Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Spitfire 6.2
V6 3L

Question Swiss Replicas

I was trolling around ebay and the internet and I found this site,

http://www.swissreplicastore.com/

Its very interesting.
Has anyone used this site or know someone who has?

Spitfire 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
Kryton

nope.
a knock off is still a knock off.

I bet a lot of people would be crying foul if the Chinese released a car which looked exactly like the Falcon but at half the price.

Same should apply to anything that is a knock off i guess.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I thought I once heard a story of customs confiscating "fake" (or replica) Rolex watches due to the fact they're counterfeit items.

I'm not sure how true it all is though, but the site looks good, wouldn't mind one for myself at those prices!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but I curse replica timepieces with a passion! Grrrrrrrr
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

we bought back 3 automatic rolex look-a-likes from bali in january, cost $60 for the 3, they look the same as those ones on the link at $400 odd ea. they are excellent quality, even had the rolex holographic sticker and serial numbers.
customs said yeah they're genuine, wink wink, no probs
i think its only a problem if u are bringing in 100 watches
my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #6
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

I buy, sell and repair watches including Omega, Oris, Tag and Longines. Buying a fake watch is supporting scum.

Wearing a fake watch is being "fake" yourself.

I cant imagine many people beliveing your Rolex Sub or Omega PO is real when you hop back in your AU Falcon.

Its a nice website, but the watches are made in China, Vietnam or the Phillipines by kids and people who get paid 50c per day.

Save your money, and buy a Tissot, Swiss Army, Sea-Gull or something the like, so you friends dont know you are a fake.

AC/DC

AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 11:46 PM   #7
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Doesn't bother me ... got a few 'good' fakes every time I go to China mainly watches and sunny's.

Took an 'Omega' to a watch bloke to get some length taken off it .... he sent me somewhere else as he had a good look at it and said that I should take it to 'such and such because they specialize in Omega. I did this and the bloke who fixed it said "Nice watch, look after it" Good enough for me :P Cost me $30.00

They will only confiscate when you have enough to get attention. A few isn't a problem.

Is an interesting site though!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 11:50 PM   #8
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau

Took an 'Omega' to a watch bloke to get some length taken off it .... he sent me somewhere else as he had a good look at it and said that I should take it to 'such and such because they specialize in Omega. I did this and the bloke who fixed it said "Nice watch, look after it" Good enough for me :P Cost me $30.00
Bring it to me and I will pick its a fake. Guaranteed. The guy you took it to was probably taking the mickey out of you.

Idea - - - Some of you guys spend a LOT of money on cars, engines, turbos, wheels, stereos etc etc, , but you still want a fake watch ? I dont get it !
Old 19-03-2010, 12:07 AM   #9
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
Bring it to me and I will pick its a fake. Guaranteed. The guy you took it to was probably taking the mickey out of you.

Idea - - - Some of you guys spend a LOT of money on cars, engines, turbos, wheels, stereos etc etc, , but you still want a fake watch ? I dont get it !
You most probably could and would hope that most good watch repairers could! He could have been taking the mickey but he adjusted it, gave it a clean, was pleasant enough and said it was a good watch. Made me happy, only because he didn't throw it back to me saying he doesn't do fakes.

Why buy a fake watch or sunnys? Because I will loose it, drop it, break it before it breaks itself ...... guaranteed. Would rather a few good watches for next to nothing rather than paying stupid prices because of the brand.

Can't compare buying a $1500 watch to buying something decent for the car ..... thats why I prefer an Automotive Forum and not a Fancy watch site. I care more about the cars in other words. Also a broken watch won't leave me stranded waiting for the RACV and a hefty bill.

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 19-03-2010, 12:07 AM   #10
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
I have a nice watch and understand why ppl dont want to spend close to $10k on their wrist

Just came back from a service a few mths ago ...cost $1175.......
Old 19-03-2010, 12:11 AM   #11
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
I have a nice watch and understand why ppl dont want to spend close to $10k on their wrist

Just came back from a service a few mths ago ...cost $1175.......
George!!!! I have some good Rolex's and Omega's I could sell you for 1/2 that! And they NEVER need a service!!! You just throw them out and get another out from the bedside table

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 19-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In 2005 I was in Shanghai for the V8SC on a scam and while there went to the "secret market" where the perfect replicas are sold. I have a Tag that, like Auslandau's has fooled several jewelers but never a watchmaker.

While there several of the drivers came in to buy goodies and one was so impressed with an exact replica of the genuine Tag he was wearing that he took off the real one and put on the fake. It was not until he was on the plane home that he realised he had accidentally left the real one behind.

Guess which ex-888 driver........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 12:41 AM   #13
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
George!!!! I have some good Rolex's and Omega's I could sell you for 1/2 that! And they NEVER need a service!!! You just throw them out and get another out from the bedside table
The price of the service really threw me...was expecting $850 but i had damaged the bezel and sapphire crystal face, hence the increased price

Moral of this story - no more wearing this watch to the gym!
Old 19-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #14
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Quote:

Why buy a fake watch or sunnys? Because I will loose it, drop it, break it before it breaks itself ...... guaranteed. Would rather a few good watches for next to nothing rather than paying stupid prices because of the brand.
The prices are not so much the brand, more of an investment. Also, any decent watch like a Rolex or Omega Auto will take a real beating and still keep going. As for investment, look at the price of a late 60's Omega Seamaster 300.

I think spending $10k on a watch is too much. But $3k - $5k is ok.

AC/DC
Old 19-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #15
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
I bet a lot of people would be crying foul if the Chinese released a car which looked exactly like the Falcon but at half the price.
well, not falcons, but they do that for real.
Old 19-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #16
luke1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Mark
I was trolling around ebay and the internet and I found this site,

http://www.swissreplicastore.com/

Its very interesting.
Has anyone used this site or know someone who has?
My McAfee antivirus comes up saying the site has potential security risks when i open it, so probably best to stay away from it
luke1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #17
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Does anyone collect pocket watches/time pieces?

I just got my second swiss pocket watch the other day. I plan on getting a few and building a display case to put them in.

Currently they are in their padded boxes hidden away!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2010, 01:40 AM   #18
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I buy, sell and repair watches including Omega, Oris, Tag and Longines. Buying a fake watch is supporting scum.

Wearing a fake watch is being "fake" yourself.

I cant imagine many people beliveing your Rolex Sub or Omega PO is real when you hop back in your AU Falcon.

Its a nice website, but the watches are made in China, Vietnam or the Phillipines by kids and people who get paid 50c per day.

Save your money, and buy a Tissot, Swiss Army, Sea-Gull or something the like, so you friends dont know you are a fake.

AC/DC

Nice to see another watch afficionado on the forums, which part of Queensland are you in? I've always got my eye out for a nice cal.321 Speedmaster so if you come across a good one... ;)

I agree with the anti- fake watch sentiment, but to each their own, it's usually pretty easy to spot the fakes once you know what the real ones look and feel like. Don't be fooled though, I know people who have watches worth more than their cars, so hopping in an AU may not mean that it's not the real deal.
Cheers, Matt

edit: Just realised where I recognised your name from mate - WUS
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #19
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I have a Tag Aquaracer automatic, which in the grand scheme of things in swiss watches is pretty much entry level but when you look at the quality, it is heads and shoulders above anything more mainstream. I wear this watch every day, at work, whilst manually lifting patients out of mud and all sorts of weird places, in car crashes, you name it. I also wear it road cycling and mountain biking (even knocked it in a few crashes. There still is not a mark on it. To me that is where the point is, this thing is accurate and it never gives me grief, no matter what I throw at it over the last 4 years. The only issue I have is being an automatic, if I do not wear it for a couple of days it stops but as I wear it most days this does not matter. If it does stop, I set it again off the sat nav and all is good.

I do not go into the look at me I have a great watch thing, but sometimes it does get noticed. You get comments like "nice Tag" and that is not a bad thing. I do not know that I would feel the same about that comment if someone said it to me and in my mind I knew it was a fake. Like getting a BA XT, doing it up to a GT replica and then having someone say "nice GT", you know the truth.

Nor do I like the idea of supporting a company that is ripping off someone else's work, without the outlay on design and quality control.

Sure, I would not spend $10k on a watch, but $2k on one that looks like mine and gives service like mine does, that is fine. At least I am not supporting theft of intellectual property.
Old 20-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #20
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
Nice to see another watch afficionado on the forums, which part of Queensland are you in? I've always got my eye out for a nice cal.321 Speedmaster so if you come across a good one... ;)

I agree with the anti- fake watch sentiment, but to each their own, it's usually pretty easy to spot the fakes once you know what the real ones look and feel like. Don't be fooled though, I know people who have watches worth more than their cars, so hopping in an AU may not mean that it's not the real deal.
Cheers, Matt

edit: Just realised where I recognised your name from mate - WUS

Yep thats me.... Townsville, QLD