Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #91
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMAX film is a whole lot different to your normal greater union cinema film. The projectors are completely different. The film is almost twice the size too.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #92
CFOUR
The Destroyer

I completely hated avatar, it looked good that's about all the positives in my mind.
If you want to watch a great movie, get your hands on a copy of "The Hurt Locker"
Old 21-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #93
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
...I have to say I wasn't particularly impressed with the 3D though... I've seen a few 3D IMAX movies - their 3D is incredible.

I remember seeing a 3D IMAX movie a few years ago - there was an animated trailer type thing for 3D IMAX at the start of the movie... a painter is carrying a ladder on his shoulder, and is walking parallel to the screen. As he approaches the middle of the screen, he turns to face the audience - the whole cinema ducked as it really did look like the ladder was sweeping across the audience. Later, blobs of paint appear to float above the audience's heads... truly amazing.

In Avatar, the depth seemed to be into the screen, and the depth did not seem particularly deep. I haven't seen it in an IMAX, but presumably it's the same technology used there so it'll look the same?
To me the 3D was used in Avatar to enhance the movie, not as a gimick so you ducked planes, spears, etc. I thought it was done very well and used to bring the audience into the movie so you could further suspend reality. It worked on me!

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #94
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
Your not the only one. The movie was alright, but I've definately seen better. Shiny graphics doesn't make a good movie and the story, come on....Avatar plot outline :P

It felt more like a Disney/Family movie than an adult sci fi flick.

As for Sam Worthington, I didn't like him in Salvation or this. So far I feel he's been hugely over rated.
I'm not suprised, James Cameron said the major influence on the storyline was "Ferntree Gully" a 1992 kids movie.

As for Sam Worthington he stars alongside David Wenyham and a nice XR Falcon in "Getting Square". They seem to have pidgeon holed him as an action star in the US, but about a decades worth of his local stuff really shows the depth of talent he's got.
Old 21-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #95
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
IMAX film is a whole lot different to your normal greater union cinema film. The projectors are completely different. The film is almost twice the size too.
Or on home system...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #96
fordv8!

great movie and worthington is going to be huge
fordv8! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #97
ch33z1l
Dawn

Update:

Avatar has replaced the number 1 spot as 'biggest every movie', previously held by Titanic
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #98
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch33z1l
Update:

Avatar has replaced the number 1 spot as 'biggest every movie', previously held by Titanic
Do they take inflation into account with the box office record? If not, the list is pretty meaningless, really... Titanic is quite old now.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #99
ch33z1l
Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
Do they take inflation into account with the box office record? If not, the list is pretty meaningless, really... Titanic is quite old now.
This article suggest no. It only ranks 26th on all time US sales when inflation is factored in

http://www.dherbs.com/forums/index.php?topic=7058.0
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #100
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch33z1l
This article suggest no. It only ranks 26th on all time US sales when inflation is factored in

http://www.dherbs.com/forums/index.php?topic=7058.0
That's what I thought. The top 10 list, based on adjusted figures, appears here: http://www.theage.com.au/news/entert...268023100.html

Number 1 is Gone With The Wind... from 1939.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post