Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
HKT11K ST
Focus Driver.

Default Tyres with writing on the tread

Hey everyone,
My tyres on my '03 focus are starting to wear out and I wanted to get some new ones. I was looking at either potenza adrenalin's or pirelli p zero's.
Does anyone know if any place in nsw sells tyres like they have in the japanese drifting and euro touring cars (i.e tick white writing on sides?). I emailed a tyre dealer and he said they could supply tire chalk; What is that? is it effective?

Thanks in advance

HKT11K ST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Specific tyre questions would get better results in tyre and wheel tech but anyway.....

A member here used a grout pen to paint his own and they look quite good:

White Knight Paints" Grout pen $10.70 at Bunnings.

http://www.whiteknightpaints.com.au/...view/grout-pen

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 04-01-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

I've done a pretty through look around for street tyres which have the white writing on them however I can't seem to find any with less than a 65 profile. Mine are 45.

However you can buy a white paint marker from Autobahn for like $4. That is what I do and it lasts for ages so long as you don't put any tyre black over the top, in which case it turns to a dirty yellow/brown after only 3 days of driving.

I've been recommended to speak to a place who do the white walls to see if they would paint the lettering in a more permanment paint however I'm yet to do so.

Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Pretty old school thing to do, kinda cool that it's coming back.

I know Kumho's Ecsta race tyrese have yellow writing (kinda looks like a transfer of some sort) but they ain't road legal, or cheap.

I remember seeing paint pens specifically for tyres but it was a long time ago. Check your local parts store, that's probably where I saw it.

Alternatively, talk to some hot rodding guys (or at least flick through their forums) they're bound to know

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

I'm with you TJ - I reckon it kinda cool too.

Fredo

Late 2005 LS CL, 5spd Manual, 5 Door, Titanium Grey
To Do List:-
:- Using 95 RON Fuel (DONE -easiest upgrade of all) :- XR5 Springs (DONE) :- Lower air box removal (DONE) :- K & N Panel Air Filter (DONE)
:- 2.25" Cat Back (DONE) :- DBA Brake upgrade (DONE)
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Quote: "I know Khumo Ecsta race tyres...........".

They're usually attached to a F3 Open Wheel racecar, aren't they??

And I agree it's an old-school trend that was common in the '70's and '80's. Oh, the countless hours of colouring in my Goodyear's. I'm glad I don't have to do that again.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
Quote: . . . Oh, the countless hours of colouring in my Goodyear's. I'm glad I don't have to do that again.
Oh come on Ed!
Don't you remember the sense of satisfaction you got from doing all that colouring-in without going outside the lines??
Or is that just me . . . lol :togo:
Anyway, I like it and I'm going to do it . . sometime, when I have 2 or 3 spare hours with, um, nothing better to, um, do.
Fredo

Late 2005 LS CL, 5spd Manual, 5 Door, Titanium Grey
To Do List:-
:- Using 95 RON Fuel (DONE -easiest upgrade of all) :- XR5 Springs (DONE) :- Lower air box removal (DONE) :- K & N Panel Air Filter (DONE)
:- 2.25" Cat Back (DONE) :- DBA Brake upgrade (DONE)
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

So Fredo, you went outside the lines too!

BTW The only Euroford I've seen with the writing on it's tyres is Velociraptors and I think it's pretty good but I'm still not going to put the effort into doing the same on mine 'cos once I'm on the ground I don't think I'll be able to get up.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
Quote: "I know Khumo Ecsta race tyres...........".

They're usually attached to a F3 Open Wheel racecar, aren't they??

And I agree it's an old-school trend that was common in the '70's and '80's. Oh, the countless hours of colouring in my Goodyear's. I'm glad I don't have to do that again.
Yep and some sport sedan series' too. My brother in-law used to work for Fsport. There was talk of changing the writing on them from yellow to red after the Mazda Furai was shown with them. That would have looked s****!

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post