Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Default 6am wake up call - FIRE!

Just trying to this out, work it out in my head a bit more.

So I wake up to screaming and bashing at the front door, neighbours house is on fire, smoke bellowing out.

I called the brigade while another two neighbours tried to put it out and then go in myself. only to find the other neighbours throwing buckets of water in the front of the lounge room near the fire place, the flames were up to the ceiling initially, its died down somewhat and water seems to work but its spreading out lower. Automatically I think, accelerant... So I rip the blankets off her lounges. POOF Fire out!
So a few more buckets of water later to put cool off the blankets and we're out, coughing our guts out. Brigade arrives about 15mins later, no suprise being that we rely on the RFS volunteers, who do great work BTW.

Our ditzy neighbour decided to try to relight her fire place with a tin of petrol while also holding a smoke in her hand... She finished the smoke before alerting anyone and also confined her "dangerous" dogs in the bedroom.

Only took her less than 12months after moving in to nearly burn the place down, even the wood man who drops off our fire wood even said to us last season that he didn't like the idea of her and fire, and he only met her once. And then there's adopting the 4 dogs which annoy the hell out of all of us. She's just one of those people you meet or know that you know they shouldn't be left alone.

I think I'm just in a bit of disbelief right now... Sheesh

AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Default Re: 6am wake up call - FIRE!

Lucky no one was injured. Its a credit to you to go into a burning house to help.

I understand the feeling about fires. about 10 years ago I got a phone call that my house was on fire. I was 4 hours away. It turned out that it was only a smoke alarm going of its nut so the neighbour called the firies. They forced there way in and checked it all out. I had some damage to the door but insurance sorted that.

Yep, its scary stuff & no doubt will play on your mind for a bit.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rewarding wasnt it?

Made you feel great to be alive?

why not joine the the RFS? it's a great service and it takes all types, from what you said the RFS is the primary agency for fire protection in the area, so that would mean they do every thing from bush, grass and scrubb fires, to structure fires, motor vehicle fires, then on to fire support for the SES/VRA at MVA's and all maner of other stuff

depending on the area your in some brigades only get a dozen calls a year right up to some that do a few hundred. I urge you to visit http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/dsp_content.cfm?cat_id=1004

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
Rewarding wasnt it?

Made you feel great to be alive?
Ken Oath and Yes

This was actually the third locally, I'm fairly sure this winter, the other two not so fortunate. One a few kms down the road lost half the house, roof caved in and all.

My neighbor is just lucky it wasn't worse and that she can still live in the house. They cleared it as being safe.
Lucky that we'd just recently done fire safety and OH&S training at work too, And to think some of my colleagues thought it was a bunch of crap that we'd never use... lol

The RFS made it in good time too, I had the thought in my mind that if we didn't stop it, then the place would be lost for sure. Two trucks within 20mins and then three fire service 4WD's showed up too. I think it was just combination of good timing, another hour and majority of us and the RFS volunteers probably would have been off to work. May have been a different story... But even if it was left unattended for that amount of time, would have been a loss.

Just goes to show, fire safety is more important than you think!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxm
I understand the feeling about fires. about 10 years ago I got a phone call that my house was on fire. I was 4 hours away. It turned out that it was only a smoke alarm going of its nut so the neighbour called the firies. They forced there way in and checked it all out. I had some damage to the door but insurance sorted that.
I got the same call 2 weeks ago.... House is for sale and vacant, get a call from the agent saying one of the neighbours has called saying the fire alarm is going off... I wasn't local at the time so I asked the agent to send someone to investigate.

I also called the neighbour in front of me as a backup. He went to the house on his cordless and said he can't hear or smell anything. Got a call from the agent 20 min later after going inside saying the same thing.

Next time I went there, one of the alarms was beeping its 'low battery' warning. 1 single beep every 10 minutes.........

You would think they would 'sorta' know the difference????

When I move again I'm looking at an area that is quite scrubby / bushy... will def be joining the local SES.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I had a similar experience only a month or so ago. Different outcome though.

It was about 8.30 one night and we get a knock on the door. It was the neighbour asking us to call the fire brigade because the house next to him was on fire. He had come over when he noticed smoke. When I got out the which would have been under 5min the whole place was on fire. We got as many hoses as we could to keep it back from my neighbours place while we waited for the brigade (again volunteer rfs) which took 20min to arrive but did a great job when they got there. Within an hour the fire was out and the house was burnt to the ground.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was actualy at the other 2 and the one that Happend during the day on a Saturday was A bloody lucky and B fortunate that every one did a great job before the trucks got there, that one could very easily been a total loss but as it stands they only lost around 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
Ken Oath and Yes

This was actually the third locally, I'm fairly sure this winter, the other two not so fortunate. One a few kms down the road lost half the house, roof caved in and all.

My neighbor is just lucky it wasn't worse and that she can still live in the house. They cleared it as being safe.
Lucky that we'd just recently done fire safety and OH&S training at work too, And to think some of my colleagues thought it was a bunch of crap that we'd never use... lol

The RFS made it in good time too, I had the thought in my mind that if we didn't stop it, then the place would be lost for sure. Two trucks within 20mins and then three fire service 4WD's showed up too. I think it was just combination of good timing, another hour and majority of us and the RFS volunteers probably would have been off to work. May have been a different story... But even if it was left unattended for that amount of time, would have been a loss.

Just goes to show, fire safety is more important than you think!

Old 19-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a house fire Satruday morning

obviosly I cant give address details but this one appears to have been casued but an open fire, (you know the ones every one used to havebig copper arch where the nice big log sits in front of you an looks good)

well this one appears to have been left alone and that no screen had been placed arround it, POP spark out on to the carpet or near by furnature, smolders for a bit then next thing you know the room is fully involved

Peoples be careful with fires in the home

Ive got a slow combustion stove I love it, but we need to respect fire

trust me none of the guys at my station are as good looking as the ones in the movies you dont want us visiting you in the middle of the night

Old 19-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #9
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Had a house fire Satruday morning

obviosly I cant give address details but this one appears to have been casued but an open fire, (you know the ones every one used to havebig copper arch where the nice big log sits in front of you an looks good)

well this one appears to have been left alone and that no screen had been placed arround it, POP spark out on to the carpet or near by furnature, smolders for a bit then next thing you know the room is fully involved

Peoples be careful with fires in the home

Ive got a slow combustion stove I love it, but we need to respect fire

trust me none of the guys at my station are as good looking as the ones in the movies you dont want us visiting you in the middle of the night
And it's you guys and the ambos that deserve regular rises in your pay packets for the work you have to do, and in the conditions in having to do it.
I don't even want to think about some of the remains you would have to see in your form of employment.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
And it's you guys and the ambos that deserve regular rises in your pay packets for the work you have to do, and in the conditions in having to do it.
I don't even want to think about some of the remains you would have to see in your form of employment.
I'm a retained fire fighter so its my second job, we get paid a fortnightly retainer and per hour for incedent calls so the rate of pay really isnt an issue, after all I was a a volo with the RFS for 22 years and if I hadnt gotten the Job with NSW Fire and Rescue I would still be happily doing that.

so when people say the Police, Fire and Ambo's being heros, I think people need to look behind the seens to the men and women of the RFS, SES, VRA etc the guys that do this for no monatory gain, the men and women who fund raise on weekends so their station can better support the comunity.

I accept that Police, Fire and Ambo's do a great job and every one would like more money, but I would first like to see the volo guys and girls get tax incentives, even if the hours they put in get recognised as an hourly rate and issued to them as an increase in their tax free thresh hold. it wouldnt be dificult to do, all incedents are loged and all attendances are on the incedent report along as time of call and a dismissed time.

Old 21-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so when people say the Police, Fire and Ambo's being heros, I think people need to look behind the seens to the men and women of the RFS, SES, VRA etc the guys that do this for no monatory gain.
You make it sound like the professionals are in it for the money

Nothing could be further from the truth in reality
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post