Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 10-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

Question Smoke when heater used

My partners 2009 LS Focus sedan gave her problems the other day after an hour driving through rain with aircon on demist and heater on midway suddenly white smoke/fog began pouring from the air vents and quickly filled the cabin. She tried every setting but still got smoke from the vents so had to drive with the system off and window down to get to work. Travelling home no great problem but we just tested it and if the heater is used then there is a burning smell comes from the vents, the greater the heater and fan setting the stronger the smell. Didn't see actual smoke but sure smelled it.

Can something get caught on the heater element in these? I assume it's an electric heater and the smell is only there when the heater is used.

Any help appreciated, it will be a few days before she can get to a dealer.

Cheers,
Karl

Old 10-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Smoke when heater used

I had thought the heater was water heated from the motor so the electric burning is most likely the fan motor or one of the related relays for the airconditioning. Strongly suggest you need auto elecrican to look at it as could catch fire.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

This other site might explain it: http://repairpal.com/when-turning-on...-the-vents-413
sounds like a coolant leak.
Old 13-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

So 2 days later driving along and cabin fills with steam again even though all vents closed, check engine light comes on. Towed to dealer, has split heater element and that and all carpets have to be replaced under warranty since they can't get the coolant out of it.
Old 16-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar
So 2 days later driving along and cabin fills with steam again even though all vents closed, check engine light comes on. Towed to dealer, has split heater element and that and all carpets have to be replaced under warranty since they can't get the coolant out of it.

OK easy fixed, jack up your car and find the Air-conditioning drain pipe, get a piece of coat hanger and shove it up the pipe to loosen and crap in there. Once the Air-conditioning has been on, it will cause water buildup which is supposed to drain off, if the drain pipe is blocked the water will build up and cause steam when it gets to the heater core. I had the same problem with a Commodore I had some years ago.

Dustproof