Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Hints for a Tassie holiday please.

The wife and I with my teenage daughter are planning a trip to Tassie in mid January. Apart from Port Arthur and Cradle Top can anyone tell me some must see places.
We're only going for about 8 days, do you need to book accomodation? People have told me theres accomodation everywhere and just rock up.
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:33 AM   #2
kelnic

have to go to strahan on the west coast. it is the most beautiful,relaxing place.also has the gordon franklin river cruises.everyone else that i know has gone there and loved the place.this is a place you have to go,you wont be disappointed!
kelnic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Director

mid Jan might be a bit risky for rock up accom if you want to stay in the top tourist areas. What are you into? fishing? bush walking? just relaxing? Coles Bay and Bruny Island are beautiful spots, Richmond is nice. If you like trout fishing Little Pine lagoon and shannon River are fantastic.
If you get stuck you can come around and do my lawns while I go fishing

Ace Ventura

FG G6
XB K code Fairmont
Director is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

8 days, will pass by very quickly I can assure you. When you go to port arthur make sure you allow a full day as to see it properly you will need it.

But as Kelnic said Strahan and a Gordon River cruise would have to be up there on top of one of the must things to do. Absolutely magnificent trip and the scenery is something else.

If you do go to strahan the Wall in the Wilderness at Derwent Bridge is also a must see. A wall of wood carvings that measure 40m x 3m approx, a very talented man and worth the stop.

Be prepared to take plenty of photos as well, we were there for 11 days and took over 1000 pics.

Going back for 3 weeks in may next year,so who know how many will be taken then.

If you are going to the main tourist spots it would be best to book accommodation as we were told that everything is just about booked out at that time of year being the height of their tourist season.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

8 Days not a lot of ime. Maybe stick to to east coast? The roads are a bit hows ya father and 200 kays can easily take 3+ hours. Accomodation in peak can be tough so suggest you book ahead. Weather is unpredictable. I spent 3.5 weeks there in Feb - gotta head back cause i missed so much due to weaher and time. Check out some photos below if you like

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2454391...7613805409857/

Beautiful place
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks all, yes 8 days isn't much but due to work commitments thats about all we can manage.
Sorry Director, won't have time to do you lawns, good thought though. I would like to have a go at trout fishing any recommendations for a beginner tourist on where to go?
Hiking would be good but the ball and chain can only go a few hundred metres before complaining.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Me and my missus are going down towards the end of the year. I'm a tassie boy so we are just going to hire a car and I'll show her around.

Try and get down the south east...A lot of nice places there. Dover namely, where I grew up.

Hastings caves are also quite nice. Definatly do Port Arthur. Also if you are up there, check out the midlands. Lots of nice places there, if you get the chance, stay at Brickendon Estate.

Salamanca markets in Hobart are pretty good to check out, that as well as the docks, make sure you drop into Mako Seafood for a feed, best fish and chips ever.

If I think or more, I'll post it up.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

I reckon RICHMOND is awesome.... has the oldest bridge in Australia, and they also have an old Gaol that you can tour...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_Bridge,_Tasmania

We went there with a 4yr old and a 2yr old.... so it was a little trying...

The other place that I HIGHLY recommend - though it takes a little bit of driving and walking... is HASTINGS CAVES....
http://www.discovertasmania.com/acti...astings_caves#
its about as far south as you can go in TAS, but it is amazing and well worth the walk...

Like I said, we went there with 2 young kids and basically had to carry them everywhere in and out of the cave... but it was well worth it....
Old 05-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Have you been to Tassie before? As said definitely book ahead for the middle of school holidays.

The Wilderness Railway from Strahan to Queenstown is a worthwhile, it is the historic train used for the copper mine, goes through some spectacular country and also interesting story to construct it.

The good thing in Tassie is that distances are not huge, but work on 60km/h average speed not ~90 everywhere except perhaps the hwy between Hobart and Launceston.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers guys.
XR6 661, the markets, what days are they on please, someone else recommended them
Old 05-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #11
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Freichenyet on the east coast (coles bay) is a must see, Wineglass Bay is listed as one of the best beaches in the world, once you go there you will see why
I live here and take it all for granted, and miss a lot, as we all do around our own area
but yeah hastings caves is great
Strahn on the west coast (gordon river) is a must see,, you can do a gordon river cruise in the morning, and the abt railway in the arvo
I guess its really what you like and wantto see
But Tassie is so compact, but such different scenery everywhere
As others have said, BOOK ACCOMODATION AHEAD
Bloody hard to get accomodation in Jan, most places have well in excess of 90% occupancy rates in Jan
Old 06-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #12
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers TS50, will do.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #13
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Cheers guys.
XR6 661, the markets, what days are they on please, someone else recommended them
Salamanca Markets are on Saturdays. Some very cool woodwork there. Certainly worth looking. Here's a link for you.

http://www.salamanca.com.au/
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Oh, not sure if they still do it, but if you want a thrill, go on the jet boat on the huon river.

As for Trout fishing, South of Dover, look for the esperence river...Used to fish there nearly every day with my dad as a boy, lots of fish in there...Oh and it's not trout fishing unless you use a fly rod!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #15
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelnic
have to go to strahan on the west coast. it is the most beautiful,relaxing place.also has the gordon franklin river cruises.everyone else that i know has gone there and loved the place.this is a place you have to go,you wont be disappointed!
Absorootry! This is the best place in Tassie. You must do the cruise, I drove the yacht most of the way up the river. If you are lucky you can be there at the time of the month when the yacht collects the kayakers that have been riding the whitewater down the river for a few days. If you get this the yacht is allowed to go more than 10km further up river than any other vessel and you stay overnight on the yacht near a nice waterfall. The roads down the west coast are also heaps better than the east coast. If you want somewhere to stay between Hobart and Strahan if going across the bottom then Tarraleah is a nice place to stay. A couple of photos I took during my yacht trip up the Gordon.

Last edited by mcnews; 07-10-2009 at 02:07 PM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 07:06 PM   #16
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

8 Days will rock in Tassie....

Bicheno and Strahn are both very nice.

The river cruise at Strahan was excellent, , Sarah Island was a nice place.

The cascade brewery is worth it.

I wouldnt book accomidation, , just roll up.

Other places that were good - - - -Stanley and "the Nut" , , , Cataract Gorge in Launceston, , , Wineglass bay, , , Devils Gullet, , , Port Arthur, , , There is a wildlife park just north of hobart ( cant remember the name ) , , , ,Ross ( nice old bridge ) , , , , There is also a pub south of launceston where they used to race formula 1, , , , Oh the Ghose tour in port arthur was cool, , , , , we also went on a night tour of the bay and river area in Hobart which was cool, , , , , PUB MEALS ! ! ! !, , , , , , Swansea on the east coast was nice and "old school"

now I wanna go back ! !
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #17
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just rock up in January??
hmm, could be sleeping in the car
Old 07-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #18
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks all, you've been great, I think we'll be busy, no sleeping in.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:25 AM   #19
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

My mum moved down there a few years ago and the wife, kids and I visited.

Really loved Port Arthur(kids got bored), did a drive up the guts and came back down the east coast. Missed out on visiting all the old pubs in Hobart (due to kids) Visited Richmond, missed the Cascade Brewery tour (kids again) Went to Cadbury factory (kids wanted to visit that, and it really made me understand that I had a wonderful job)

Really I think it''s a great place for adults to visit and I cant wait to get back there. Kids get bored pretty quick, so if you have them, leave them with the inlaws.

Pass on the Cadbury factory, it rates up there with Bart Simpsons visit to the box factory.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................

Last edited by Mark s; 08-10-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #20
ltd
Force Fed Fords

My parents live in Tasmania, and as many a journey down there I can give you some details that I have constantly had driven in to me on the way to their place from the airport.

* Tasmania is the worlds biggest producer of medicinal opiates ergo, the reason for all the poppy fields you'll see.
* Tasmania has police that actually do, um, policing. You will often see police by the side of the road with a radar; not a camera stuck in a bush.
* Because of Tasmanias lattitude, twilight is often around 9pm-9:30pm in Summer.
* Tasmania is used as the benchmark throughout the world for measuring air quality.
* There are more sheep in Tasmania than people.
* Tasmanian is often referred to as the "apple isle", but it is more commonly referred to for its shape resembling a certain part of the anatomy.
* Tasmania has the best conditions in the world for making riesling wine.
* The Japanese buy Atlantic Salmon only from the farms on the Gordon river in Tasmania; nowhere else.
* On any given hot day the waters at Bicheno are startlingly cold. This is due to strong antarctic currents.

You'll miss the Taste Festival in Hobart, but check out the Tamar Valley if that's your sort of thing.
Also, between Devonport and Ulverstone there are numerous Rasberry and Strawberry farms where you can pick your own; always fun with the kids. As everyone else has highlighted areas you should go to, I'd recommend that if you travel on the Spirit of Tasmania, you should get a cabin and not cruise seats.

Quote: