Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
FordFan1

Default Advice on selling vehicle

Ok I just sold a my car and the buyer is coming down from interstate with a bank cheque on the Sunday to pick the car up. Now obviously I don't want to see my $30k car drive off without knowing funds are good, what should I do? The person has a very important job from what I can tell and cannot get away until the weekend. Should I insist that funds be placed in my account before pickup of vehicle?? I know as a buyer I would be wary of this. Any ideas?

FordFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 
Default Re: Advice on selling vehicle

apparantly bank cheques can be denied when you go to cash them in, be careful.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
Kryton

Until the money is in your account and cleared, you shouldnt let the car go anywhere.
Bank cheques can be forged, has been done before, will be done again.
Do you even know what a legitimate bank cheque looks like?
Id either be asking for the money to be transferred into your account BEFORE he arrives or he's going to have to hang around till Monday when the banks open and the cheque is cashed (with him present).

If you let that car go before the cash is cleared in your account - your asking for trouble.
Dont buy into any of the sob stories, the "i have to go now" or whatever reason he may come up with.

Its your car, your selling on YOUR terms.
If he doesnt like it and wants to walk away - let him.
Would you rather lose a sale or lose your car?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To get the Bank Cheque , your purchaser has to (obviously) go into a Bank Branch . Surely he can get a branch supervisors name & phone number -and pass them onto you for confirmation that the cheque has been issued legitimately.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

As already been mentioned.....

DO NOT release the car till you have cleared funds. A cheque isn't money, it's a promise of money.

I have sold a few cars and made this clear in the add. The car sits where it's parked with the keys in my possession till money clears. If they want the car that day, cash is king.

Ask them for a transfer prior, or cash on the day. Simple as that. No compromises and no excuses.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
To get the Bank Cheque , your purchaser has to (obviously) go into a Bank Branch . Surely he can get a branch supervisors name & phone number -and pass them onto you for confirmation that the cheque has been issued legitimately.
Peter, when it matters, I always look up the phone number. If you ring the phone number given you never know who you are really calling.

For 30k on a piece of paper, I wouldn't be relying on a person on the other end of the telephone either.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #7
FordFan1

Thanks for the advice guys, I will not let the car go unless money is in my account. I haven't felt right about selling the car on a Sunday with just a cheque in my hand. So there is no way I will accept it. He will have to transfer it earlier.
Old 24-05-2011, 12:15 AM   #8
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan1
Thanks for the advice guys, I will not let the car go unless money is in my account. I haven't felt right about selling the car on a Sunday with just a cheque in my hand. So there is no way I will accept it. He will have to transfer it earlier.

Anything to do with the word "Cheque" treat it like a rubber ball against a wall. They can bounce.

Cash in hand before keys in hand. So smart move on your behalf.

IMA. If someone else walks up to you with the cash, take it. Otherwise, you could be waiting years for this "interstate" buyer to turn up.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 12:20 AM   #9
FordFan1

Im starting to think that as well as I have already knocked back a few other interested buyers. The car needs to go quickly as I've just put a deposit on a nice XB Fairmont!!
Old 24-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #10
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

If you buy a new car from a dealer and give them a bank cheque, they will not hand over the keys until bank cheque is cleared (usually 3 working days)
Treat your transaction the same!
Nowadays, with ease of internet transfers, he'd be crazy not to simply direct debit. (last car I bought, I transferred funds via iphone at the dealership) Really, bank cheques are a thing of the past... And it saves on the $15 bank cheque fee!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have given a bank cheque over to dealer and got the car right away.

While we all go on about how easy it is to make a fake cheque, how do YOU as the seller reassure the buyer that the details you gave him are real and that you actually have a car for sale if you insist on a bank transfer?

You just said he is coming from interstate so i would assume he hasnt sighted the car?

I would almost kiss your sale goodbye if you insist on the bank transfer before he gets there, particularly if he is coming from interstate.

If he baulks at a direct deposit of the full amount ask for a minimum of 10% as a bank transfer and then when he comes to get car, you go to bank with him first to hand over cheque and ask your bank to call his bank to make sure there are funds available (if they will do it).
Or he can do the bank transfer while he is there.
Give him a lift to the bank he goes to if there is a branch locally.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
peaterj
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
If you buy a new car from a dealer and give them a bank cheque, they will not hand over the keys until bank cheque is cleared (usually 3 working days)
Treat your transaction the same!
Nowadays, with ease of internet transfers, he'd be crazy not to simply direct debit. (last car I bought, I transferred funds via iphone at the dealership) Really, bank cheques are a thing of the past... And it saves on the $15 bank cheque fee!

When i bought my gs recently i had the car for 3 days before i went in and paid for it with a bank cheque.

In the OP's case i would be wary of the whole deal, have read some horror stories of late of people getting scammed out of their car.

Guys taking the car for a test drive and swap drivers with the supposed buyer who drives off with the owner half in the car.

Guy late last year in SA having his Clubsport bought with counterfeit money.
peaterj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post