Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #31
nstg8a

Default Re: Opinions on 2000 MITSUBISHI MAGNA TJ VR-X

There's some serious window alignment issues then cost Magna seals are huge. Mine never leaked even in NZ winters.

Certainly not a chronic problem
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #32
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ezz I was wondering why didn't see u on AMC anymore, ur spending all your time here lol

I absolutely miss the frameless windows. Only thing was the door was loud when swinging it closed as the window lacked support, but never had any leaks in mine. Again, great cars just buy it!!! Lol
For the price they are asking for em you get a lot of features and reliability
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #33
RAPID_BA
Banned

i know someone who just traded one in. it was worn to buggery with 320000km but largely gave him trouble free motoring. didnt change anything major and did a bit of towing.

he also said he embarrassed many eb-au windsor xr8s with its power.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #34
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy XR6 Turbo
Ps I was told the timing belt needed changing at 90k, not 100k like majority of cars????
I was told the same, but only from a servicing point of view. The belt is due at 100, but with service intervals of 15k, it's either 90 or 105, and they (Mitsu) prefer to do it early rather than late.

I have a 2008 model 380, which is like a BF to AU comparison - ie essentially the same car as a VJ, just upgraded somewhat. The VJ in VR-X spec is a good looking car, with plenty of room and power (not a V8 beater, but certainly as quick as a 4.0 falcon), and not bad economy.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #35
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Ha. A mate at work has one and so does my dad.
You can see daylight through the gaps
Around the rear door windows are particulary bad.

If they remove engine to do do spark plugs - wonder what they do to the windows :-)
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #36
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting to see some people assuming the worst but only being familiar with the one car, which is probably in poor condition.

Every vehicle has it's issues. When I was dealing directly with MMAL, an Australian company was commisioned to quantify the cost of repairs under warranty.iirc Holden cost the most at about $150 per vehicle, Ford next at about $80 and the Magna at $30. These were averaged out over the quantity of each car sold vs rectification works.

Suggesting an AU is ok, if you want to deal with multiple rust issues, head gaskets are common place, collapsed front seats and then there is the styling... Magna's are a good solid car, far more resilient than other Aussie built sixes.

"Mitsubishi says Ralliart Magna, with a claimed 0-100km/h acceleration time of just 6.71 seconds, is quicker than both Falcon XR6 models, the 220kW V8 XR8 and HSV's supercharged V6 XU-6. To boot, it betters all of them, by a fair margin, for fuel economy. The secret here is weight, with Ralliart Magna's paltry 1493kg mass easily undercutting the rest."
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #37
Ezz
05 BF XR6T

No such problem in either of mine. Put it down to poor maintenance. All the rubbers are still in perfect condition. Windows are one of the things I miss...frameless are awesome.
My VRX has done over 230,000ks and has not missed a beat. Just regular servicing and a regular clean has kept it lookin great and performing wonderfully.
I've sourced a 3.8 lt from a 380 VRX and will look at putting it into the girl to give it new life. U can pick up a VRX for around 5k and a ralliart for under 10 k now. If u can get one that has been well looked after, that's amazing value for money.
340+kW @ the wheels @ 14psi

Brembo 6 Pots / ZF Tune
BIG Thanks to Chris & Theo
BLUEPOWER Racing Development
Ezz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #38
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ralliart for under $10k? They are a sweet rig.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #39
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Ralliart for under $10k? They are a sweet rig.
Ralliart prices cover a massive range, anything from 8k - 15k which is pretty extreme at both ends. I'd suggest 11-12 is where they should be.
I reckon I could persuade wifey to part with hers for 12ish, low k's, black, auto, full service history from day dot and bonus Blackmans Leather interior that I have not seen in any other Ralliart and Whiteline strut brace which does sure up the front end quite a bit.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #40
Ezz
05 BF XR6T

Mine was immaculate and I sold it a yeAr and a half ago for $13,500. Ifu look at the RedBook value now, they are around 10 and below ... Which doesn't do them justice. But considering I had mine up for sale originally 6 months prior at $15,900 whent the valuation of Ralliart's was at 15k at that time, in 6 months the value dropped to 13k. So, after selling mine in the conditions that it was in, to ask for anything over 10k now, you wld really have to impress me. Still, they are very rare with less than 500 now of the 500 made here in oz, through right offs etc. 100 were built and sent to NZ too.
340+kW @ the wheels @ 14psi

Brembo 6 Pots / ZF Tune
BIG Thanks to Chris & Theo
BLUEPOWER Racing Development
Ezz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #41
Tommie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have had a 96 TE V6 for over ten years now. It's just clocked 225,000kms. Has not missed a beat, still goes really well for it's age. Have just changed timing belts every 100k and a water pump recently. Good honest car.
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #42
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood-G6
Not good mate.
Owned a KJ Verada with Ralliart suspension and exhaust....And also the 17" VRX alliys
Had it for 8 years. Great car. The 3.5 V6 is a decent reliable engine and i had no issues with it. The trans was the 4 speed tiptronic auto and it was the car's achilles heel. It had to be replaced at 120k as it $817 itself. The rear screen rubber started perishing badly as well. Suspension , brakes , body work and interior were A1. It was a good car overall and was also a good looking car in stark white with the black highlights on the alloys.

Only issue we had was parking the damned thing. Those verada bumpers add like 30 cm front and rear.....it was a long car.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #43
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Mum had a TJII VRX manual in Wasp Yellow .... with sunroof.

Was such a refine vehicle to drive ... nice and easy ... decent grip as well from the GIII rubber on it.

Wouldn't mind one as a run around .... i have a soft spot for them.
They are good looking vehicle still. Nice and comfy.

Torque steer was only an issue when thrashing it ... when driven normally (even spiritedly) .... it was fine ... and very sure-footed.

The VRX stock exhaust note wasn't bad either. That was in a manual.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #44
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks so much for all the replies guys, just shows why we all love this forum so much. Heaps of great help available.

I was going to try and sway the poor lad into a EL XR6 or an AUII XR6 but that was more because it was a Ford and I was going to be a bad influence on him lol. He eventually dreams of a Mitisubishi GT0 3000 twin turbo, so I'm going to let him find his own way through cars, just like I did. I'm just going to be happy for him, just thank god he doesnt like Holdens

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #45
EATHSV
Oo---oO

Great car. Just watch for understeer and torque steer. (the V6 is a grunty thing) Bit of water on the road and its all kinds of fun.

Successful transactions with the following members:
Ride, Raised by Monkeys, TICK4D-TAS, Falcman007, 2002AU, JC.
EATHSV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post