Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #61
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Well, geez.. looks like we're receding back to the stone age.

Why would I care, because I'm a member of a larger society perhaps...? One of the biggest problems we have today is nobody cares about their fellow man. It's not me so it's not my problem. Sad really.

Where something is plentiful it is cheap. People shoot roo's all day and nobody cares. Shoot a Koala and see what happens. People on this earth are plentiful and consequently we don't care for our fellow man.

We have adapted our surrounds to suit ourselves. Survival of the fittest has also adapted, to kill off idiots and their offspring in new ways. No matter what laws/education/inspections are put in place you can't idiot proof everything.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #62
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Where something is plentiful it is cheap. People shoot roo's all day and nobody cares. Shoot a Koala and see what happens. People on this earth are plentiful and consequently we don't care for our fellow man.

We have adapted our surrounds to suit ourselves. Survival of the fittest has also adapted, to kill off idiots and their offspring in new ways. No matter what laws/education/inspections are put in place you can't idiot proof everything.
Yes Darwin.... :
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 11:44 PM   #63
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Just to correct something mentioned previously. In NSW, an inspection is not needed till after 5 years of a cars age, not 3 years.

What would I do? I would get the rego first and take a mental note of the make / model. I would then try to get the attention of the driver. If she seems surprised, and genuinely concerned with the defect I would be on my merry way in the hope that she heeds my observations and fixes the problem.

If she is rude and tells me to go and get fornicated with or without the usual hand gestures I would be on the phone to the police ASAP reporting it. As far as I'm concerned this is an unsafe situation for the children to be in, first and foremost.

I have already done similar on several occasions (gone out of my way to help or assist strangers for whatever reason) and have not had a negative response. And If I did, I would not base that on future decisions to do the same.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #64
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I'd ask myself, "What the hell I'm doing looking at a Commodore"?
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #65
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
I'd ask myself, "What the hell I'm doing looking at a Commodore"?
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #66
KITBAG

[QUOTE=4Vman]you see a woman=QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
I'd ask myself, "What the hell I'm doing looking at a Commodore"?=

^^^you missed the first line
You where looking at the woman : :
KITBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #67
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
I try to help people.
People these days often forget this simple, basic element of humanity. Helping someone else.

Sadly the term 'community' (common unity) really is just a label these days as (due to a range of reasons) there is a real lack of that true community aspect in todays society.

So you mention something to the lady and she screams at you / ignores you / throws something at your car / maybe even gets out and confronts you. At least you can walk/drive away knowing you did the honourable and decent thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Basically highlights the moral decay of society. Not that I needed this thread to alert me to this fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Agreed, it really is quite disappointing and troubling isn't it.
Sadly the same picture is being painted across the world; more than we realise i would think.

---------

I'm still waiting to hear the point of this thread, or has the point been achieved already by highlighting the fatalistic degradation of 'man' driven society?
Old 15-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #68
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

People have always complained that society is morally decaying. Society has always been "man" (as a placeholder for human) - driven.

It is still sad to see that people don't want to help each other.
Old 15-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #69
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
At least you can walk/drive away knowing you did the honourable and decent thing.
I like this!! Always knowing you've done the good/right/decent/honourable thing or taken the high road etc. is very comforting. Knowing that you never even need to think about looking over your shoulder for the revenge that may ensue from your actions. It's a small thing but it makes a huge difference to your life. Being able to sleep at night is good too!

I'm surprised at how often people ask me for advice on a situation and are slightly deflated when they hear me say "do the 'right' thing" (or whatever suits the question). It's like they want someone to tell them to retaliate or do something underhanded etc.
Old 15-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #70
bingoTE50
Steve

Yep I am with the Inducted_Breeze comment.
I always try and help people. I would have inquired if she knew her tyres were so low in tread . She probably knew but you never know.
You always run the risk of being abused ,I have had it happen after this guy backhanded his missus and I asked him would he like to try someone a bit more of a challenge !! She then turned around and had a go at me ....so what do you do !!!
Sometimes a condom would have been a wise decision...
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #71
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Depends on what the mother looked like lol!!
Old 15-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #72
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

Stop her and say "hi, I'm part of the common unity. Here's $300, buy yourself some new rear tyres and make our roads safer; for all of us".
the next time you see her, ask to see either the tyres or her new tat.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #73
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
You never need a roadworthy in qld unless u sell the car registered..

Our laws are the worsed in the country as far as roadworthy cars go.. Although im not complaining yearly inspections would be a pain, but i dont keep cars that long :

Shhhhhh dont tell ANNA that will be the next cash grab
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #74
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would tell her her tyres need to be looked at .
Havent been abused for telling someone their is something wrong with their car have told people there load is unsecured and falling off.tailgate open , side window open on utes ,tyres underinflated headlights left on driving with handbag on top of car etc etc .

I have been told that I have left my headligths on drove away from servo without fuel cap and someone waved me down on the side of the road as I was turning a corner and the fuel was falling out the side ,people have helped me out and I will help them out .
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #75
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
You always run the risk of being abused ,I have had it happen after this guy backhanded his missus and I asked him would he like to try someone a bit more of a challenge !! She then turned around and had a go at me ....so what do you do !!!
the problem in this situation is that when they got home, he probably would have given a few more backhanders because you were not there to save her. although your intentions were good, she would not have appreciated more pain if that was the case
with domestic violence and bullies it is difficult to make the right call. you want to stop it when you see it, but the chances are it will be much worse for the victim once you have left and they are on their own
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #76
kezzer

It just happened to be a "VE SS" right?

bald tyres AND a commodore prob means the fathers a hoon too right?

I'm not saying thats the case, but Im just surprised no ones said anything lol, considering all the anti=H posts.

Anyway, I would have let her know. If something was wrong with my car on the road I would def appreciate abit of a wave etc. :
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #77
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Some really interesting views in this thread

Quite disappointed in the commonly held view "not my problem"
Agree 100%

If I had a problem with my car, I'd want someone to let me know.

Treat others as you want to be treated sums it all up rather nicely I reckon.

I understand that sometimes people will give you an earful for doing so, but that doesn't stop it being the right thing to do.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 11:09 PM   #78
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
I would think it's the exact opposite, as there's an accident waiting to happen. It could turn out you, or anyone else, would end up the horsepital?

Is that some sort of vet?

Just bein a smart a$$.

This happens to me all the time and I always try and tell the person. If they react badly to it, I can drive away feeling smug, knowing that I have far more brain cells than they do.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 11:51 PM   #79
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
I used to think I would tell her... a few months ago I saw a Magna station wagon driving along ANZAC Bridge with a 20% inflated rear left tyre. The car was all over the road and the tyre looked like it was going to come off the rim!
At the lights I got out and tapped on the window and told them about it. The woman driving (I'll refrain from mentioning nationality) told me to **** off and the (rather big) bloke in the passenger seat got out of the car and threatened to kill me. No joke. He almost took a swing at me and said if I didn't **** off he would stab me "in the ****ing throat".

You know what, after that experience I let things like that be, praying morons like that don't wipe out an innocent family. With any luck it'll just be them wrapped around a pole.

What annoys me more than anything is how the police have hijacked the defecting system and don't use their powers to get cars like this off the road. Instead they're sent out to score cheap political points by targeting the only part of the motoring population that actually takes pride in maintaining their cars' mechanicals properly.

Sad to say I had a much milder version of this happen to me a while back with a bloke in a busted a$$ old ute that had no tail lights driving at night.... wound down the window at the lights and let him know, he flipped me the bird, wound up his window and drove off.

I figured stuff him, he'll get busted soon enough and to be honest I gave his closed window a few choice words to assist him on his journey through life... but this was a bloke in his 50's/60's that looked like any aussie of that age.

People are too angry nowdays... and they make me angry. :
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post