Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Focus losing ground in sales as Fiesta sales rise.

Fiesta hits its straps as Focus gets blurry

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576E80007C14E

Quote:
Ford struggles to get both of its small cars firing on all cylinders

16 March 2010

By JAMES STANFORD

THE new Ford Fiesta is finally doing the kind of sales numbers it should, but the problem for Ford is that the Fiesta’s growth has been undone by a decline in sales of its larger stablemate, the Focus.

The Fiesta light car and Focus small car sell in different segments, and while small cars usually outgun light cars, Ford’s entrants are reversed.

VFACTS figures show the Fiesta and Focus have almost swapped positions in the past few years.

In 2008, the average monthly Fiesta sales result was just 509. That rose to an average of 738 in 2009, assisted by the launch of the new model in January of that year.

After two months, the Fiesta’s 2010 average stands at 1019.

The VFACTS data shows the Focus managed a monthly average of 1301 in 2008 before dropping to 924 in 2009. After two months, the 2010 average stands at just 658.

The start of the year is always volatile, so this low number might not be a true representation of Focus’s sales potential this year, but it is well behind the segment leaders.

The Fiesta situation seems to indicate the impact of fresh metal combined with a heavy marketing campaign.

Anyone who has gone near a TV in the past six months would have seen an ad showing the Fiesta Econetic parking in front of a Prius billboard that is torn down after the narrator states the Fiesta is now the most efficient car in Australia.

Ford Australia spokeswoman Sinead McAlary said the promotion of the Econetic Fiesta has generated a lot of showroom traffic.

“The Econetic is providing a significant amount of run-off,” she said. “A lot of people are coming in, interested in that car.

“Not all buy it, but they might end up buying another model in the Fiesta range.”

The new Fiesta generated attention straight from its launch, but the increasing attention afforded the Econetic model has given it a secondary boost towards the end of 2009 and early 2010.

So is the attention given to the Focus taking away potential customers from the Focus? Is it the case that either the Fiesta or the Focus will sell at a reasonable rate, not both?

“We can’t afford for that to happen,” Ms McAlary said. “We need to increase our market share of Focus.”

So what happened to the Focus? The car has never lived up to its potential, usually selling half or less of the rival Mazda3 which is largely the same car under the sheet metal.

Unlike the all-new Fiesta, Focus has battled on with only a light facelift in early 2009.

The next generation car, unveiled at the Detroit motor show in January, is not due in Australia until next year, so Ford Australia will have to have to work its magic with an old model.

The company has changed its promotional campaign for the Focus, concentrating on the mid-spec LX model instead of pressing the price-leading model that has to compete against cheaper cars such as the Hyundai i30.

“In the past we have focussed, excuse the pun, on the price-leader, but buyers of small cars have changed,” Ms McAlary said. “They are no longer simply buying a small car for the price. They might be downsizing from a larger car and they still want all the features.”

Old 16-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Focus 2 is getting old, it has been around a long time, near 7 years.
Focus 3 is due out soon and can't come here soon enough.
Old 16-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Hopefully it increases sales.
Old 16-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Focus 2 is getting old, it has been around a long time, near 7 years.
Focus 3 is due out soon and can't come here soon enough.
The LS Focus was launched around June 2005.. So its just coming up for its 5th birthday..

Its a great car, and a great looking car but Ford's pricing and equipment levels leave alot to be desired...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Fiesta is finally getting its due recognition with the release of an absolute cracker of a new model. Focus is getting old, in a market filled with talent. Thats about it.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
4dlvr
4dlvr

both these cars are leaders in their own department. the only problem with the focus is the mazda 3
4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
The LS Focus was launched around June 2005.. So its just coming up for its 5th birthday..

Its a great car, and a great looking car but Ford's pricing and equipment levels leave alot to be desired...
I meant world wide, which was 2004. Close enough anyway. What's one or two years.
Old 16-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #8
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New model is not due in Asia-pac until 2012. That is 2 years away!! Straight from ford website

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/foc...//www.ford.com

Top right hand concer.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
New model is not due in Asia-pac until 2012. That is 2 years away!! Straight from ford website

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/foc...//www.ford.com

Top right hand concer.
well if that's the case, the Focus could be selling at Transit numbers (120) by then...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 02:24 AM   #10
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In July there will be on the market, new Mazda 6, Suzuki Kizashi and Hyundai i45..goodbye Focus. Again Ford has left the new model waaaay to late!!!
Old 17-03-2010, 07:30 AM   #11
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

Typical of Ford always 18 month at least behind competitors with either new models or what they supply as standard equipment in their cars
Old 17-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

The Focus is not a good looking car, although I'd expect to hear the opposite in these Forums. It has always been just that bit odd and awkward that the average buyer isn't sure what to make of it.

So without looks, they'd need something else. The handling story that works for it in Europe isn't promoted here. And the image making RS isn't here either. Ford Europe still have a strong reputation. Ford US has the 'we didn't go bankrupt' and are currently leading quality surveys to register their strong performance.

But in Oz we have constant 'Ford Falcon to go FWD', or the Territory brake/front steering knuckle issues to see in the media. The on again off again local Focus production and constant stories about the decline of large cars sales. It's nothing but bad news on Ford and it's media driven.

With the likes of Paul Gover and Jez Spinks on the 'get Ford Oz shut down' campaign, things are hurting in the land of public perception.

Keep in mind too that there have been two questionable leaders put at the helm of Ford Oz over the recent years - Tom and Bill. Given product lifecycles what we see now was decided back in their tenure.

Whether Marin has the wherewithal to produce a marketting led recovery of Ford Oz is yet to be seen, but leading with the strongest product, ie the Fiesta, is probably the right way to go about changing the brand image, but it will take time.

I'd suggest he needs to get access to Hybrid technology pretty soon. That Ford makes so many Hybrids in the US - and NONE of them are available here - is pretty lame.

The Ford brand name is Mud in Australia. The model refresh cycle now appears to be too slow, I agree. And Ford Oz Marketting and Product Management has to bear some of the responsibiity of this.

Lukeyson
Old 17-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #13
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
In July there will be on the market, new Mazda 6, Suzuki Kizashi and Hyundai i45..goodbye Focus. Again Ford has left the new model waaaay to late!!!
These are all in Mondeo's class.

I don't see how a Mondeo competitor will kill Falcon.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You have to consider, the small car market is very fickle. While when first launched, the Focus 2 sold quite well, it's been left to sit, with minimal updates, and when a substantial update has arrived it was too late, and didn't improve the look of the car, it made it look older. The interior is lacking, build quality isn't the best, and equipment is lacking compared to new competitors. The tried and true Toyota Corolla market is hard to crack because the Focus wears a Ford badge, the i30 may not be a great car but for the price it's fairly good and people have really warmed to it because of that price tag, and the Mazda 3 has a cult like following like the Corolla. While I don't particularly like any of these, they make the Focus look a little tired and dull. I suspect the Focus name is out there, and people are test driving it for the sake or comparing, then seeing the Fiesta and thinking how great it is and buying it instead. That's a better scenario than them not buying a Ford and going back to Toyota/Hyundai/Mazda.
Old 17-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #15
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you want a small FWD car that has some poke the XR5 cannot be overlooked the mazda 3 mps has chronic torque steer compared to the XR5 and the Mondeo XR5 is slower than the Focus due to the additional overall weight of the car. I like the look of the current Focus and it is in XR5 guise a head turning unit. I chose it (XR5) over Mazda 3 MPS because of the torque steer in the Mazda it just isn't in the Focus which makes it a car that a female can drive quick (my wife). The mondeo XR5 is a slug compared to the Focus. The Festiva is a tight unit yes but is too small. The focus can be loaded up like all heck and can carry 4 peeps with more legroom throughout the car. I feel the Focus is a fantastic car it just lacks the cult following as mentioned of some other cars Mazda for example. I believe the Focus is a better car than Mazda 3 which is why I bought one.

I thought new car sales are down across all segments anyway?

also I feel the new Focus on the way here looks better as a sedan than a hatch, which is strange as the Focus has always been a better hatch. I can see the new Focus sending Mondeo sales downward. Also the Fiesta econetic and other variants are getting advertised far harder than the Focus this advertising appears to be cannabalizing Focus sales.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #16
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
The Focus is not a good looking car, although I'd expect to hear the opposite in these Forums. It has always been just that bit odd and awkward that the average buyer isn't sure what to make of it.

Agree 100%, the "corporate bumper" looks horid on the focus, it wasnt originally designed for it and it shows. The fiesta and mondeo where and they look great but not the focus.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #17
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archilino
Agree 100%, the "corporate bumper" looks horid on the focus, it wasnt originally designed for it and it shows. The fiesta and mondeo where and they look great but not the focus.
I agree. My mum was in the market for a new car and it came down to the Focus or Mazda 3. As much of a one eyed Ford fan that I am, I couldn't recommend the Focus. Mazda is much better looking. The Focus looks best in hatch form (especially XR5). The sedan is just plain awkward looking.
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #18
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

The buyers of the Focus may just be waiting for the new model. Look at Mustang sales in the US, how much they fell, then the new engines were announced and people started banging down the doors at the dealerships to get their orders in.

Some people that can't wait are probably buying the new Fiesta. Ford's new look (kinetic design) is pretty appealing. I guess we will see once the new Focus hits the market if there is a jump in pent up purchases for the car.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #19
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steve, Unfortunately I don't think those that buy the Focus here are the kind of people that wait for the new one to be released...

In fact, I'd has it a guess that most people looking in the Focus, Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla class don't even know there's a new Focus on the way...

XR Falcons, FPVs and MAYBE XR5 (ST) Focus yes, you'd get people waiting. Not for base or mid spec Focus...
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #20
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Listened to 3aw's drive program a few days ago with special guest Paul Gover, a caller asked which is a better car between the focus and cruze. Gover for standing start acceleration the focus is much better, off the lights etc but in every other department the cruze has its measure easily.

Now im no expert on either car but this is on peak time on melbourne highest rating radio station so not a good look for the focus. 99% of people listening would know that he is anti ford or pro holden.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #21
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was a great artical about the Fiesta in the local rag here in geelong today

I am trying to find a link to it atm

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #22
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
In fact, I'd has it a guess that most people looking in the Focus, Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla class don't even know there's a new Focus on the way...
Probably becase the new one is still 2 years away.. No-one is going to wait 2 years for a car!!
Old 19-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #23
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Probably becase the new one is still 2 years away.. No-one is going to wait 2 years for a car!!
No probably because most of the people looking at Focus are 20 something females (XR5 excluded) who simply want a new car and pay just enough attention to know that the dash in the Cruze looks great at night or that Corollas have been around for years or that her best friend just bought a Mazda 3 and it's great.

My point is that the Focus market, on the whole, with the odd exception, isn't really what I'd call an enthusiasts market.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #24
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
No probably because most of the people looking at Focus are 20 something females (XR5 excluded) who simply want a new car and pay just enough attention to know that the dash in the Cruze looks great at night or that Corollas have been around for years or that her best friend just bought a Mazda 3 and it's great.

My point is that the Focus market, on the whole, with the odd exception, isn't really what I'd call an enthusiasts market.
You clearly did not look at my post & the post I quoted!!
Old 19-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #25
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dlvr
both these cars are leaders in their own department. the only problem with the focus is the mazda 3
Agreed. Every woman I know thinks the Mazda 3 is one of the best looking cars ever built... and the looks of a car definitely helps with the sales to mainstream buyers.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post