Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-03-2010, 01:04 AM   #1
skinkis
Cosworth abuser!

Default Buying a car over east.

Hi!
I´m currently looking for a new car and have found that the cars over east are cheaper than in Perth plus that there are more variety as well, so I was thinking of buying one from, say, NSW. The car is a Jap-import, currently registered in NSW. What sort of costs and permits would I need to drive it from NSW to WA? Except petrol and airfare ;)

Can I just buy the car and drive it over to WA with the NSW plates, or how does it work?

Not familiar with the Australian rules and regulations, done some readings on the WA http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/ site, but still not quite sure of how everything works and what to look out for and what is needed to get it licensed in WA.

Cheers!

Old 20-03-2010, 01:46 AM   #2
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes you can buy it over there, transfer it into your name, pay the transfer fees which will be several hundred dollars depending on how much you pay for it, could even be higher.Problem is I don't think you can transfer it into your name unless you're a resident or can give a NSW address, check the website for licensing vehicles in NSW.

Then you can drive it to WA and then you will have to put it over the pits (examination fees) and deregister it (and get a refund from NSW and send the plates back). Then you can register it here and that will cost you several hundred more.
I'd be doing my maths first.
Might pay to buy the car unlicensed (get the owner to delicense it) and put it on a transport truck and truck it over which will still cost you a bit (at least a few grand).
Makes buying one locally look more attractive I think.
Old 20-03-2010, 04:21 AM   #3
skinkis
Cosworth abuser!

From what I´ve understod I´m able to buy some sort of permit which allows me to drive it for two (?) days unlicensed. Think it might be used when the car has to go over the pits? Could I deregister the car in NSW and buy a permit like that and drive it to WA? What about insurance?

I´ve been doing some maths, and I´ve thought about the pits, rego, petrol, airfare, food, accomodation and permits if I need any... Have I missed anything?
Old 20-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I dont know about WA but here in the RTA ripoff state you have 2 weeks to transfer the rego.

So, if you bought the car ( and kept the receipt with you) I dont see why you could'nt buy it here, drive it to WA then re-register it there.

Are you buying it from a dealer, if so they might be able to help.
Old 20-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
skinkis
Cosworth abuser!

No, prob. buying privately. It would be good if they gave me like a weeks notice or something so I actually had a chance to drive it home safely

I guess I´ll go to the licensing centre on monday to hand in my transferpapers on my old car and can ask them if they know more what is needed... Just figured since this is a big forum there was bound to be ppl here that has bought cars from different states and driven them back home
Old 20-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I've bought my last two cars from dealers in Vic and did what I mentioned above with no problems.

On the back of NSW Rego papers there is a 'Notice of Disposal' that the seller has to fill out and lodge with the RTA. This does not cancel the rego, it's simply a transfer of ownership, so the car is still legally allowed on any road anywhere.

Underneath that part is the 'Registration transfer details. This includes the sale date, price paid and buyer and sellers details.

The seller keeps the top half of the Rego papers, which includes the notice of disposal, and you keep the bottom half which includes the Rego certificate on the front and the transfer details on the back
If it was me I'd...

1# Get a receipt from the previous owner, in case you get pulled up on the way home and need to prove who the owner is.

2# Get a cover note from you insurance company.

3# Enjoy the drive home avoiding the wildlife
Old 20-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

If you send anything to WA you'll be paying top dollar as every Truck going West is chockers. However if you want to get something East it's relatively cheap as there isn't much coming back.

They don't make cars in WA, so if you want to get one sent there you're taking up the space of a full price customer.

I'd say that to get a car to Perth from Syd it would be between $1200 and $2000, depending on the company, and that would be depot to depot.

Last edited by DJM83; 20-03-2010 at 05:05 PM.
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I've bought my last two cars from dealers in Vic and did what I mentioned above with no problems.

On the back of NSW Rego papers there is a 'Notice of Disposal' that the seller has to fill out and lodge with the RTA. This does not cancel the rego, it's simply a transfer of ownership, so the car is still legally allowed on any road anywhere.

Underneath that part is the 'Registration transfer details. This includes the sale date, price paid and buyer and sellers details.

The seller keeps the top half of the Rego papers, which includes the notice of disposal, and you keep the bottom half which includes the Rego certificate on the front and the transfer details on the back
If it was me I'd...

1# Get a receipt from the previous owner, in case you get pulled up on the way home and need to prove who the owner is.

Sounds pretty right. QLD to NSW all the same as above. In NSW you will then need a BLUESLIP which is a more comprehensive PINKSLIP (yearly rego check) which costs about $100ish then there will be the state transfer fees which will be the same as if you were just buying from down the street. Easy peasy. I'm not up to speed on what WA will require you to do though. Be aware that if they find something amis it will probably be this that costs you $$$$ to repair rather than the transfer fees.
Old 20-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
skinkis
Cosworth abuser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane

If it was me I'd...

This sounds really good and assuring!
Sweet! Will hopefully book a flight on monday and see what happens, found 2-3 backup cars if the first isn´t as promised

Thanks!