Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 03-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Omarko

Default Centre console upgrade in Fiesta WS to colour screen w/ GPS etc?

hey guys

just came across this :

http://www.tradesolution.hk/e/ptxweb...oduct/364.html

its basicaly a replacement for the top part of the centre console with a new screen and comes with a fully built in GPS, TV tuner and many many other cool things.

anyone tried this before? How easy would it be to install ?

thoughts anyone?

Omarko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
Caydus

Default Re: Centre console upgrade in Fiesta WS to colour screen w/ GPS etc?

There are several threads lately about this sort of thing. Mainly pretty negative.
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 01:01 AM   #3
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep just have a look by searching for older threads in here
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 01:24 AM   #4
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Don't go throwing your money on these, get a decent one from somewhere like Jb Hi Fi. Everything will be just rubbish with it and it probably will die in a year or 2 and present many problems not only that the maps wouldn't be updatable and probably aren't up to date.

You may not be able to use your steering wheel controls with them and you will need a fascia kit as well. but that would be the case with any head unit.

Sorry to be negative.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
Moorie

It would be Ok if you could just buy the 'hood' and mount a Navman or Tom Tom in it. Nissan and Suzuki in the US do it for a couple of models, in partnership with Garmin and the unit is very tidy and has a factory look. The GPS is fully powered and the lid even closes to keep the unit away from prying eyes.
Moorie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Omarko

I bought the unit $399 plus post and here is the result :

ok, here we go guys, just finished the install. VERY easy to do, would take approx 1.5hrs. the biggest challenge was fitting all the cables in.

Here is finished result:

link to more photos -LINK CLICK HERE

link to a video in action - LINK CLICK HERE

Pretty happy with it so far.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omarko
I bought the unit $399 plus post and here is the result :

ok, here we go guys, just finished the install. VERY easy to do, would take approx 1.5hrs. the biggest challenge was fitting all the cables in.

Here is finished result:

link to more photos -LINK CLICK HERE

link to a video in action - LINK CLICK HERE

Pretty happy with it so far.
Sweet, does yours have the DVB-T tuner? Also looking at the video it looks a bit slow to respond.

Will this fit in a CL model?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
Omarko

yeah its bit slow to respond but its not that bad actually. No Digital TV tuner, just could not justify the extra $50 as I cant imagine watching TV in the car.

not sure about CL, best is to ask them (Sundaybuy), they respond very quickly.

btw I will be hooking up a reverse camera to it too, it has 4 video inputs!
Old 10-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
Caydus

Yikes, that is pretty slow to respond, other than that, it looks damn good. No bodge factor at all. Very professional looking install.

How hard was it to hook up? Do the steering wheel controls and Aux/USB jack still work? That plus all the buttons?
Also, Is there any way you can change the other menu options other than stuff for the head unit? Like lighting controls or indicator flashes?
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
Omarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caydus
Yikes, that is pretty slow to respond, other than that, it looks damn good. No bodge factor at all. Very professional looking install.

How hard was it to hook up? Do the steering wheel controls and Aux/USB jack still work? That plus all the buttons?
Also, Is there any way you can change the other menu options other than stuff for the head unit? Like lighting controls or indicator flashes?
its not that slow but its not as fast as the stock setup in terms of responsiveness. Still, pretty good for $400.

Very easy to setup, took me 1.5hrs all up, hardest bit was to fit in all the cables.

Steering wheel controls dont work , I did not know what, bit of a downside. it has its own USB and iPod connector, Aux works perfectly fine.

It also has pretty cool feature where it shows and says which door is open ! I was surprised by that.

Have not worked out how to change settings to make things look different but would be good to know that. the equalizer thingie when radio is playing is annoying. Also I would not mind changing some colors. Considering the unit is a full blow little computer running Windows CE, I dont see why it would not be possible.

Oh, and what the video does not show is when you turn on your car, a BIG FORD logo comes up on the screen, very cool
Old 11-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #11
Omarko

oh and I forgot to mention that when you reverse the unit automatically redirects to the rear camera video input so the screen is black and muted. If anyone can recommend a small camera that I can install with this (standard RCA connector) that would be awesome. They should be easy to install right?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
Omarko

nvm, found one that will fit perfectly in the license plate light - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260819479...84.m1439.l2649
Old 19-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #13
Omarko

quick update for all ... missuz wants her old boring screen back !

if anyone is interested in buying this from me, let me know. I am going to let it go for $300 so thats a 40% saving.

I'll also throw in the reverse camera which I am yet to receive from HK.

Have the original box , all accesories and packaging so u'll get it as new. Happy to post it or it can be picked up from 2153 NSW.

Send me a msg if u r interested.