Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-11-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
GJW
Considering Purchase

Default Adding Cruise Control

My Mother in Law owns a AU Wagon and she would like cruise control added but doesnt want to spend a lot of $$$

The car appears to be the base model wagon (cant see any badges on it and havent looked under the bonnet but it has the ugly Baleen whale grill)

I installed a cheap cruise control some years ago on my Laser (cost about $150 from KMart) and it worked ok for a while (althought the little laser was not really a great candidate as it was manual and didnt have the torque to drive up hills in top).

My questions are:
1) Do you think it is an economical option to purchase a genuine unit from a wrecker and fit that? What parts would be needed? Would it need new wiring looms or is it just buy the actuator, controller etc and plug it in to the existing loom? (I am an ex motor mechanic so shouldnt be a major problem if i can find all the infomation needed)
OR
2) would it be better just to take it to an aftermarket cruise control installer
OR
3) has someone installed one of the cheap units and found it to be perfectly acceptable?
OR
4) does anyone know if a Ford stealer would be able to still get the original unit and if so how much might this option cost.

Hope I can look forward to some help here as I have found a lot of assistance in regards to my questions about buying a Terror tree elsewhere in this forum (hell of a lot better forum than the Subaru forum!)

GJW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

hey mate, i bought a cruise kit from the wreckers (FTG) for about $250 i think.
I am yet to put the damn thing in though..
I got some STUPIDLY high quotes from auto elecs to do that PLUS my power window conversion that i have got all the stuff for.

I personally wouldnt go aftermarket suff, I just think that if you are to do the conversion... do it properly!

Cheers
rob
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2005, 06:47 PM   #3
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I have aftermarket cruise which does not work. I did want to get rid of it a little while back and found out what I needed and went nup, don't wanna do that.

My cruise control is my right foot.

If you want to do it, you should be able to pick up a factory cruise control from the wreckers, or if you're lucky enough, from eBay too.