Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Need for Speed Shift

Got this the other day, best need for speed game ive ever played, if anyone else has played it what did they think???

10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm thinking of getting this because I need a racing game and GT5 is taking so damn long. I thought it would be crap but looking at trailers it looks really good.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
damir05
turbomaniac

I’ve just returned my copy to video ezy, I’ve got to say it was awful. Physics of the game sucked, graphics vice it was ok. Forza 3 and GT5 are coming out soon that’s something to look forward to
damir05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
satria
FOXWHO

i was holding the pc copy tossing up whether to buy it or not and kept thinking to myself "how can you still ever go past rfactor?" and the idea of saving $100 was tempting :P so i went home and took a formula nippon for a thrash around the clipsal adelaide track in rfactor and i was happy with my decision

gotta admit though it's the 1st nfs that has tempted me to buy since most wanted i think it was?
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

The physics aren't great and if there weren't better racing simulators on the market I probably wouldn't mind it but it feels very meh to me.

Racing wise, I prefer rFactor or the GTR/Race franchise. For upgrades and bracket racing, I can't go past Forza 2... and with Forza 3 on its way, it just won't get much more of a look in from me.

I am contemplating Dirt 2 though, just about every review site gives it the nod over shift.. pity the PC version isn't out yet or I'd have it.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 12:19 AM   #6
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Started playing it - initially with keyboard and it was very ordinary. Hooked up the wheel and it's not that much better. The RWD cars are way too tail happy, so I've run an AWD Audi S3 so far and just got an S4 -full L2 upgrades - 750HP. But first event in Tier 2 for me was the head to head. Frustrating as you either slide around and watch the other car simply drive away or you get rammed mid corner.

Then with the PC version there's numerous cases of the game crashing on loadup. I've got around it, but now I'm running a lower resolution otherwise it crashes
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 12:27 AM   #7
BHDOGS
Banned

Its crap bring back the old style of need for speed
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
Its crap bring back the old style of need for speed
I loved the original, Need for Speed SE. Simple fast cars through traffic, no damage etc although thats fun aswell.

I also really liked the Porsche special they did.

Alot of games these days seem to try and pack way to much in, K.I.S.S!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I bit the bullet and got this game. Love it. It'd have to be the best racer to date on the PS3.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I bit the bullet and got this game. Love it. It'd have to be the best racer to date on the PS3.
hahahah.... every one else hangs s%^$ on it and then you come along.

I've always been a huge NFS fan on PC. Certanlly NFS SE, NFS3 and Porsche 2000 were the best. It seems to me that if there are no new games modes in a racing game then the reviewers thend to give them pretty low marks. Therefore EA try to add different modes all the time. If a new game gets the sales then EA assume that is was the new feature. For example Underground was the first to feature the tuning culture after Fast & Furious was realsed in the cinema. After that they insist on including the tuner scene in every NFS release. But of course the tuning culture isn't what made the NFS franshise in the first place.

The NFS Franchise is now 14 years old. Those who purchased it back in the day have grown up and been replaced by younger gamers who play for different reasons. As such EA have to evolve the game in keeping with the interests of the public. Obviosly their choices aren't always right.

An interesting note which I think made NFS SE so great was that the developers actually got ahold of the cars they were putting into the game and road tested them so that they could build the game as close to that experience as possible. This made the cars feel tottaly unique. No other game has done this, but instead hire race car drivers to test the game and give their feedback. This usually doesn't come back with the same result.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the new one but I'm not expecting much from the previews. Due to too much emphasis on the involvement from real race car drivers.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bought it just then, love it! Bought the Cosworth for my first car :
Old 23-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #12
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep on PS3 it is a top game, i have the GT500 super snake with the works it cracks ha ha, also just got the zonda
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #13
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Haha I got the 200sx as my first car! I now have a fully modded caymen S, 490ish HP I think. It certainly moves!

I find you have to really 'underdrive' the powerful cars. I've been keeping the caymen in 5th gear on most tracks and just rolling it on and winning easily!

You guys driven the veyron yet? When you do, stall it up on the handbrake to get it on boost then launch, talk about stomp and steer!

Drifting is fun as well to take off in 2nd or 3rd, car steps out haha.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Old 23-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #14
BLDNUT01

i got it for the PS3 as well and have found it not to bad the steering has a lack of sensitivity about it might try adjusting it in setting and i bought the RX8 for 1st car and just bought a new EVO i want so far level 11 any body tried it online yet
Old 23-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #15
damir05
turbomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDNUT01
i got it for the PS3 as well and have found it not to bad the steering has a lack of sensitivity about it might try adjusting it in setting and i bought the RX8 for 1st car and just bought a new EVO i want so far level 11 any body tried it online yet
i tryed it on xbox live its good expecially duel mode where you have to make you way to top throught rounds, but saying that physics and bloody glitches where i had to restart xbox few times turned me off so i just put forza 2 back in and did few laps on nurb in 430 :
damir05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 12:54 AM   #16
Danny
GT4.

As Mentioned before; The Porsche unleashed NFS was a MASTERPIECE. The very best most exquisite NFS made. It was clever, It was interesting, and provided a wealth of information on Porches past and present.

911 Turbo 996 on the Autobahn.. Wonderful. One of my favourite games as a teen
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #17
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

OK i picked it up yesturday for PC and had a play for a few hours.

Bought the Focus as my first car, painted it blue and put white stripes on it. Its sooo nice to drive MY car in a game from the cockpit view. pitty it is left hand drive.

Anyway as per above I found the steering a littel tricky as it is unresponsive to a few taps yet hold it down and you turn too much. Gonna take a little practice obviosly. I'm a little dissapointed with the modding of the cars. seems options a getter fewer and fewer since underground 2. Anyway so far the game seems OK. 7/10. Havn't played and drift events yet. It seems pretty clear to me that the game has based its idea on Race Driver GRiD but sadly not quite as good.

Old 27-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #18
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Have played it on PS3 and PC and it's a good driving simulator.

Favourite car at the moment is the GT500 (stock) but I'm working hard to get the SLR McLaren.

While a lot of people still complain that this GAME is not realistic enough, my view is that if you want realism, go out and drive a REAL performance car!

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #19
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor82
OK i picked it up yesturday for PC and had a play for a few hours.

Bought the Focus as my first car, painted it blue and put white stripes on it. Its sooo nice to drive MY car in a game from the cockpit view. pitty it is left hand drive.

Anyway as per above I found the steering a littel tricky as it is unresponsive to a few taps yet hold it down and you turn too much. Gonna take a little practice obviosly. I'm a little dissapointed with the modding of the cars. seems options a getter fewer and fewer since underground 2. Anyway so far the game seems OK. 7/10. Havn't played and drift events yet. It seems pretty clear to me that the game has based its idea on Race Driver GRiD but sadly not quite as good.
Try experimenting with the steering sensitivity and dead zone settings, it helps. I'm talking about PS3 though not PC but can't hurt to try.

The best feature about this game is the 'best line' overlay on the track I reckon
Old 28-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #20
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

The best line feature is great! Especially how it changes colours!

I just got the Porsche GT2, fully tuned. Awesome car. Doing all the tier 3 races now.
Can't stand the street circuits but!

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 28-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #21
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Try experimenting with the steering sensitivity and dead zone settings, it helps. I'm talking about PS3 though not PC but can't hurt to try.

The best feature about this game is the 'best line' overlay on the track I reckon
I had a play with it yesturday in fact I reduced both the sensitivity and the dead zone to 0% but I found the improvement was very small. I also turned the steering aids on as well.

The best line featre was also in NFS ProStreet and yes it does help however there is no featre to turn it off since I prefer to look at a "clean" screen free of distractions like the map and leaderboard.

Old 28-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Last good NFS game was HP2 on PS2. If you guys want a decent racing game while waiting for GT5/FM3, Midnight Club LA is worth a buy or at least a rent, hard learning curve and a bit difficult, but car customisation as in wheels/body/interior/brakes is insane.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #23
ch33z1l
Dawn

On the topic of PS3 games, has anyone played 'Eye of Judgement' with the cards and playstation eye? I played a similar card game in school called magic: the gathering, and am curious to give it a go. Just after some opinions.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #24
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
Have played it on PS3 and PC and it's a good driving simulator.

Favourite car at the moment is the GT500 (stock) but I'm working hard to get the SLR McLaren.

While a lot of people still complain that this GAME is not realistic enough, my view is that if you want realism, go out and drive a REAL performance car!
I'm one of those who often complains that these game are not realisitic for many different reasons, My complaints are usally things like in NFS Cabon, a blown supercharger sticking out of the bonnet was only a cosmetic upgradecertainlly over the years they are improving. . The fact is that it pretty unlikely that I'll ever get to drive a Veyron and as such playing these games is the closest I'll ever get to it.

However I do realise that it is just a game played by most with a keyboard or game controller. In terms of realisim I do want to see the FWD cars understeer as they would in real life and I'd like to see the modifications reasonably realistic as well, but not at the expense of the game. If a gamer can't control the car then they will just run off and play something else. Sadly I think this NFS has crossed the line with the handling physics and I'll most likey be returning to Race Driver Grid.

Old 28-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #25
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I Just Want Gt!!!!
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #26
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I hired this out for my 360, I liked it then got 2hrs in and I hate it. It is no simulator, the handling of the cars is terrible. Even after using certain fixes off the net it is not much better. I will however say it is the best NFS since MW.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The NFS series has always been arcade style racing games, when did it start getting a "simulator" reputation lol?
Old 28-09-2009, 11:35 PM   #28
paul84

I've been really considering getting this one, I try to avoid EA like the plague, exspecially anything with NFS affixed to the end of it. But there has been fair share of positive response to this one.
paul84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 11:39 PM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84
I've been really considering getting this one, I try to avoid EA like the plague, exspecially anything with NFS affixed to the end of it. But there has been fair share of positive response to this one.
Only EA products I buy are the Command and Conquer series, they've managed to screw that up too.