Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 18-12-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
Silky

Default Giong to look at an EB for daily driver. What should i look out for?

Morning all..

Yeah.. It's a '93 EB II, Auto, 203,000km, 7 months rego.. and he's got $1750 on the window..

Sounds like a good deal... it still has the tape player in it, so i'm guessing with those K's, and the lack of sound system, it was an old timers car..

Anyone give me some quick advice on things to check when i take it for a little test drive? Where to look for rust, common leaks, funny noises that are going to lead to major failures... those sorts of things...

and to be honest.. as a 23 year old that's only ever owned two cars which i KNEW were looked after... just general advice when buying a used car would be helpful..

Thanks all! have a great chrissy!

Silky is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

I have my own checklist for pre-purchase car inspections...
A copy is available to download HERE.
Perhaps you may find it useful....

Hope all goes well.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
Dezza
Parts bin special

Main areas for rust are the rear wheel arches, the boot floor, and the top edge of the windscreens. Other than that, they don't seem to rust much.

Mechanically, at those kms, try to find out if the head gasket's been done because they seem to go around the 200-250,000km region. Take off the oil cap and look for a milky looking residue. This will indicate a blown head gasket. Make sure the auto shifts smooth.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Silky

Thanks for the help guys.. the bloke was a knob and clearly looking to make some quick dosh, so i didnt even bother driving the car..

going to look at another one tomorrow.. another EB II, 163000km, Manual.. May Rego... $2500.. ?
Silky is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Cam
Stroking it...

I picked up a ED Fairmont 5sp (converted) for $1k, 170 000 on the clock. The deals are out there if your willing to be patient!

Thats a good list though EB92
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
superyob
Banned

I am a Ford nut but I would stay away from any E series Falcon. I recently got rid of my EBII wagon after putting up with it for 8 years. In that time, I replaced the steering column twice, replaced coil and distributor twice, replaced a head gasket then a couple years later replaced the head, replaced the rack and pinion, made many attempts to seal the front of the engine to stop oil leaking out, replaced many steering pressure sensors, had a fuel pump fail, and that's just what I can remember.
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post