Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Should gay marriage be legal in Australia?
Yes 50 53.76%
No 43 46.24%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 24-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #211
BFZF8

Default Re: Gay Marriage in Australia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEYBA
This is where I think if the law is to be changed it should not be changed by politicians but by the people through a vote. I think a referendum (correct me if i'm wrong) That way the different groups can not lobby a single person who is making a decision for the people of their electorate.
I would tend to agree with you that a referendum is probably the way to go (if the results are properly dealt with). I can think of a referendum or two that went nowhere because the government of the day didn't like the result.
Old 24-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #212
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT

As you may have guessed, I have done a lot of research for university study on a very similar topic. In that study I came across a number of studies that rated people on a scale called the Kinsey scale. The scale is made up of 7 increments ranging from completely heterosexual (0) through bisexual (3-4) and on to homosexual (6), through a process of honest self assessment. It was found in a number of studies that the percentage of respondents that rated themselves as 0 (completely heterosexual) was only about 37%.
Interesting, never heard of this before. Does environment play a part in people moving up and down the scale?
Old 24-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #213
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmattie
So we concede - we agree on one point at least.

Pretty sure the article wasn't talking about religion.. Yes, it was written by Christian authors - but the discussion in the arcile was ethical, not religious.
The article talks a lot of nonsense hidden behind some vague realities to attempt to give it credence. Children do result from SOME marriages, most in fact, however many children result from no marriage and as has been pointed out, many couples choose not to have kids yet marry just the same, and some are unfortunate in that they cant have kids yet also marry. Marriage and kids dont go any more hand in hand than marriage and home ownership does.

The fact people can divorce suggests that the two parent thing is hocus, and defacto couples can still claim against the assets of the relationship therefore any entitlement kids might have as a result of their birth is taken care of outside of marriage laws. Not to mention we have laws regarding child support and custody arrangements which all fall outside Marriage law. The role children play in the laws regarding marriage are limited, if anything at all.

It is an attempt of people with an agenda to shift their losing argument to a new one charged with emotion ...again.
Old 24-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #214
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

My personal view. I don't care if your black white green or orange. I don't care if you wanna marry a male a female or a horse.

If that's what you wanna do, all the power to you.

All I ask is you don't constanty flaunt your choice infront me. I don't care if your a man with a woman, a man with a man, or a woman with a donkey.

I want to be able to walk to my local shops and not have couples of any genders parading themselves. Their is a time and a place, shove your tongue down each others throats at home.
- 2006 Ford Territory Turbo; Silhoutte, Leather, Plazmaman CAI.
Old 24-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #215
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Guys - Up until now the debate has been kept "relatively" focused on the subject. Keeping personal insults / attacks out of it.
I would like to publicly commend GeckoGT on stepping up to the plate, and cautiously monitoring this discussion. It most definitely had the potential to go south VERY quickly, and if not for his intervention on numerous occasions would have run off the rails well and truely before now.
Given the controversial nature of this thread(and many others like it), taking into account the amount of legwork that is required to prevent them from exploding into insanity, along with the relevance that it truely has to the Australian Ford community. I am sure that many of you can now understand why threads such as this are continually removed / closed.
I think that it is time to move on(perhaps even back to talking about FORD's, or other auto related topics even).
From reading this thread there is not a lot of new ground being covered, that wasn't already discussed in the first 200 odd posts...
Old 24-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #216
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

It's an interesting topic but unfortunately (like most of a sensitive nature) the lunatic fringe has ensured that it gets closed.

Regards
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Closed Thread