Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 31-07-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Default Did Ford do the right thing?

I know this thread might not last long but... this 888 maybe moving to Holden **** got me thinking.

Why did ford pull it's funding from 888. The team had won 3 Bathursts, a drivers championship etc. Yet they pulled funding to keep funding teams that were not representing the Ford brand as well.

I will admit I do not know the circumstances behind everything and am not pretending to know, but it just makes me wonder why.

Old 31-07-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well what ive read in the paper over the last couple of days , was that ford was scaleing back funding and the main reason 888 was not backed was because of the red vodafone car it is holdens colours and that the sponsers look did not reprissent the ford product
Old 31-07-2009, 12:49 AM   #3
Spudz27
Call me Spud

if that be the case pretty petty considering 888's success. I always refer to them as 888 falcon. Never once have I gone "oh that is holdens colours" never. To me it is just vodafones colour scheme.
Old 31-07-2009, 01:02 AM   #4
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Well in my opinion it was to be more than we can see.

Roland Dane from what I can imagine would have alot of demands from Ford. Reading from other forums, he was looking to buy HRT many years ago and Briggs was the only option. I think with 888 also having ties with Vaxhaul in the UK, Holden may have been the option to go for.

This is just my opinion. Maybe Ford expected certain things from it's sponsered teams and maybe Roland Dane and 888 were not one to meet the demands. Maybe they also made threats to move to Holden prior if demands were not meet.

Maybe Ford felt it was a waste to put further funds into a team that might walk away and thus put money into SBR (who have remained loyal) and the factory team in FPR.

Again these are just my views and many people have been quick to blame Ford and bash the company. I am sure there were reason behind the scenes, why Ford dropped sponsership.

Crap happens, lets get over it and enjoy our Fords.

To me the ultimate would be Holden getting sold off to some Indian/Chinese company and funded ceases due to no interest in motorsport.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Old 31-07-2009, 01:08 AM   #5
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Well the question is as the most successful team with multiple wins they will be getting plenty of sponsorship dollars so from Fords perspective why would you support someone who is rolling in money when you have 10 other fords that are struggling that need the money.

Either way 888 would be driving Fords and advertising for them and they would get some support through shells etc but wouldn't you want 1-2-3 at every race as opposed to 1, 1, 1 kinda thing?

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Old 31-07-2009, 06:37 AM   #6
HSVKILLA
moonlight rider

Well i heard comments quite a few times about how red the cars were from people that follow the v8's and others that only watch the enduros and some hated it,some even thought it was a holden(this was from people that don't watch or follow the v8s much)i personaly never thought to much about it but it makes a lot of sense to seperate yourself from team colours such as hrt,and trust me i even heard "awesome holden won bathurst,go holden"????? : .So i can see why it was a lot to do with the colouring cause some of the public are just dumb s*&ts.
Old 31-07-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

http://fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=49
Closed Thread