every time.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
I have bought 4 cars in my life and all 4 of them were the first thing I looked at. I did my research before hand and have come away happy every time.
Well that's great to hear You are certainly not a tyre kicker then

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

To me the definition of a "Tyre Kicker" is someone who has no interest in buying.

When checking out a used car, I always make it known that I am looking at other cars and am wanting to buy.

It really is the people that come along with no intension of buying or perhaps are not sure that the model of car is even what they are wanting as it is their 2nd or 3rd choice but not really what they are after.

People often will look at cars outside their price point too, just to take it for a ride to say they "test" drove one of those once.

Cheers
Col
Old 03-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
ROBBO1981

tyre kicker = someone with cash but wont part with it

dreamer = someone without cash, and just wants to go for a drive.

i agree with the dreamer instant with sellers, high priced ****. buying second hand buying others problems. buy new getting genuine factory problems.
SUBS, IPOD CONECTION, EXHAUST, K&N FILTER.
MORE TO COME.
ROBBO1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
LTDHO
The one and only

Nothing wrong with researching if you are in the market to buy.

Tire kickers waste sellers time as they have no interest in buying.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
JimStone

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11361430
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I constantly test drive cars of all types whether I immediately want to buy one or not.

But then again I have bought new FPV, Ford, Holden, Hyundai, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda and second hand Ford, Holden, Nissan, Toyota, Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Datsun & Kia.

Quite a number of these, my first F6 included were just driven "tyre kicking" when I had no intention of buying........until I drove it.

Two examples of getting it wrong:

1) Feb 2003 just after the motor show in Bris I went to Bryan Byrt Ford to test drive the just released BA XR8 after an invite from a salesman at the show. As I looked rather dishevelled due to big night after the show I was refused.
A few days later I went to Madills in Noosa to test drive a demo GTS Coupe, again refused as I had parked a 1984 laser out the front (my drunk car).
One week later I ordered a BA GT-P with every option except sunroof ($84k) and took delivery of #66.

2) April 2008 I went to 5 different Nissan dealers to test drive a 350Z. None were interested except a guy from Kingaroy who did not actually have one but organised for me to test drive the "state demo". I bought a Track Coupe from him ($70k)

One example of getting it right:

I went into what is now Fraser Coast Motor Centre FPV to look at a new vehicle to replace my GT-P which had been sold privately. The sales guy said "Have you driven the new F6?" to which I replied "no, not interested in something slower than the GT-P".
I thought about it overnight and decided that a "tyre kick" would not hurt.
Next day I wandered back and asked for a drive with no interest in buying it whatsoever........I bought it two hours later.

Be careful who you think are tyre kickers and time wasters, you may get it VERY wrong.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #12
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I constantly test drive cars of all types whether I immediately want to buy one or not.

But then again I have bought new FPV, Ford, Holden, Hyundai, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda and second hand Ford, Holden, Nissan, Toyota, Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Datsun & Kia.

Quite a number of these, my first F6 included were just driven "tyre kicking" when I had no intention of buying........until I drove it.

Two examples of getting it wrong:

1) Feb 2003 just after the motor show in Bris I went to Bryan Byrt Ford to test drive the just released BA XR8 after an invite from a salesman at the show. As I looked rather dishevelled due to big night after the show I was refused.
A few days later I went to Madills in Noosa to test drive a demo GTS Coupe, again refused as I had parked a 1984 laser out the front (my drunk car).
One week later I ordered a BA GT-P with every option except sunroof ($84k) and took delivery of #66.

2) April 2008 I went to 5 different Nissan dealers to test drive a 350Z. None were interested except a guy from Kingaroy who did not actually have one but organised for me to test drive the "state demo". I bought a Track Coupe from him ($70k)

One example of getting it right:

I went into what is now Fraser Coast Motor Centre FPV to look at a new vehicle to replace my GT-P which had been sold privately. The sales guy said "Have you driven the new F6?" to which I replied "no, not interested in something slower than the GT-P".
I thought about it overnight and decided that a "tyre kick" would not hurt.
Next day I wandered back and asked for a drive with no interest in buying it whatsoever........I bought it two hours later.

Be careful who you think are tyre kickers and time wasters, you may get it VERY wrong.
your making a lot of sense to me lately...

when i bought my fg i reckon i test drove at least a dozen cars. one, the kia optima, i had zero intention of buying, but in the end my final three was the kia, a ve ss, and my fg.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tyre kickers = 45% of people looking on ebay dreamers = 45% of people selling on ebay sufferers = the othe 10% who have to cope with it all
Old 03-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #14
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I make a point of buying my cars wearing my Yakka Shorts, and a trade top of some sort with my work boots.

Whoever knocks me back gets a visit in whatever car I end up with. Never had a Problem with the FPV, the XR6T or both Renault's, although I was with the old man when he bought (Brand Spanker on showroom floor at the time) BMW X5 3.0sd Sports Exec. $140k or so, me and dad both in work clothes, and not an issue until I went to ask the btch at the reception desk something, and she lifted a tandoori tanned finger to her collagen blown 50 year old prozzy lips to say shhh, and answered the phone before even acknowledging me (clearly assuming I was there to "dream" - WRONG). So I got her fired (at least I hope I did ).

The other one was the mincing little wnker down at Lance Dixon Fiat/Alfa in Doncaster. I was 20 at the time looking to replace my Fiesta with an Alfa 147, VW Polo GTI, Fiat Punto Diesel Sport, or RS Clio 182 Cup. Had no problem anywhere until I rocked up at this knobs dealership.

Wanted to try out the 147 or the Diesel Punto Sport, and he goes "yeah no, iIwant to see a signed blank cheque before I let you in this car..... From then on I hated Alfa and Fiat. August "Gus" Favrin I think his name was, Avoid, the guy is an elitist ******. Anyway, I went back 2 days later in my Shiny brand new Clio Sport 182, to let him know he had lost a very much potential sale.

Such a fine line between the wanna be's the would be if they could be's and just the scumbags with money who make a point of dressing up like a bearded squattter to buy a $50-100k car because it's p!ss funny to see the reactions
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #15
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Wasnt it 50 Cent or the Game who sung that song, "Window Shopper?"
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
A tyre kicker IMO is somebody who isn't seriously looking to buy, but more dreaming or wasting time. I frequently go tyre kicking at car yards but if I'm approached by a sales guy I make it clear thats all I'm doing.
Pretty much spot on, really.. any further discussion is useless.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
El Caco
Steve

I went with cash to buy a Plymouth Duster years ago, the sales man told me I have to wait until the following week to test drive it depite me telling him that I drove 5 hours to buy it and I have cash. Since I had nothing better to do I decided to go tyre kicking but there was nothing I was interested in at all. I found a V8 Torana Hatch with flares and SS sticker, I wasn't even interested in taking it for a test drive but the sales man insisted it was quick and I didn't believe him.

Later that afternoon I drove my genuine SS back to the other car yard to let him know I wouldn't be coming back for that test drive as I had bought something else.
El Caco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #18
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol I think the seller gets the terms wrong themselves a lot of the time.

Just because someone rocks up and doesn't want to give you what you want doesn't make them a tyre kicker or dreamer.

Really how can you have any idea of what their financial and therefore buying position is.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #19
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To me as a salesman a tyre kicker is someone who either wants to buy or only hears what they want me to hear. An example was a conversation I had with a walk in customer the other day:

Customer
"Whats the price of a solar system?

Me
"How big? we have five different brands of panels and 3 different brands of inverter. How big is your power bill?"

Customer
"I just wnat a price before I waste any time with this conversation, ok?"

Me
"I can easily throw a price at you, but it probably wouldn't be the actual price"

Customer
"Throw a price at me"

Me
"I can't without knowing your needs, what's your power bill?"

Customer
Hangs up

i.e. tyre kicker is someone who wastes time and ignores everything they don't want to hear, in this example only wanted a price, but didn't want to talk about the price of the system he needed, which made it impossible for me to give him a price anyway and just wasted time. Of course you get the people looking for multiple quotes and systems, and fair enough if they go elsewhere, just gotta do your job and sell better than the other guys. When someone isn't going to do any business with you unless your the cheapest or give them a price quicker than the other guys, it only really gets annoying when they persist on just a price when they refuse to be sold to!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #20
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tyre kicker is someone who comes along to see the car with no intention or means of buying the car. Basically just time wasters. As an owner you accept you'll get a few lookers before selling. Unfortunately though there are some that will never buy the car.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #21
Billy Piston
Starter Motor

Definition of dreamer:

I recently sold a roadbike and a 70 yo bloke:

1/ inspected the bike over a number of weekends
2/ test rode it
3/ showed me pictures of his glory days on bikes
4/ gave me a measly $50 when I said I needed money to hold it
5/ was concerned engine number didn't match rego papers although VIN did
6/ made me change it by getting a new blue slip before he would buy
7/ screwed me down on price
8/ decided he was too old to ride bikes
9/ pulled out
Billy Piston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #22
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg1991
Customer
Who are you......Slartibartfast??????
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #23
Chopped
as in chopped

One day I would really like turn up to a car for sale and actually just walk around, kick all of the tyres, shake my head and say "nup", then walk off..........

To really mess with the sellers head, I could wear a cape with giant "T K" letters on it...
Old 05-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #24
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg1991
To me as a salesman a tyre kicker is someone who either wants to buy or only hears what they want me to hear. An example was a conversation I had with a walk in customer the other day:

Customer

Me
"How big? we have five different brands of panels and 3 different brands of inverter. How big is your power bill?"

Customer
"I just wnat a price before I waste any time with this conversation, ok?"

Me
"I can easily throw a price at you, but it probably wouldn't be the actual price"

Customer
"Throw a price at me"

Me
"I can't without knowing your needs, what's your power bill?"

Customer
Hangs up

i.e. tyre kicker is someone who wastes time and ignores everything they don't want to hear, in this example only wanted a price, but didn't want to talk about the price of the system he needed, which made it impossible for me to give him a price anyway and just wasted time. Of course you get the people looking for multiple quotes and systems, and fair enough if they go elsewhere, just gotta do your job and sell better than the other guys. When someone isn't going to do any business with you unless your the cheapest or give them a price quicker than the other guys, it only really gets annoying when they persist on just a price when they refuse to be sold to!
i thought i was the only one!

Customer on phone: how much is a laptop?

Me: do you have a preference to brand? have you had one before? what are you using it for?

customer: i just want to know how much a laptop is!

me: errrr..... hows 1999$ sound. (HP 17" monster laptop)

customer: that sounds fine, ill take one. heres my credit card details. ill be in to the store in 1 hour to collect it.

me: done.

lol found out later it was for email and internet use, so a 599$ asus would have done the job. too stupid to care lol.

Ice
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #25
wicko

Tyre kicker is the person that wants to touch, it feel, talk about it, but won't (can't) buy it (call them a 'gunna' or pracastinator - they'll still be talking about buying it in 5 yrs time). Sometimes you miss the signs but not bothering to turn up at alloted time to view the car is a good sign.

Its a 2 way street.

Know someone that turned up at the local Holden Dealer to buy a car (had the coin & was dressed in work gear). All the salesman are standing around doing nothing (ignoring him as he sits in the car, lifts the bonnet etc). He goes to a salesman and wants to talk about doing a deal - is told they are too busy & he'd have to make an appointment for Saturday. Guy leaves and walks into Ford dealer and did the deal on his new Ford on the spot.

I went to buy a car for the eldest son - want to look at buying a car and talk price. They won't talk to me until I put $1000 on my credit card as a deposit, then I can talk to the guy who'll talk price. Told them I'm not putting down any deposit until I know what they will let it go for (it was son's first car in the less then $5K bin). In reality I just wanted a couple of hundred off the price. Guy was an idiot & I walked (he thought he was smug & I was an idiot)

Last edited by wicko; 05-04-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Correct spelling so it reads better
wicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #26
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Meh, there are ********* everywhere in life. If you don’t want to deal with them as a buyer, take your business elsewhere.
If you don’t want to deal with them as a seller, then take your car to a wholesaler.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #27
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva

Vary rarely do you buy the first car you look at. If you are in the market for a car and inspect several and end up buying one you are not a tyre kicker.
No doubt to the first few owners you are a no good low down Tyre kicker. Some people seem to be of the mistaken belief that when they put down "first to see will buy", that it actually has some link with reality and that only one person will turn up to view their baby and that person will immediately buy it...idiots...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #28
brett7777
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For me, a tyre kicker is anyone who:
~ takes an hour of your time looking at the vehicle & then offers you way lower $ than what you would possibly take, after you've already said in your ad that the price is firm, or that you don't want low offers (I put that kind of thing in all my ads).
I've sold a lot of vehicles, & I've found you do have to weed some enquirers out, otherwise dreamers etc take up too much time.
One I just had: person who said they would buy a bike off me, took 2 and a half weeks to organize finance, then went to insure it & couldn't because they didnt have a full licence, so the finance co wouldnt pay out.
brett7777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post