Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Default Finding Vehicle via Registration

Not sure if this can be done...

BUT, can you find the registered owner of a vehicle via the registration details or the VIN/Engine number?

Reason I ask is, I'm interested in buying a car that I have previously owned, but I have no idea who owns the vehicle now...

I have all vin/engine details of the car... (old rego papers of mine)...
and I know what the numberplate was when I sold the car...

So - is there any way of finding the vehicle (of course in a legal way)...

Any ideas?
Cheers...

Old 08-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

god i hope not. the last thing i'd want is someone tracking down my address via my number plate.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
god i hope not. the last thing i'd want is someone tracking down my address via my number plate.

No, I believe only the motor registries or the police have that info..You can imagine the problem if this information was readily available.

The NZ Motor Registry has a website that gives you details and history of a car if you type in the rego number, things like speedo reading at rego renewal time etc, but not the name and address of the current or previous owners. Nothing like that in Australia I don't think
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
Kryton

I dont know which state you live in but in some states, you can put a request in to the authority to make contact with the current owner (last registered owner).
Basically the authority will contact the owner on your behalf, let them know that you want to contact them and give them your details.
If the owner doesnt want to contact you, then thats the end of it right there.
No idea what it costs or even if every state will do this but thats what id be trying to do.

If your in Victoria (or you suspect that it has Vic rego), you can use their website to CHECK VEHICLE DETAILS BEFORE PURCHASE, and it will list if its written off, if its registered, if it is stolen etc.
Simply put in the VIN (or rego number) and it will give you the info.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

yeah in VIC - i've used the vicroads site and the car is still registered with the plates that I sold the car with...

So the car is still out there - i just don't know where....

I can see though, point made previously, that you really wouldn't want your details to be that 'easy' to access...

Request of Authority certainly has merit...

Spose i'll have to look into it a little more...
Old 08-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
LTDHO
The one and only

Nope and it is illegal to try.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
GregXR6T
Starter Motor

Default Qld

My misses tried about 8 years ago on a car we had, 15yrs its been now that was a dead end.
Guess what showed up on Ebay last night the same car just keep looking you never no what might show up.
GregXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How good would it be if you could go to a site and lodge a request where buy the the current registerd oner found out about your enquiry and your details were sent to them and they could contact you if they were interested in selling?

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
T3man
Banned

Yes that would be good - how about a section on this forum to find past Fords? It would be a start.

I'll start off - 78 Falcon Cobra #188. It's was last registered in NSW about 1998(?) and it was wearing the plate COB 188. The plates are now on hold so the car is obviously put away in a shed. Is the owner here? Does anyone know the owner and could you please tell him to contact me via this forum?
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post