Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 11-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
dburrast
Starter Motor

Default 2012 lw focus SHUDDER AND ENGINE LABOUR

hi all
i have owned a lw trend 2l auto for about 5 weeks now.
3021ks on clock. still having problems with the gearbox being in too high agear at lower revs when coasting then when accelerating it does not change downit labours the engine and vibrates until the revs pick up. the dealerrecognises the problem but can do nothing to help and ford are no help either.
i also have another problem , when driving the car and after it warms up ,whenturning a left hand corner there is a loud rattle comming from the engine area.I can hear it with the windows up. the dealer has made another car in theiryard do the same thing but once again cannot locate or fix it.
i am now very frustrated with the car after being excited at first (wish ihad bought a mazda)

dburrast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: 2012 lw focus SHUDDER AND ENGINE LABOUR

This is exactly what warranty is for, if the dealer recognises that the car has some issues take it back it and tell them you want it fixed. If you can't get any satisfaction through the dealer and Ford Australia are passing it back to the dealer then mention you will be contacting The Department of Fair Trading and see if that gets results. If all else fails there always the media ( ACA or Today Tonight)
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
Aussie XB12SS
Buell Man

Been waiting for someone to comment on this.
Ours is about 3 weeks old & only done 600 km's but I noticed it from the first day.
We have the Titanium & there is an issue with the engine seeming like it is about to stall & shudders slightly - has something to do with the auto.
If your dealer doesn't know about the issue then find another dealer.

My wife brought the issue up & the Service Manager took the car for a drive & noticed it straight away.
He contacted Ford that day & they said there is an issue.
I'm not exactly sure what it is as I only know what my wife told me who is not mechanically minded & her explanation was - "the car needs to be re calibrated because they have tried to make a manual gearbox into an automatic & it is having trouble changing gears at low revs & can't re learn itself"

I take it that the ECU needs to be reprogrammed which is happening on Friday.
They mucked around with one on the lot then rang us & said bring it in.

No idea what the rattle would be.
Harley Fat Bob
Aussie XB12SS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
dburrast
Starter Motor

thnaks Aussie XB12SS . i lodged a formal complaint with ford and they are supposed to contact me on thursday after contacting my dealer and let me know what they are going to do. i will print my post and your reply (with your permission) and take them to my dealer and shove in their face if the response from ford is not to my liking.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

And this didn't show during the months / years of testing, calibration and re-testing any new car goes through???

Hopefully it gets sorted out pronto for you guys. If the dealership does not help you to YOUR satisfaction get on to Ford head office and they will step in for you.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
20focus05
I wanna XR5

The shudder issues does sound like the trans, not shifting correctly. Could be trans ecu issue, TPS?

Keep bothering the dealer, and bothering the dealer and Ford Aust.

I have had customers that have been real pains, but things happen for them and even if its not really warranty.

Even get their "engineers" involved or area manager

I have just finished work as a tech for a Toyota,Mitsubishi and Hyundai dealer.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
DeKa

What petrol are you guys with shuddering running it on?
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
dburrast
Starter Motor

I am using shell vpower 98 octane petrol
Old 17-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
dburrast
Starter Motor

as far as trying to contact ford head office all i keep getting is the customer relations office can not get any higher up the ladder. if anybody has a number which bypasses these people i would be gratefull
Old 17-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
Aussie XB12SS
Buell Man

BP Ultimate.
Focus went in last Friday & was re calibrated (still don’t know what that is) & had an update done.
Shudder is gone & drives quite nicely now.
Also had something fixed on the steering lock which is going to be a recall.
Harley Fat Bob
Old 17-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
F6 Aimz

I'm guessing this is the same issue?
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...d.php?t=260219
F6 Aimz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #12
Aussie XB12SS
Buell Man

Pretty much. I only read the first two pages & last page but it all sounds familiar.
I have also started noticing the noise when changing from 1st to 2nd gear.

Following quote from that site I found intersting about the steering noise.
Sounds the same as dburrast commented about in the opening post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBALDREE Focus Fantastic Forum
I just had TSB 11-10-2 done. The transmission is much smoother and shifts well. I still detect some shutter but at a tolerable level. I still hear a noise when the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd, but not all that bad. The bad problem I'm having is steering noise when the wheels are turned right or left. I think this same issue is causing road noise problems at highway speeds. [/URL]
Harley Fat Bob
Old 17-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
dburrast
Starter Motor

I have now done3300ks and no change in the shudder and rattle when making left turn and accelerating out of corner. The rattle is now occurring more frequently. I have no joy from forx or the dealer. I asked ford if they monitor the forums like ford usa. They told me no and they are not interested unless a dealer lodges a probem with the engineers.
It feels like they just try and brush you off. Sick of this i am going to blow my cool with them or fhe dealer very soon
Old 17-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #14
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburrast
I have now done3300ks and no change in the shudder and rattle when making left turn and accelerating out of corner. The rattle is now occurring more frequently. I have no joy from forx or the dealer. I asked ford if they monitor the forums like ford usa. They told me no and they are not interested unless a dealer lodges a probem with the engineers.
It feels like they just try and brush you off. Sick of this i am going to blow my cool with them or fhe dealer very soon
It should be the dealers responsibility first to take action, don't let them just brush you off and make you follow it all up yourself, it's a brand new car and is clearly within warranty so have a go at them, insist on seeing the dealer manager if you have to and tell them how the service dept has just told you to go away.
Old 18-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think i would be trying another dealer, if i may ask is your dealer a country dealer?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 06:21 AM   #16
F6 Aimz

Seems hit and miss with these cars, from the link above some had the shudder from day one and had it reduced over time with more driving, others haven't had it at all.
F6 Aimz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #17
dburrast
Starter Motor

no my dealer is torque ford in brisbane.
Old 18-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dburrast, i`m not poo pooing them, but all dealers and in particular service departments or auto repairers for that matter are not equal unfortunately,
i`m a big fan of older dealer ship's with the runs on the board, with some older experienced mechanics,
i know depending where you live you don`t always have that choice, for example bayfords in Melb been around since 1917, if i had the $$$$ to buy a newey it would come from them, needed servicing they would do it if i could not.
anyway i hope your car is fixed soon,
cheers mik.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
Pete A
Boss 260

When we first test drove the Titanium we noticed this hesitation when taking off. We commented to the dealer that this was a concern. They said this is quite common and they get better as they bed in. The car we drove had about 50Km's on the clock. They suggested we come back the next day and drive one that had done over 700K's I didn't do it but the wife did and she said the difference was remarkable. We bought the Titanium and when we picked it up, it had a similar problem (not as bad) after 3 weeks we drove it to Qld and back and now thew car is perfect. No evidence of this problem at all. Don't know what this means other than to say the problem should go after a while I guess.
Pete A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post