Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-11-2005, 12:49 PM   #31
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Brain cells on strike are they, mate?

Or is the strain of the IT department just becoming a bit too much?

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 12:50 PM   #32
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth00
Just a test (Hmmm my post counter seems to be stuck)

I wonder if it would work if I was at Holden forums
Its not working cause you have a nissan badge. The forum can detect non ford passionate forum users (but you learnt that at TAFE didnt you : )
Old 17-11-2005, 01:17 PM   #33
Stealth00

Fine its time for a TAFE vs UNI poll, will be interesting to see the percentage of people who went to Uni compared to TAFE.

BTW this thread is a ****a, thankx guys i needed a laugh (even if its at my expence).
Stealth00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 01:25 PM   #34
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

I went to TAFE. Many times for many courses. As they say......Jack of all trades but master of none.......
Old 17-11-2005, 01:30 PM   #35
Matty_XR6
New XR owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder
Its not working cause you have a nissan badge. The forum can detect non ford passionate forum users [B](but you learnt that at TAFE didnt you[B] : )

After 2 yrs there you think he would :evil_laug

jks mate
Old 17-11-2005, 01:41 PM   #36
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

TAFE's got to be the best educational institution of Oz. I mean you can spend $20,000 in course fee's for a semester in University or pay $700 at TAFE for one course. But then you would hate to think higher education falls into the category of "you get what you pay for". :
Old 17-11-2005, 01:47 PM   #37
hambo_12

Quote:
TAFE's got to be the best educational institution of Oz. I mean you can spend $20,000 in course fee's for a semester in University or pay $700 at TAFE for one course. But then you would hate to think higher education falls into the category of "you get what you pay for". :

Im not tooting my own horn here, but ive done both (Well, part way through uni), and I must say, that uni is a complete class above TAFE for what I am studying (IT), and I expect my job opportunities to reflect this.

Dont get me wrong, TAFE is great, and cheap, but it doesnt compare to uni, in the field I am studying.

Now, for others areas of study, I have been told many times TAFE is a lot better than uni, I spose its just a question of justifying the fees....

Just my 2c... (dont want to start a war here :monkes: )

**EDIT: Just thinking on this, there could be an endless argument that one year at TAFE, and 3 years on the job is better than 4 years at Uni with no experience. But then theres the task of finding a job that requires only TAFE study, I could go on for hours....
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 02:03 PM   #38
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

Just curious.. How hard is it to break into the IT industry these days with just certifications and no experience?

What age would you be finishing uni courses generaly? 22?
Just sometimes, in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that four hundredth glass of cornershop p**s at 3am, you do sometimes look at yourself and think... this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
Sagerian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 02:07 PM   #39
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Can you imagine studying to be a doctor or lawyer at TAFE?
Old 17-11-2005, 02:10 PM   #40
Stealth00

TAFE is hands on Thunder - just what would be doctors and lawyers need, some hands on experience before they try it on real customers
Stealth00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 02:28 PM   #41
hambo_12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerian
Just curious.. How hard is it to break into the IT industry these days with just certifications and no experience?

What age would you be finishing uni courses generaly? 22?
Well it depends on the course, but generally 22 or 23. I actually spent 2 years on the job before I started uni, and it is through distance ed, so the course goes for 5 years (ussually 6, but I got credit from TAFE courses). Why bother you say? Well, my employer is paying, so I couldnt say no! :togo:
Old 17-11-2005, 02:28 PM   #42
hambo_12

Quote:
What do you mean by this??
Old 17-11-2005, 02:36 PM   #43
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

Well you wouldn't expect to study at uni if you wanted to be a bricky, just as you wouldn't go to TAFE to be a doctor or a lawer.
Two different institutions for different jobs..
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 02:40 PM   #44
hambo_12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado
Well you wouldn't expect to study at uni if you wanted to be a bricky, just as you wouldn't go to TAFE to be a doctor or a lawer.
Two different institutions for different jobs..
Yeah, im in complete agreeance of this, there are some jobs where uni is a prerequisite, however there are some feilds where either is acceptable, i.e IT, among others...And this is where the arguments starts about which is better...
Old 17-11-2005, 03:10 PM   #45
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

The IT Indistry is huge with lots of differant job functions and roles.

Just looking at IT support(which is very broad on its own)
If the position is a PC support or Helpdesk position then I would say a TAFE course would probably land you this role, But if it is a Sys Admin role(also refered to as IT Support) looking after Production servers that need to be up 24/7 like in a bank or at Telstra then I would say you would have to have atleast 5 years experiance and a bit of luck to score that role with TAFE studies. A uni degree will help you land that role a lot easier.

I would say in the IT industry TAFE courses are considered fine for desktop support roles, Help Desk roles and general hands on HW tech roles.

A Uni background would be favoured for your Backend, large server admin roles, developement or project roles.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 04:10 PM   #46
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambo_12
Well it depends on the course, but generally 22 or 23. I actually spent 2 years on the job before I started uni, and it is through distance ed, so the course goes for 5 years (ussually 6, but I got credit from TAFE courses). Why bother you say? Well, my employer is paying, so I couldnt say no! :togo:
That's probably a good idea. I got started doing part time studies with full time work, but this was back in the day when you were judged by your knowledge. I only ask as I'm now 24 and have 8 years experience in the industry so am rather clueless as to what is required for the newbie IT person who's 22-23 with 0 years..
Just sometimes, in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that four hundredth glass of cornershop p**s at 3am, you do sometimes look at yourself and think... this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
Old 17-11-2005, 04:13 PM   #47
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambo_12
What do you mean by this??
I mean its horses for courses.

TAFE is an avenue for different paths than Uni students.

Thats why doctors and lawyers graduate from Uni and plumbers and mechanics go to TAFE. Thats a better senario than plumbers and mechanics graduating from uni and doctors and lawyers going to TAFE dont you think :Reverend:

To me TAFE is an affordable way of getting the job you want as apposed to 3-7 years at uni wishing that its been worth it, to be working in the field you want (notice i did not say job you want for uni).

Last edited by Thunder; 17-11-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 05:03 PM   #48
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

When you borrow loan equipment, please return it whenever you like and be sure to sub-loan it without telling the IT staff. We don't mind, we have an endless supply of laptops and other loan equipment.

Sadly, this happens here far too often. I've now resorted to disabling machine accounts one the loan period has expired.
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 06:34 PM   #49
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDrifter
When you borrow loan equipment, please return it whenever you like and be sure to sub-loan it without telling the IT staff. We don't mind, we have an endless supply of laptops and other loan equipment.

Sadly, this happens here far too often. I've now resorted to disabling machine accounts one the loan period has expired.
Yup, that happens all too often.

When the Mouse is a little dirty, it is expected that you just get a new one.. Afterall, mice breed hourly.
Old 17-11-2005, 09:55 PM   #50
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerian
Yup, that happens all too often.

When the Mouse is a little dirty, it is expected that you just get a new one.. Afterall, mice breed hourly.
Of course they do...
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 12:40 PM   #51
Matty_XR6
New XR owner

Rofl!