Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default LS Focus - spark plugs

serviced the focus yesterday for my mother in law. not much choice when it comes to plugs. i ended up putting basch fusions in it. ngk iridium were $35ea at most places. fusions were $75 for 4. not too many other options. there was a listing for a standard (double platinum) bosch plug but no one had any.

also, funny how the focus manual recommends changing them every 60000km and yet in a falcon, they are meant to last 150000km?? i think the focus runs slightly higher compression but thats a fair difference in life. not that it will matter. given the age of the inlaws, that set of plugs should see them out...

what does everyone else use. the ones i pulled out were motorcraft (also stamped with ngk) and although they looked very orange where the porcelain meets the thread, the new ones didn't seem to make much difference. at least i know they are done.

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

I picked up 4 NGK Iridium's (ITR6F13) from Bursons the other day for $88, they sold them for trade price. Good to see they look after the customer there.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
HUNTER8

If your after the NGK's they're cheaper to buy form Ebay Uk.
$50 shipped to your door.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4x-NGK-IRIDIUM...item4397a2f18e
HUNTER8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
Conquest_Tsi

Perfect, anyone found any cheap pollen filters?
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
HUNTER8

If you can't get them cheap here try Ebay UK for them.
They are listed there depending on your model.
I know I had an MG previously and could pick them up on Ebay for 10% of the price I was paying here.
HUNTER8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
shepv8
V8's for ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER8
If your after the NGK's they're cheaper to buy form Ebay Uk.
$50 shipped to your door.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4x-NGK-IRIDIUM...item4397a2f18e
same here, heaps cheaper getting them from the UK
shepv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

I went the boshe at 120000km. No problems here, did a bit of a search on the web and found quite a few good forums on UK people now using them as well - they suggested saving the cash over NGK's.
ivorya is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquest_Tsi
Perfect, anyone found any cheap pollen filters?
Here you go Steve, have the same one in mine: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Cost me GBP20.00 with shipping.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #9
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
serviced the focus yesterday for my mother in law. not much choice when it comes to plugs. i ended up putting basch fusions in it. ngk iridium were $35ea at most places. fusions were $75 for 4. not too many other options. there was a listing for a standard (double platinum) bosch plug but no one had any.

also, funny how the focus manual recommends changing them every 60000km and yet in a falcon, they are meant to last 150000km?? i think the focus runs slightly higher compression but thats a fair difference in life. not that it will matter. given the age of the inlaws, that set of plugs should see them out...

what does everyone else use. the ones i pulled out were motorcraft (also stamped with ngk) and although they looked very orange where the porcelain meets the thread, the new ones didn't seem to make much difference. at least i know they are done.
I also use the Fusions...$75 is a good price, pretty much what I paid at Superdodge Auto after 20% off. So far so good.
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 29-06-2010, 12:36 AM   #10
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
I also use the Fusions...$75 is a good price, pretty much what I paid at Superdodge Auto after 20% off. So far so good.
What part number?

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
What part number?
Bosch Fusion F7-4.

Pretty comprehensive catalogue here:
http://www.bosch.com.au/content/lang...tralia_Web.pdf

Old 29-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
Samy82

[QUOTE=prydey]

QUOTE]
BA/BF falcons have iridium long life plugs, focus use platinum hence the 60k intervals. NGK and bosch are my faves, not a fan of champions...
Samy82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samy82
BA/BF falcons have iridium long life plugs, focus use platinum hence the 60k intervals. NGK and bosch are my faves, not a fan of champions...
factory focus plugs are ngk iridium. they have ngk iridium stamped on one side and motorcraft on the other.
Old 29-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #14
Samy82

You know after all the plugs i've replaced on focus, I've never noticed that! But the tips are different though from Focus and Falcon which makes them long life. I might do dome research coz I'm intrigued now...!
Old 29-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #15
prydey
Rob

tips are the same, they are a long life plug.
Old 30-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #16
Samy82

Then they aren't the original plugs in the car. Falcons have the tiny tips and the focus has a squared tip from factory. What model focus? Coz plugs changed midway through LS.