Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
smally289
growing up is optional

Default Broken Hill Members - Need Advice (and a favour)

I need some local advice from people that live in Broken Hill or have some knowledge of the area. At the start of the year I took a job with Uranium 1 at their Honeymoon mine and will be going to site in a few weeks on a 7/7 day roster. Currently doing heaps of training and procedure manual creation in their Adelaide office (joy!).
My plan is to drive to Broken Hill and then use their bus facility to get me to site. I dont think my EF would cope with the dirt road, especially when it rains. A 4x4 is on the to do list, but that prob wont be for another 6 months or so.
Anyway, Im looking for some cheap accomodation, just to crash the night before and the night after my shift block. Doesnt have to be flash. I flew out there for a day trip on thursday and we went past the Sturt Motel which looked half reasonable. Is there anything you guys know of in the way of Hotels / Motels / Caravan Park Cabins that you could recommend?

Im also going to need somewhere to park my car for the 7 days that Im on site. Not real keen to leave it out on the street, not that it is worth much, but it would be nice if it didnt get stolen or damaged! Someone mentioned the airport but it looks pretty open and not secure at all. If someone has the space in their yard or something Id be happier to leave it there. Not looking for undercover parking or anything like that, just a space where there is someone around from time to time. Id be willing to pay for the privelige if required.

Thanks

smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

I used to stay at the old vic B+B. from memory it was around $40 a night
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/nsw/br...4-listing.html
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Given how savage the heat and sun can be out there, I would even consider getting a storage unit for the car.

RE accommodation, the pubs are OK - cheap and cheerful. A bit basic though.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
smally289
growing up is optional

Thanks redxm, I will check that place out.

Turbotaxi - yeah I know what you mean about the sun/heat! Im not all that fussed about leaving it outside, it doesnt get an undercover park at home and we have some very similar conditions here. Security is more my main concern, its no show car, has a few minor scrapes and dents but is reliable and comfortable - just like a work hack should be!
Old 31-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
Fantome

The Sturt Motel is very clean and budget priced. Also try the Tourist Lodge, 100 Argent Street or the West Darling hotel also in Argent Street.
Fantome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Mate & I always stay at the Gateway on Galena street (as you head into Broken Hill from Adelaide, turn right at the Holden dealer roundabout and its directly behind them), but that's probably a bit too costly, I think for the two of us its $130ish a night (but when we go halves its not too bad). Nice rooms though, and they have a pool.

I don't know why, but I just love the Broken Hill roadtrips and the fun we get up to when we're there!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just got home from a trip to Adelaide, and like a few others have said, The Sturt Motel, is a good place, stayed there every trip i've done through there, They have a pool and late check in

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
smally289
growing up is optional

Cheers guys. Anyone tried this place?

http://members.iinet.net.au/~dgrev/bluindex.html

There may be 3 of us travelling together, so the cost gets split into thirds, making this good value IMO.