Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Driver killed taking recalled car to get tests

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225840396215

Quote:
A BRITISH pensioner driving his recalled Peugeot to a dealer for checks was killed when it shot into a busy road.
Frank Beer's semi-automatic 107 was one of 6000 due to have its accelerator pedals checked, The Sun reported.

The cars were made in a joint venture with Toyota — which is recalling millions of cars with faulty pedals.

Frank hit an oncoming Land Rover as he lurched on to the A30 in Launceston, Cornwall, on Wednesday.

The 83-year-old — town crier of the nearby town of Liskeard — died at the scene.

A 44-year-old woman in the other car had minor injuries.

Police are now checking the Peugeot's accelerator.

Frank's son Tim, a former cop, said: "While he was waiting to cross a fast road, his car moved forward twice.

"We want some answers. I want to know if the car my father was driving was faulty. The next fatal accident could involve a family."

All semi-automatic 107s — made alongside Toyotas at a factory in the Czech Republic — were recalled in February.

A Peugeot Citroen spokesman said none of the 3000 cars checked so far had faults.

He added: "We can't comment because we are awaiting police reports."

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

How tragic.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Sensationalism by the press? At 83, his reflexes and actions may not have been what they once were. Next we'll be seeing headines like "Territory with suspected faulty ball joints involved in fatal accident"....which was caused by the driver hitting a tree at 120 because he was drunk!

Still, the car could have lurched forward by itself...tragic accident.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
Kryton

No evidence at all that the accelerator was at fault (and not the driver) and it makes the news?
The media really do need to get a size 12 right up the clacker.
Seems we as the public, have let the media, and what they report, go too far if we can sit back as a society and let them report such rubbish as this and most other news items reported.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

I don't think Top Gear had any troubles with the 10 of them they trashed a few years ago, I doubt no others have been treated as badly in that time.
BigAL_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
Whitey Ford

Town Crier is an actual job?
Whitey Ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia Chaser
— made alongside Toyotas at a factory in the Czech Republic —
There's the problem, right there....
Old 15-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
blueline
ambitious but rubbish

peugeot 107's and toyota aygo's are made on the came production line in the czech republic, same as the citroen C1's. if they were fitted up with the same CTS-supplied accelerator pedals as the prius, then it could be legit. although it wouldn't 'lurch' forward if it was the same problem as the prius.

www.themanifold.me
blueline is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

As tragic as this is, is it possible that the car may have lurched forward because his foot was on the wrong pedal?
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
blueline
ambitious but rubbish

although, on pondering this, if the accelerator pedal did stick while the town crier was moving forward, then he hit the brakes, the engine could have been revving enough for his car to jump forward when he let the brakes go. and if he let the brakes go twice then his car would have 'lurched' forward a coupla times. i am assuming his son is going off witness statements for what he is saying, or was in the car behind.

or he could have had his foot on the wrong pedal.

www.themanifold.me
blueline is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post