Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 19-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Its been a while....

Hi all,

Been a while since i have been on here, been very busy with work etc etc.... Fiesta has been pretty busy too...

Its now up to 127500 Km's (bought it with 96K on the clock)....

Expenses have been, servicing (front brakes replaced), water pump (OUCH!) and 4 tyres.

Still happy with it, currently do roughly 90kms a day in half heavy peak hour traffic and other half on most of the time 80km roads.

Current Issues.... Since driving to work in heavy traffic a bad clutch shudder has started. Been manageable until the other night when it started doing it constantly when starting off.... I've brought it down to my terrible driving (i try my best!!) and getting to hot in traffic.

Otherwise car is still neat and tidy (probably needs some loving though), starts, stops and goes, and can still bring a smile to my face when the time is right!

Picture of when its clean!

fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Its been a while....

Good to hear you're (for the most part) still loving the Fiesta fella. Still in love with mine, until I get my new Focus ;-)
Old 19-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks, yeh still loving it.... sometimes it can be a love hate relationship though lol.

new focus, now they are a good looking thing... provided they are in the right colour! not that horrible yellowy, gold colour
Old 19-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

yep WP's had the water pump issues unfortunately - how much was it to replace? i lost the best part of $1000 on my EL so it can't be too bad lol
Professor Farnsworth is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ouch $1000! mine was $700 including getting the timing belt done, while they were in there!

well slight update, car is of the road.... clutch finished itself off yesterday.... not impressed....

has anyone experience what the cost of this is roughly??? due to driving in alot of heavy traffic, stop start etc.... is it worth going for a clutch that is more heavy duty? especially as there are no plans to sell anytime soon?
Old 21-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

not sure on the cost but the WP Zetec we had brand new in '06 stuffed its clutch within 5000KM.
Professor Farnsworth is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 12:24 AM   #7
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I managed the break the little lever that holds the master cylinder to the pedal, which in Europe was recalled. Ford Australia told me there was no need to recall it, bastards incorporated (yet I'm buying another one, so who's the fool). The master cylinder cost me about $200 fitted. As for the rest, not sure mate. The slave element of the clutch is supposedly the expensive part, and more concealed so harder to get to and replace / repair (well that's what Ford told me).

Good luck though, and let us know how you go :-)
Old 22-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

right ok... hopefully not going to be too expensive... ringing around today to get quotes see if we can get it booked in.

Symptoms the car is having; More than a quarter throttle, from second gear onwards it will just slip... if i just had a short trip with minimal gear changes i could probably still drive it (just), but theres no way it would make it to work with the distance and traffic i go through. thankfully work is going to lend me a car until its all sorted.

i suspect this was probably coming, previous owner of the car im pretty sure did alot of traveling in heavy traffic, stop start, etc. so as i now do same sort of stuff, + when i first got the car, i also had just gotten my license, so it was a very exciting time.... probably wasnt as nice to it as i should have been....

but anyway, will keep you all posted.
Old 24-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #9
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Update:

Well car has been to the mechanic, $1200 later it has a new clutch and gearbox oil. Feels extremely different, clutch alot lighter, and much more accurate, friction point alot lower to the floor as well. going to take some getting used to i think.

very light wallet now, but hopefully will now be a car that requires minimal maintenance! Mechanic gave us the old clutch to show why it went... pretty interesting, will probably have a closer look on the weekend.
Old 24-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #10
Caydus

Nice to hear it went OK mate. Any chance we could get a few pics of the messed up gearbox?
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 11:57 PM   #11
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh will do, try get some on the weekend.... Never really had a close look at a clutch before, its pretty interesting... would have liked to have a seen one brand new and compare.

One part of the clutch had worn right down to basically nothing. another part of it had effectively warped, which i suspect is what was causing the shuddering...

shall try get some more pictures and info by the weekend... for now i just have to return the work car and get used to the all new and improved Fiesta i now have !
Old 29-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

back again..

unfortunately havent been able to get those photos. was out all weekend and now the parts have been chucked.

however new clutch is going well... very different so i dont think i am being a sympathetic to it as i would like. struggling to get used to it too be honest.

the gearbox oil was also changed which has created two issues. when cold, first can be very difficult to engage. And reverse which is a common fiesta problem, is better as now when going from another gear to reverse quickly, it doesnt grind as much. the trade off is, if the car has been stationary, than i engage the clutch and grab reverse (slowly and carefully as usual) it grinds the absolute S*** out of it... and its not something i seem to be able to get around. holding the clutch in for about 30 seconds before engaging makes it better, but no good. might get better with time...

I am however going to use this thread to hit you guy up about the car stereo.... which i have to say, in it 7 year old, stock form, is brilliant. good clarity and bass. great. but ofcourse, being a human, i am wanting a bit more.... my thoughts are adding two 6x9's, a small sub (to minimise space intrusion) and obviously an amp to power these additions.... Would this set up work? stock speakers would stay hooked up to headunit (which is unchanged) then i would just add these new editions... very early stages so just after suggestions and opinions basically.

thanks!!
Old 30-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #13
paulo7

Hi fiestaz,
don't know if you know, but on most gearboxes if you put it into second and then put it into reverse it may not grind. I don't fully understand gearboxes but it has something to do with second and reverse being linked in some way - maybe someone with more knowledge can explain?
Or, is there is adjustment on that model? (I never owned one of those)
My old falcon had a screw adjustment at the firewall and an old mazda had adjustment at the end of the cable near the clutch actuator.
Either that or your syncros in the gearbox could be, unfortunately, worn out...

Just a couple of thoughts
cheers
paulo7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #14
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah doesnt work by going into any gear first then reverse... however i do think its starting to get better... i suspect the new oil, being all thick or something.... will see with time... gearbox should have an issue. it was perfect before...
Old 31-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
small_ford
Starter Motor

Check with the mechanic what oil he used for the gearbox - the iB5 gearbox in the Fiesta should be filled with a synthetic 75w-90 oil, not the more usual mineral 80w-90 oil. The synthetic is more expensive, but not as expensive as a gearbox repair!
small_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #16
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he definitely used synthetic. it seems to be getting better...as it heats up it gets better.... just when its cold.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:10 AM   #17
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz
Nah doesnt work by going into any gear first then reverse...
Strange how it doesn't sort it by going to another gear before reverse. My Mk7 requires me to go to 4th or another gear sometimes.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #18
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhcbm
Strange how it doesn't sort it by going to another gear before reverse. My Mk7 requires me to go to 4th or another gear sometimes.
i guess you could call it fiesta character!

i have to say it is getting better each day... very weird