Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Another Airliner crash

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...22/2906605.htm
Quote:
An Air India Express passenger plane en route from Dubai has overshot a runway and crashed outside an airport in southern India, killing almost everyone on board in one of the country's worst air accidents in years.

Mangalore deputy police commissioner R Ramesh said the plane, a Boeing 737 believed to be carrying 160 passengers and six crew, crashed in Mangalore about 6:30am on Saturday (local time) after overshooting the runway and ploughing into a forest.

At least eight people have been rescued from the plane, despite initial fears that everyone on board was killed.

The injured have been taken to local hospitals, but rescue workers say the chance of finding anyone else alive is bleak.

"My hands, face and legs are all burnt," one survivor, Uner Farooq, told the NDTV channel from his hospital bed with his head wrapped in bandages.

"There was a lot of smoke and fire inside and there was no way to get out."

Abdullah, another survivor, told local channel TV9 from hospital the plane had broken into two.

"I jumped out of the plane after it crashed. I saw two other people also come out," he said.

"There was tyre-burst kind of noise. I tried to get out of the front but saw that there was a big fire. So I went back again and jumped out from there."

Karnataka home minister VS Acharya called for local people's cooperation in what he called "this hour of crisis" and urged them to stay away from the crash site.

"It is feared that most of the people have died," Mr Acharya said.

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has offered his condolences and says compensation will be paid to the families of the victims.

It was not immediately clear what caused the crash, although Ramesh said the airport had been lashed by heavy rains, which had hampered rescue efforts.

Television footage suggested the plane had partially broken up, with smoke billowing from the main fuselage, as rescue workers sought to douse the fire with foam.

Rescue teams had to struggle down steep, wooded slopes to reach the plane, and were shown carrying body parts away from the site.

One television channel showed a fireman carrying in his arms what seemed to be the mangled remains of a child.

Charred bodies and an engine lay in the forested terrain, while hundreds of distressed relatives gathered at the airport and the crash site.

"The aircraft has broken up into pieces and fire has engulfed the aircraft. There is lot of smoke," senior police officer Gopal Hosur said.

"The flight had already landed. There was slight rain. The flight skidded off," eyewitness Mohiuddin Bava told CNN-IBN channel.

"After that it caught fire. Villagers, everyone there, came to rescue. The plane wings are right in front of me now."

Mangalore is a coastal city, about 320 kilometres west of Bangalore.

It is the worst plane crash in India since 61 people were killed when a passenger plane crashed into a residential area near the eastern city of Patna in 2000.

Air India Express is the budget arm of state-run carrier Air India.

- AFP/Reuters
The aircraft was VT-AXV delivered on 15th January 2008.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose

Yep , one of their worst , but nothing compared to the Air India Jumbo bombed over the Irish Sea in the mid 80's (I think)
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Crikey if this was a crashed Airbus the thread would be crawling with doom sayers
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Crikey if this was a crashed Airbus the thread would be crawling with doom sayers

Yes strange isnt it....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I'm getting more and more afraid of flying every day!
Old 24-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Praying my girlfriend doesn't see this on the news, shes going for her first flight ever in a month or so :S
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
max
LWBforME

I feel like I need to see another one of these propaganda programs about how safe flying really is. I travel overseas and interstate regularly and no amount of flying rids me of that deep suspicion that there's too much to go wrong in this mode of transport.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Seriously guys, it isn't that bad.

Do you fear driving everytime you see a fatal accident on the news? No.

Why should air travel be any different? There is more chance of you dying in an accident on the way to the airport.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More people die each year on the roads compared to airline crashes. Do you feel safe when you get behind the wheel or jump in to another car as a passenger?
Old 25-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
aye you
The Origional, The Best

Guys, the stats show that flying is the safest form of transport there is. The only reason people feel/think otherwise is because when there is an accident the media bash the hell out of it for days. If they did the same with car accidents no one would want to get behind the wheel of a car.
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #11
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
More people die each year on the roads compared to airline crashes. Do you feel safe when you get behind the wheel or jump in to another car as a passenger?
You see this is the whole thing. I'm a control freak. Yes I do feel safe when I get behind the wheel. Not so when I get in as a passenger. Passenger in a car, bus, boat or plane. Makes no diff to me. If I am not at the helm, I don't feel at ease. I need help don't I? Hehehehe.........
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I flew with 2 local 'budget' carriers while in India last year and their service was fine.

This could happen to anyone, anywhere and at any time.

A chap who was interviewed on TV said that the airport in question had 32,000 successful take off / landings since 2000.

There are some back streets of Delhi / Northern India that I feared more than flying while in India I can assure you!
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
Makes no diff to me. If I am not at the helm, I don't feel at ease. I need help don't I? Hehehehe.........
Not at all. I have flown numerous times, but I never feel completely at ease as it just doesn't seem right being in a plane that far off the ground. Having said that, if you think about the number of flights that would fly each day around the world, it would be a staggering number, and only a few each year crash. Compare that to cars on the road and the number of crashes there?