Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Best route to the Nurburgring from Rome?

I am going to be visiting Rome during a break from a work trip in June. I have decided that I want to spend two weeks making my way from Rome to London via the Nurburgring racetrack (to cut a few frantic laps!!)

I have always wanted to drive across the Alps from Italy, through Austria and then into Germany along what some would call the 'Romantic Road' visiting castles and historical monuments etc. From Frankfurt, I will be catching the train through Paris and then London. So my driving component will only need cover Rome to Frankfurt.

What I am stuck with, is knowing what the best route for an enthusiast driver to take over the Alps and into Germany would be!

All things considered, it will be summer, I will be driving a Renault Megane RS, and I want nothing more than to do one of the best drives that Europe has to offer. A mix of Autostradas, Alpine routes and Autobahns would be awesome.

Has anyone done anything similar previously and can help shed some light on the best way to organise such a trip?

Cheers.

calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Wouldn't be surprised if they've covered such a route on a Top Gear episode
Try searching around in that area of research?
Old 17-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

I'd probably definately check out whether any insurance would be valid on the 'ring first....

Was looking though a UK forum after a link to it was posted here about something and it was mentioned as a problem...
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

I drove 22,000km around Europe last year on a Van Tour and spent a week travelling down the Romantic Road. Its rather special, more so in places than others where it actually turns to general dual carriage way but the good parts are amazing.

The drive through Switzerland from Italy is nothing short of amazing also, aswell as the Austrian alps. The GrossGlocker pass is something you must do, climbs to 2752 feet from memory and is spectacular, just don't do it in a 99 transit, couldn't get out of first gear its that steep.

Ill have a look tomorrow at my map and give you some nice bits to drive through and hopefully some pictures
Old 19-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi-Pop
I drove 22,000km around Europe last year on a Van Tour and spent a week travelling down the Romantic Road. Its rather special, more so in places than others where it actually turns to general dual carriage way but the good parts are amazing.

The drive through Switzerland from Italy is nothing short of amazing also, aswell as the Austrian alps. The GrossGlocker pass is something you must do, climbs to 2752 feet from memory and is spectacular, just don't do it in a 99 transit, couldn't get out of first gear its that steep.

Ill have a look tomorrow at my map and give you some nice bits to drive through and hopefully some pictures
I would really appreciate any advice you can provide about your trip!

I have a giant road map which I am struggling to comprehend. I mean you look at a road atlas of Australia, and I can read and plot easy as, but this European one is just mind boggling, especially when I'm certain that the best roads aren't even on the map.

Any help would be seriously appreciated.

Cheers.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwillo
Wouldn't be surprised if they've covered such a route on a Top Gear episode
Try searching around in that area of research?
That would be the episode they drove through the Stelvio Pass in the alps...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 01:47 AM   #7
midnightXR6

Ill be over around the Nurburgring race track in June with the ute.

May see you around in germany if youre over at that time.
midnightXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

How long do you have to get to Frankfurt?

There's some nice bits in Italy of course but you will be too busy trying not to be killed by the Italian driving style. Be prepared to throw out any common sense, and play Mario Kart beforehand to grasp the style. Though that out of the way, the best part I enjoyed in Italy was driving through Tuscany region and Verona, whatever you do don't head over the the east coast of Italy, its roads are terrible and its pretty rubbish I found. Only head over for Venice.

This is how we parked for Lunch in Pisa, Hazards on and 5m up from a set of lights. Nobody even blinked.

This is typical in Italian cities, park on inside of roundabouts, which by the aren't a give way to the left things its just fly through it and dodge. Also the shoulders of roads are actual lanes, eg 2 lanes with a small soft shoulder is actually 5 lanes. 3 one way 2 the other with the middle lane being both directions randomly.

Austria - The Hohe Tauern National Park is home to the Gross Glockner pass which is by far the best mountain scenery I came across. 10 Mountains at 3000m+. I drove through Tirol and Innsbruck while in Austria too which are great.

You can then come over to the German Border and start the romantic road and get your way to Fussen then Neuschwanstein Castle and follow the Romantic road along. The castles and Rothenburg were the standouts on the Romantic road, but mind you I was traveling with a mate so I was avoiding the most romantic parts of this trip.

If you can get over to Munich its well worth the trip. The Beer Halls/Gardens, the Steins and the History. I visited here twice in my trip. Once for Oktoberfest and once to get a feel for it without the drunken Aussies. I'm fascinated by the history of WW2 so Munich was a very big part, Dachau Concentration camp is only 15 minutes of Munich and its something that people should understand. I seen Dachau and Auschwitz and would recommend everyone see it so we never forget this part of history.

I never took Toll roads in Italy traveled on the cheap and had 6 months to spare. The non tolls are also a lot more interesting. We took tolls in Austria as the mountains make it impossible not to, and once you hit Germany there are no toll roads just fantastic roads and excellent drivers.

Ill keep going back through photos and remembering where they were, I dint label the photos and i took 2500+ so its a slight challenge.
Old 21-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

grimsel pass from italy into switzerland is another beauty! Fantastic roads, love the tunnels, corners massive mountains (on this road you even get to go on a car train through a mountain if the road is impassible). Check it out!

I will be in france in July (just a few km inside France near Geneva), also heading up to the Nurburgring!!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
glavas

The good routes are highlighted in green in the road maps.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
I'd probably definately check out whether any insurance would be valid on the 'ring first....
I have a mate who lives in Germany (Stuttgart) who can confirm that
It isn't covered for your basic hire car!... Basically you stack you have just bought the car...
Old 23-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Will be doing similar trip next june , scotland france germany etc will be in one of those vans . With hopefully some bike hire on the way got a month to see europe so want to get the most out of it