Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 14-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation From Drive 13 Nov. Mondeo Underated Car in Australia

Pitched as an alternative to the Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore, which dominate the Australian fleet and family-car scene, the Mondeo is an enticing package with lots of cabin and hatch space, an excellent and economical diesel engine and impeccable European road manners. Stylish inside and out, with helpful splashes of class, the mid-sized Mondeo has no shortage of aesthetic appeal, either.

All Mondeos have a standard five-star ANCAP safety arsenal including seven airbags, stability control and anti-lock brakes.

The range has just been enhanced visually with more standard inclusions, with the premium Titanium version scoring a welter of new safety-related functions, many usually found only in expensive European brands.

The 118kW/208Nm 2.3-litre four-cylinder petrol engine struggles a little with the Mondeo's weight. Our preference is for the 2.0-litre turbo diesel (120kW/340Nm) with loads of pulling power from low revs and fuel use of a mere 5.9 litres per 100 kilometres (LX model). Both engines are mated to a six-speed automatic.

Prices range from $30,990 (plus on-road and dealer costs) for the base LX hatch to $46,240 for the richly equipped Titanium TDCi hatch.

It's baffling that the Mondeo range managed only 3897 sales between January and October this year. But sales are up marginally on last year, so maybe consumers are slowly wising up.

Could this be because of FORDS lack of advertising the Mondeo!!!!!!!!!

Old 15-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Could this be because of FORDS lack of advertising the Mondeo!!!!!!!!!
of course it is. i used to get peeved off about it till i read someone's comment on here. ford aus can't really afford to market a falcon killer... falcon is still too important to the company on a local level.

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And because Ford is protecting the Falcon they are restricting the updates to the basic configuration for the Mondeo rather loose a few Mondeo sales to protect a car thats not even in the same sector WAKEUP FORD

apstar

ps even the new 2011 508 PUG will eat into Mondeo sales
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
roguex2x
Starter Motor

Hi all,
I'm new to the Mondeo family. Loving the car at the moment.
In regards to the thread, I personally like that they haven't advertised the Mondeo a huge amount. Makes the Mondeo more unique in a way. The down side to that, is it's damn hard to find accessories easily (like the window trim to stop rain, bonnet protector, dash mat, etc), otherwise it's back to Ford for the premium price they charge for these.
If they did do more advertising, it at least should be for the Mondeo wagons, as I believe they've stopped making the Falcon wagons. That shouldn't affect the Falcon sedans and possibly give Holden sportswagons a challenge.
roguex2x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
XWGT