Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #31
Cam
Stroking it...

A funny publicity stunt, but that's about it..

The infrastructure is there to give us lightning speeds if we want it, just because the TELCO's charge mental amounts of money, the govt doesn't need to spend $$$$$$$ to give us fast ADSL.. They need to upgrade exchanges to allow more of the population to access ADSL, not fund free Satellite.. I have a friend that lives on the goldy (2 mins from wet and wild) and their exchange does not support ADSL, so they are on a sat connection, that was about 3k to install.. For gods sake spend the money somewhere it's needed..

I work in the industry and some of our clients are are using several Teamed Next G cards in SonicWalls to allow them to connect to a TS session to work, these are mining companies that have hundreds of million dollars to spend, its just ridiculous..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #32
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Was the test conducted on a business premisis with unrestricted bandwidth?

Comparing upload speeds of a connection that is most likely nobbled to 512kbps is disingenuous. If I bothered to go to the office, a 700MB file could be uploaded in less than a few minutes to the US - strap a pigeon to a Saturn V rocket and it'd still lose that race.

Businesses that are required to upload large data files, common sense dictates that they will have invested in the infrastructure to do so. If they haven't, no use pointing to the network and suggesting that carrier pigeons are a better alternative in distributing large files.

It's a loaded test to meet a pre-determined outcome, nothing more, nothing less.

I'd also suggest that most email servers would reject a 700MB file. The several I'm on most certainly do.
You work in a rural area? Cause I'm pretty sure it's a country comparison..
Old 31-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #33
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPWR
You work in a rural area? Cause I'm pretty sure it's a country comparison..
I work for a company that has many offices in city and regional areas and have worked out of a couple a few times to cover for guys going on holiday or installs where the local guys don't have the expertise.

My sister also lives outside of Brewarrina on a sheep farm, not there enough to test the limits of her internet connection but I'm sure I could devise a pigeon experiment that'll beat her connection every time without too much fuss.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #34
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

At the end of the day, ADSL in rural areas is a joke - no point arguing over the semantics of it. And anyone who says otherwise has clearly never left a capital city in their lives.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #35
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
At the end of the day, ADSL in rural areas is a joke - no point arguing over the semantics of it. And anyone who says otherwise has clearly never left a capital city in their lives.
I never claimed otherwise. My point was their testing methodology was bunk and the outcome was predetermined.
Old 31-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #36
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I think the whole point of the test has been lost on you mate....

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #37
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
I think the whole point of the test has been lost on you mate....
...and I think you don't understand my point. That's fine, nothing like sensationalism in the media to push their own agenda.
Old 31-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #38
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
They must be small businesses with no email quota - don't have to tell them not to, they won't be able to. Problem solved.
Yep tiny, ranging from maybe $600,000 to $80,000,000 turnover with up to 54 remote sites for the largest.

I design and build wide area internetworking systems including mail relays and have done so for over 15 years. There are also many others on here who do similar.

CS123, NBN is a joke. It is a political stunt designed to make people who have no idea of the reality of the size of Australia and logistical difficulties therein believe that they will be better off.

I have gigabit fibre to the salt mine and work with this stuff on a daily basis and am very aware of the issues involved.

Like high definition digital TV, 10 years after it was to "change Australia" half the country can still not get it and those that do are just getting almost the same crap at the same resolution.

Do any of these seem familiar?

No child will be living in poverty by 1990.
It is L A W....law.
The people of Australia do not want a GST so it is off the agenda

etc. etc. etc.

How about "Speed Kills" or "Every K over is a killer"

But the true believers will accept anything they are told. It was on TV/Internet/Hansard it must be true......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2009, 11:42 PM   #39
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
Since when could pigeons fly at 130km/h...
130km by road, not as the crow, or in this case, the pigeon flys.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #40
Scott

So, if you only want to send mail from "anywhere" to "your house", use a pigeon.... but what if you want to send an email to anyone else in the entire world??

If you wanted to email your next door neighbour in Bourke, it'd be faster to drive to Sydney, buy a KVM extender, drive it home, install it, pass the Monitor to your missus out the study window and hold it up at the fence for your neighbour to read the joke you could have just SMS'd him anyway.

(no, the homeowner is actually fearful uof wireless networking..... kills the baby corns I heard.)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post