Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 21-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
DashXR6T
Dash FG XR6T

Default Looking to buy a Fiesta (2010-2011)

Hey guys, im looking to help my younger sister purchase a Fiesta (2010 or 2011, Hatchback and auto)

Just wanted to ask a couple of questions first,

Are they worth buying in terms of reliability? I heard they were built in Thailand nowadays? Is that a concern in terms of build quality? Any problems to look out for?

Is it worth buying new or getting a good quality 2nd hand?

It will most likely be the base model, what's the difference between that and the Zetec anyway?

Hopefully that's enough questions for now, il appreciate any feedback.

Cheers guys!

The New: FG XR6 Turbo in Dash:Sunroof, Custom Exhaust with Quad 3.5" Tips, Xr8 Bonnet, 20"GT Rims, Lowered on SSSL & SSL King Springs. Growler Intake, 30% Tint, Viper 2 Way Alarm, Philips Diamond Vision 5000K Headlights&Foggies

The Old AU Series III Fairmont Ghia, Sunroof, Leather, Prem Sound, Lowered On SSSL+SSL King Springs,Tint,19" BF Super Pursuit Rims, 6000K HID's, 2.5 Inch Exhaust+Twin Tips. Fairlane Chrome Mirrors.
System:Alpine Dvd Player, 2x12" Alpine TyreR Subs, Pioneer Mono Amp.
DashXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Looking to buy a Fiesta (2010-2011)

She'll probably want the newer WT (released Oct 2010) model if she's after an auto. It's a 1.6 6 speed with 89kw, as opposed to the 1.4 4 speed with 71kw of the WS model (ended production late 2010).

If the 1.4 auto isn't too gutless for her, then the Zetec for the WS is available comparatively cheap, and it's supposed to have a slightly better finish, particularly with dash/interior materials.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definitely a WT 6speed if she has to have the AUTO.

There is actually a fair bit of difference between a base and zetec model on the exterior and interiors. But the mechanicals are the same.

They seem in general to be a reliable little car. Some have had problems with pinging but in general most seem good mechanically apart from that.

The WS will be cheaper of course but the auto is only a 4 speed and gutless.
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Suggest you read the "My issues with City Ford" thread on here. Personally I've had $10K worth of rust cut out of my (then) brand new WS. Be very aware of Ford's after sales service and the fact that they often need to be dragged through Fair Trading (as in my case) to honour any warranty issues. I've also just replaced my brake disc rotors at 40,000km, and this is quite common too. People have also had serious pinging issues that 98 RON doesn't always fix.

That said, 95% of Fiestas are fine: most people won't have a problem, just be aware you're on your own if you strike a problem.

If you're buying an auto, go the WT as you get the 88kW engine as well as a 6 speed auto. If you're buying a manual, go the WS (a low kay example) as the build quality, fit and finish (as well as soft dash, steering wheel adjustment etc) is worth it over the cheaper feeling WT.

That said, consider the new Kia Rio - 103kW direct injection plus loads of kit..... might be worth a look.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Racked up over 50,000kms on my WS series and I have not had a problem at all with reliability, gone through a set of front discs & pads (they wear pretty quickly with lots of city driving) and a set of tyres but that's all ...
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
Fez WQ

Mate buy one!!, have owned three of them so far WP and WQ and currently a WT LX done 37000km not a problem to report, I drive it hard and had no probs. The A/C is not the best but works good enough for a small car.

Go and get one you will not find a better car
Fez WQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
Caydus

Every car maker does have it's problems. As this is a forum, there will be more people with grips per forum member than the general buyer base. This is a european car, designed by ford of europe. Mazda may have had a hand in it's design, but it's still a euro car, with all associated reliability baggage.

The WT made in Thailand doesn't feel that much different from the WS made in Germany. The big difference is the soft touch dash, telescopic steering adjustment and the carpeted rear seats. But the WT does have better air conditioning than the WS by miles.

In this price bracket and size, you can't go past the Toyota Yaris and Jazz. There's the legendary japanese reliability and practicality. The Jazz is a bit more pricy, but it does have much better room in the back for passengers and amazing bootspace with chairs folded down flat. Problem is, their engine is gutless and the drivetrain/handling, uninspiring. They're purely white goods cars. They will definately take u from A to B with everything u need in tow whilst keeping it frugal on the petrol, but you won't have fun in the process.

The Fiesta has 2 things going for it on the road, the DSG and the electronic power steering. Some people hate it, some people love it. Both very different from the Torque Converter autos and Hydraulic power steerings of all it's competitors (maybe not the Polo). That combo is what made me buy the Fiesta over a Yaris or Jazz. If you look at the specs, the Fiesta won't jump out at you, it's only when you drive it that you can make an informed decision.
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez WQ
Mate buy one!!, have owned three of them so far WP and WQ and currently a WT LX done 37000km not a problem to report, I drive it hard and had no probs. The A/C is not the best but works good enough for a small car.

Go and get one you will not find a better car
Maybe the Polo but it will cost more to service and for the price the fiesta has more power.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
DashXR6T
Dash FG XR6T

Thanks for all your replies guys appreciate it, taking all the positives and negatives on board.

Just a couple more questions

How are they on petrol (city driving)?

When buying new or even late model second hand, what does warranty from the dealer cover?
The New: FG XR6 Turbo in Dash:Sunroof, Custom Exhaust with Quad 3.5" Tips, Xr8 Bonnet, 20"GT Rims, Lowered on SSSL & SSL King Springs. Growler Intake, 30% Tint, Viper 2 Way Alarm, Philips Diamond Vision 5000K Headlights&Foggies

The Old AU Series III Fairmont Ghia, Sunroof, Leather, Prem Sound, Lowered On SSSL+SSL King Springs,Tint,19" BF Super Pursuit Rims, 6000K HID's, 2.5 Inch Exhaust+Twin Tips. Fairlane Chrome Mirrors.
System:Alpine Dvd Player, 2x12" Alpine TyreR Subs, Pioneer Mono Amp.
DashXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

I get 5.5 - 6L per 100Kms, urban and highway driving.

Your warranty is not with the dealer. It is with Ford Australia. Ford Australia decides if (and how much) they will pay a dealer to fix warranty issues. This is but one reason why so many people have had issues with getting problems fixed under warranty.

Technically, your warranty doesn't cover 'normal wear and tear' - therefore brake discs, pads, tyres, interior rattles, interior trim deteriorating and even paintwork can be an issue.

I called 13 FORD to inform them of my displeasure of having to replace my brake discs with just 40,000kms on the clock - was informed that this was normal and no costs would be met: not that I was expecting anything different. As a comparison I replaced the original discs on a 97 Mirage when it reached 150,000kms.

Fortunately, I put rda discs and Bendix pads on (still at less than half the cost that Ford was going to charge to put their OEM crap back on) and the difference in braking performance is remarkable. I would go so far as to recommend anyone who has a WS/WT Fiesta even with only 5 or 20K kms on the dial to do it - it's worth it and these will last 80-100,000kms too. I do realise that it affects my warranty with Ford regarding the car's brakes, however, after my experience with Ford, their warranties are worth less than zero - so no loss.

TOP-GHIA: as a side note, I would also recommend venturing in to the Focus section and reading the "Focus Lemon Help" thread so you can further realise the wonders of Ford's after sale 'service' and draw your own informed conclusions.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post