Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
dave289
Banned

Default The Taxman,s On The Hunt, Who's Next?

Just saw this article , dont know if its been discussed before or not.

http://www.news.com.au/money/money-m...-1225898807931

While I do have an ebay account I have not used it much lately. I have bought and sold a few things over the years but I dont run it as a buisiness or anything, but I'm sure there are a few out there who may hit the panic button, I have noticed some sellers who have sold thousands of items and could get stung with a nice tax bill from the beloved taxman, are you in trouble ?

dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I think its only in the last 3 years and people who done over $20,000 of sales.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I only use it to buy the odd rare hot wheels car and lately been looking at bits for the FD on there.

Think I'm pretty safe since I've been buying and not selling!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I say good on the ATO for this. Most businesses do the right thing, but many that I know do not including hairdressers/barbers, taxi drivers and delicatessen owners. I will let the ATO do some work and find out who these are on their own.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Kryton

Every couple of years this is announced and never heard of again.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
silicon

This is what I received in my inbox, it is a genuine Ebay message. I have tripped the $20k mark by selling a car for a mate a few years ago.

Hello xxxxx (xxxx@xxxx.net.au),

eBay has received a request from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) for information relating to members of www.ebay.com.au who had sales greater than AU $20,000 in any given year during the period 1 July 2007 to 30 June 2009.

Our records reflect that you had sales greater than AU $20,000 in at least one of these financial years. As a result, the ATO has requested the following information:

? Contact name and user ID
? Email Address and IP Address
? Company /Business Number and ABN
? Address
? Telephone numbers
? Date of Birth
? Registration Date
? Banking Account Details
? Monthly sales for the period 1 July 2007 ? 30 June 2009

We can confirm that eBay has and will continue to work with the ATO to provide them with the information we are legally required to provide. Disclosure of this information is permitted in accordance with our Privacy Policy. eBay will be the ones to provide this information to the ATO.

For further information regarding the ATO, please visit its website at www.ato.gov.au, or consult with your professional legal or tax adviser.

Sincerely,
The eBay Team

Please note: Replies to this email will not be reviewed and responded to.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the smart ones will just do $15K then syart a new account to avaiod this. they could run many accounts like this and avoid detection and they could be re used every year providing they stay well below $15K each year

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
the smart ones will just do $15K then syart a new account to avaiod this. they could run many accounts like this and avoid detection and they could be re used every year providing they stay well below $15K each year
Its a bit sus if you have 50 ebay accounts all linked to the same bank account and coming from the same range of IP adresses or same MAC ID.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bit it would dodge tracking also you don't need to use the same bank account 10 accounts would mean $150K a year . and the IP and MAC issue can be overcome as well
I not saying you should do this just that only the stupid ones will get caught in this trap the smart ones will cover their tracks well and move deeper underground

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 01-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
bit it would dodge tracking also you don't need to use the same bank account 10 accounts would mean $150K a year . and the IP and MAC issue can be overcome as well
I not saying you should do this just that only the stupid ones will get caught in this trap the smart ones will cover their tracks well and move deeper underground
Is it really worth trying to escape the tax man? Just pay them the money to avoid spending some time in the slammer later on down the track when they eventually catch on.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you and think like that ( but I didn't many years ago) but there are those that will work hard at tax avoidance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Is it really worth trying to escape the tax man? Just pay them the money to avoid spending some time in the slammer later on down the track when they eventually catch on.

Rides:

Old 01-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

only for ebay businesses and large transactions..

People who sell the odd thing or 2 is just like selling something in the paper, who declares that?!?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

The average ebay user is not going to get caught by this, even if you sell a car (+$20k) because the tax man is not interested in the proceeds of a sale on an item you sold at a loss.